No votes
We should allow private comments on a session
29%

Total votes: 17

Russian Dood

Sailing log support

Post by Russian Dood »

Hey, guys

I opend this topic to have a place for Sailing log support/discussion. Feel free to ask any question related to SL, I'll try to do my best answering them.

Andrey
Last edited by Russian Dood on Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Russian Dood

Private records in a sailing log

Post by Russian Dood »

Kook St. Kite Kook: Hey Russion Dood Thanks for making the Sailing Log! It is really neat. I do have a question for you though: It says that "It's your own personal diary" when you make an entry in the personal log, so why does it show up in the common log? What if I want to keep track of my session without sharing with the world? Is this not possible, or am I doing something wrong? Thanks! - Jul 14 1:14PM
I was thinking about it , and I decided to leave it open for a least a first request, I did'n know how valuable htat option would be, so thanks for asking.

I have few points in mind when we are talking about private records.
  • Private log would involve some kind of setting it up in user profile or some place else, for the sake of usability/simplicity, I'd like to avoid that
    As an alternative we could use private records.
    As an alternative to private records we could use private comment in the records.
    And last thing. Those records would still be used for statistics.
What do you think is the best?
morewind

Post by morewind »

The public format looks great to me. If people want private records then perhaps they can buy a log book and and keep their own records :?:
bwd
Developer
Developer

I vote for public too

Post by bwd »

morewind wrote:The public format looks great to me. If people want private records then perhaps they can buy a log book and and keep their own records :?:
Good point. I vote for public too. I like the format now. Everyone benefits if we keep it open and viewable to all.

It will be cool to look back in a year or so and see how many kiteable days there were at Kook in June-July and how many wsurfable days there were at Gordons. Hopefully more people will register in the forum now and we can decrease the anonymous "guest" postings.
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
Russian Dood

Private log records

Post by Russian Dood »

Now we have a poll, and I win so far
bwd
Developer
Developer

Re: Private records in a sailing log

Post by bwd »

Russian Guy wrote: I have few points in mind when we are talking about private records...What do you think is the best?
Another point. Maybe the option for private comments can be added to the "to do list". But getting the edit function to work, viewing records and stats would be way cooler.
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

Absolutelly, plan is a plan. I'll finish up whatever I started and then I'll implement some new ideas
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Just one question - what happens when we have 2374 entries in the db? will they all be visible?Viewing the personal diary will be no problem (I would love to have more than a couple of dozen!!!!!!!!!!!), but the total will build fast. Stat functions are going to be neat. will the data be available to do things like regression analysis on windspeed vs. sail size for us weird geeks?
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

I'm with the "Kook". I like the personal log concept! I was looking forward to keeping personal gear tweaking secrets that would allow me to always have that slight edge on you all. You could still use/pull statistics from my log (with written consent [-X )
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);
Wings:Duotone v2 Unit 4.0, 5.5m; v3 Unit 3.0
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu
Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

we go to the next page after 2373 sessions, so 2374 sessions sould be ok since we'll have just 2 pages :). Just kidding.

Log organized as "flames" - 25 sessions (Dave, correct me if I'm wrong) per page. And in the log you can see only first 255 characters of the comment. don't freak out, it's not wasted, it's there, the idea was to use "View" button to see whole thing (work in progress though)
Kite Kook

Sailing Log

Post by Kite Kook »

Hmm. Thanks for answering my question, I just thought I was doing something wrong.

I think the log you have made is excellent, and I am all for the sharing of the basic statistics like windspeed and direction, basic comments etc.

I was thinking, however, that it would be awesome if we could eventually have private comments that aren't viewable by everyone. This way we could have a brief comment for the public, and more for us. There are many aspects of a session that are great for me to note to myself for learning but would bore to tears anyone who happened upon my log.

For Example: "Nailed my first attempt at a double kite-loop handle pass" would raise my stoke but make me sound like a swollen headed psychopath. Similarily, "managed to stay upwind and steer clear of Grant's kite" might make me happy but make me sound like an absolute goof, even if it is closer to the objective truth!

Anyway, thanks again for the log, look forward to learning from it.

Cheers,

Paul
Vive et Ama
~ pimp hand ~

Re: Sailing Log

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

Kook St. Kite Kook wrote:Hmm. Thanks for answering my question, I just thought I was doing something wrong.

I think the log you have made is excellent, and I am all for the sharing of the basic statistics like windspeed and direction, basic comments etc.

I was thinking, however, that it would be awesome if we could eventually have private comments that aren't viewable by everyone. This way we could have a brief comment for the public, and more for us. There are many aspects of a session that are great for me to note to myself for learning but would bore to tears anyone who happened upon my log.

For Example: "Nailed my first attempt at a double kite-loop handle pass" would raise my stoke but make me sound like a swollen headed psychopath. Similarily, "managed to stay upwind and steer clear of Grant's kite" might make me happy but make me sound like an absolute goof, even if it is closer to the objective truth!

Anyway, thanks again for the log, look forward to learning from it.

Cheers,

Paul
you could always use the PM(private message) function with anyone who's registered, and who has selected to 'allow pm's'
asscrack

passing wind log

Post by asscrack »

I have averaged about 300 hours of kiting so far this year,Yah-Hoooo!!!!!!
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING and Life is a beach
JL

Post by JL »

8) I don't have a record, but I have been pulled over for speeding!!
Thermals are good.
asscrack

speeding

Post by asscrack »

I was speeding again in Ross Bay,yesterday.Lit on my 12 meter,legs were like jello after hours of ripp'n in up.Jap tourist's loved it ,ha! :lol:
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING and Life is a beach