Directions to Nitinat - with photos

Add photos, maps and directions to sailing spots on or off the Island.
mortontoemike

Directions to Nitinat - with photos

Post by mortontoemike »

I noticed that the directions to Nitinat formerly at http://www.kitesurfer.ca/nitinat.html are no longer available. I have made up a set complete with photo illustrations. See below.

If anyone has anything to add to the directions let me know and I will add your corrections, improved timings, interesting anecdotes about the drive, flat tire stories, etc.
Last edited by mortontoemike on Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
I wish my TOW was longer!
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Illustrated Directions to Nitinat Lake:
Prepared by mike blades () on August 4, 2005

Take the Island highway #1 to Duncan from Victoria OR Nanaimo. Just north of Duncan, take highway #18 West to Cowichan Lake. From the turnoff it is about a 25 minute drive to the lake. When you get close to Cowichan town (2 km), the highway splits into two possible routes, one on the south side of the lake, the second on the north side. Since the road to Nitinat is at the west end of the lake, it's pretty much a toss-up. The north route, through Youbou, is shorter and my preferred route. Follow the road through Youbou until you come to a gravel road.

Welcome to the road to paradise. Turn on your headlights, pay attention, drive carefully, and remember that loose gravel is like ice. Watch for approaching vehicles and if someone is hound-dogging you from behind, be polite and let them pass and be on their hurried way. This road is an active logging road. You will probably meet fully loaded logging trucks. Give them lots of room to get by.

When you have reached the end of lake, about 24 km from Youbou, there is a 'T' intersection (see below). Nitinat is about 25 km from this intersection. Go straight (actually, it looks like a little to the right in this picture).

The left turn will take you along the south of the lake back to Cowichan. Continue along the road across a single lane bridge (after a few minutes driving). The road gradually swings back left until you come to another T-intersection. The left turn is blocked so you have to turn right.

Keep driving. After about 15 or 20 minutes you will come to the first of 3-one lane bridges. BE CAREFUL on the approach to these bridges. You can't see approaching traffic and many drivers speed on this road.

This is the approach to the Trestle bridge over Veman Creek. Slow down!

Trestle bridge over Vernon Creek.

There are some places on the road where you have to make choices. See below. The road to the left is an active logging road and will not get you to Nitinat. The road to the right is, wider, in better shape, and is clearly more traveled. Look for the signs to direct you. There are some places, usually wet, that are prone to potholes. Keep and eye out for them.

After another 10 minutes or so you will come to the trestle bridge over Granite creek. Careful on this one too! If you look carefully you will see the dent in the bridge on the left where a van smacked into the side after losing control on the approach due to high speed and a wet road. When this happened, I was in about the same place that this picture was taken and thankful for the extra 2 seconds it took me to get here.

A few more minutes drive and you cross the trestle bridge over Tenas Creek. Careful again!

After crossing the bridge you will take the right side of the Y-junction. The left side has been closed off for several years.

The sign at the Y-junction says CAUTION and is good advice because you never know when you might meet logging traffic (see below) going either way and there are some sharp turns that sneak up on you on this section.

About 15 or so minutes from the Y-junction, you come to a major T-intersection. Turn left to go to Nitinat, right to go to Port Alberni or Bamfield.

After the turn you will see a sign on the left hand side of the road (the sign is actually gone now. The posts are still there though) that says:

You are about 10-15 minutes from your goal.

When you come to this Y-junction, take the right branch NOT the left. There are signs that say "GAS - MOTEL" and other stuff.

After a few minutes on this road you will get your first view of Nitinat Lake. Maybe there will be some whitecaps to get you all excited! I see signs of a fog bank at the other end of the lake. The campground is about 10 minutes away. Try not to speed.

Enter Nitinat village. Go SLOW and watch for dogs and children playing or on bicycles. SLOW! If you need a telephone, gas, food, or a nice breakfast, there is a store, the building with the green roof in the distance straight ahead.

Keep to the left through the village and watch for the unmarked speed bumps, logs, rocks, etc.

Turn right at the "Nitinat Lake Provincial Forest Recreation Site" sign.

Follow the road to the water and campsites.

