Keep an eye out for each other

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Atomic-Chomik
Website Donor
Website Donor

Keep an eye out for each other

Post by Atomic-Chomik »

One of the things thay allows us to have the fun we have in the ocean is the fact we look out for eachother. Sadly yesterday i had an incident where i busted myvsup leash wingfoiling and lost my board a good distance offshore. The foil on the board ensures it is all but impossible tobcatch and i was left floating on my wing. The two kiters(whos name i wont mention)inpassed on thecway our not even a minute before paid no heed to what was ocvuring/occured. I was no less than 200feet away at one point but they were oblivious to me and my calls asdistance. Just to be clear, i was not in trouble just could have used some assistance.

They carried on with their lawn mowing not looking anywhere and landed at the local residemcebwithout so much of a glance offshore. I was spotted by a number of otter point residences who noticed my oramge helmet and heard me trying to get the kiters attention.
At any rate, nearly an hour later i was blown into shore and luckily recovered my gear. Even with fire dept angvl searvh and rescue showing up(residenses called), the the kiters didnt even bother to scan the water.

All ended up fine. I know how to rescue and come prepared. What i will say is keep your eyes peeled on the water folks. Before you come in, look around to see if everyone is ok. We should be mindful of fellow sailers and they will reciprocate.
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

Yes, in fact it is an obligation:
"The master of a vessel in Canadian waters and every qualified person who is the master of a vessel in any waters shall render assistance to every person who is found at sea and in danger of being lost."
The Statutory Definition of “Vessel”
Federal statutory law defines a “vessel” to be “every description of watercraft or other artificial contrivance used, or capable of being used, as a means of transportation on water.”
Not saying the kiters heard or noticed and ignored, but we do have an obligation to look out for each other. I have witnessed excellent support from some folks in the community already and I believe most people here on BWD are like that.
If there's wind and you notice a kite or wing on the water for an unusual amount of time, that should be when you go have a look to make sure.
If wind dies and someone is out in the water and you're the last one there, stick around to make sure they can return safely to shore.

Last note -- windsurfing seems to have the fewest issues. :wink:
eastside

Post by eastside »

Get a set of binoculars. I have used them multiple times to find people. It’s impossible to see someone floating in the water at any distance in rough seas without them. Search and rescue needs some idea where people are or might be. It’s a big ocean. Keep track of who is out there and who you haven’t seen in awhile. Phone search and rescue sooner rather than later. Wear bright colours, including helmet, vests. We are all in this together. It’s all good until it’s not. Recent incidents as above and with DavidM prove this.
Atomic-Chomik
Website Donor
Website Donor

Wing rescue

Post by Atomic-Chomik »

Just to note Eastside, i use an orange helmet and that is why the people on the hillside at Otter Point saw me. This is intentional.
And yes, the level of care and attention we carry ouselves with while looking out for others is normally excellant, i agree!

As well to note, self rescue on a "wing" is quite awkward and not very efficient.
TonyInVancouver

Post by TonyInVancouver »

Fox 40 whistle.
Atomic-Chomik
Website Donor
Website Donor

Whistle

Post by Atomic-Chomik »

The people onshore 1km away heard me. The only reason the kiters didnt see or hear me is just didnt look. Believe me i was watching them.
The point is, look around.
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

That is an unfortunate event.

I wonder whether the kiters were wearing headphones? I have seen a number of folks talking about the best waterproof ear buds on this forum and have consistently cautioned using them - mainly for collision avoidance reasons.

This is another reason - we should all have our senses tuned to others around us to both render assistance as well as avoid collisions. Hope the board shows up.
Atomic-Chomik
Website Donor
Website Donor

Earphones

Post by Atomic-Chomik »

Ya i got the board back as it blew into the middle of Gordans beach proper. I couldnt help but thinking earphones may have been involved as well.
HiyoSilver

Post by HiyoSilver »

That’s frustrating man! To me it’s seem natural to look around and watch fellow water sporters to make sure there are okay. It’s a big ocean and anything could happen , really. We often think we are invincible with our high tech gear but we are playing in Mother Nature and she has no compassion! Sorry but it seems like it are always kiters (mowing the lawn) being inconsiderate... are the schools not teaching proper water sport etiquette?? When I was a wsurf instructor, that was a standard item of the curriculum.
Last edited by HiyoSilver on Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

A good hockey player knows where everyone else is on the ice, not everyone is a good hockey player :idea: ... and your team mates were in the dressing room

....Therefore you can’t rely on that, Potty. Glad you got in and you are still with us!!

Now: Watch out for number three, it surely is coming!!! :!: :shock:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Atomic-Chomik
Website Donor
Website Donor

Kus-turd

Post by Atomic-Chomik »

True Kus. When i go out in any fashion i go prepared to handle any "rescue" situation i may encounter. I just putvthis up as a reminder to others to keep an eye out for eachother-like you said with your hockey analogy.