Check the wind, rig up and go sailing. Check with the locals for the appropriate sail size

Notes: I have taken the road many times in my 1996 Saturn which is hardly an off-road vehicle and it still seems to work OK. The road is generally in pretty good shape although there are small protruding rocks here and there to look out for. Flat tires are common. The driving time on the non-paved portion is about 1 hour. It can be very dusty when the weather is dry so cover your bicycle and anything else you don't want dust to get into.

At the campsite: The Dididaht Band maintains the campground for the Forestry Service. There are outhouses and some sites have picnic tables and fire pits. There is a small grocery store in the Nitinat Nation Village (and a gas station). There is also a Motel with a washer and dryer and shower.
Last edited by mortontoemike on Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:30 am, edited 5 times in total.
greg

Post by greg »

Can a link be provided to a printable format. I mean so when I print it it doesn't cut off the right hand side of the page. Or is there some free software I can download off the net and do the same thing.
thanks alot in advance.
cheers greg :lol:
bwd
Developer
Developer

PDF available

Post by bwd »

greg wrote:Can a link be provided to a printable format. I mean so when I print it it doesn't cut off the right hand side of the page.
Hey Greg: a printable PDF version can be found >> here << (~1 MB).
dave
greg

Post by greg »

Thanks BWD that was a fast reply.
have a good one.
cheers greg :lol:
extra_chrisb

Post by extra_chrisb »

Google Maps Sattelite View and Directions from Nanaimo to Youbou: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q ... 3&t=k&om=1

Another Good Map: http://www.tourismvictoria.com/Content/EN/1052.asp
Kite Bytes - Vancouver Kiteboarding Blog
http://www.kitebytes.com
tbrown

any chance of ??

Post by tbrown »

edited/rewritten... I totally botched this. I followed a maps.google.com path that didn't match the described one, and then bitched that Mike's directions didn't match what I saw :(

Having not actually gotten there, I'm not sure the destination in the images below is correct, but hopefully posting this may help someone else avoid the error. (And IMHO having a high level view of the route is not a bad thing.)

RIGHT (?):

WRONG (basically unused logging road):
Last edited by tbrown on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Aside from following the north shore main past the lake and keeping going, there are really only two real turns, a right and a left. So those instructions actually over complicate it.

The right is the first photo and the left is the one with a clear sign saying left to nitinat and right to PA. The rest is just following the winding road and is pretty self explanatory. From the sounds of how list you were you must have started off in the wrong direction from the get go, probably at the end of the lake.

Last time I did the trip from Langford in two hours, so it gives you an idea of how lost you were.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
tbrown

Post by tbrown »

yeah. sigh. I'll go dive back in to the cider. Did get look at the Jordan River and find Gordon's Beach on the return trip...

sigh...

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en& ... +BC+Canada

frig... I can't get it to display the path it was showing an hour ago... which included a back track down south shore rd and a route down caycuse rd. (WHICH, IF IT IS SHOWN, IS WRONG!)

totally losing. :( No current plans for a retry :(
Last edited by tbrown on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
firstonlastoff

Post by firstonlastoff »

When you re-capture the mojo, pretend to be doing something near the end of the pavement on the West end of Youbou, wait for a vehicle to go by with kite gear (if visible) or windsurf gear, and then follow that vehicle Hollywood-movie-stealth-style - keep the dust cloud at a minimum (dust will be heavy in corners where there is no wind - you certainly don't need to be in the heavy dust cloud from the vehicle you are following). Be vigilant at intersections, but follow that cloud. (Waiting in Youbou, vehicles will go by based on posts on this website's message-board, or on near-weekend mornings about 1 hour after ferry arrives in port.)

(My guess is you took a left that I took many years ago (on the South road around Cowichan ~2/3 of the way westbound) before I realized my buddy's vehicle's dust cloud was absent, about 1 km, did a 180 turn, fast back to intersection, and easy catch-up to the dust cloud…)
tbrown

Post by tbrown »

yeah. sigh. follow the vehicles that aren't there...

< stealth mode, you can't see me ... I drank too much cider :) >

FOLLOW THE printed INSTRUCTIONS, DO NOT TRUST YOUR TECH GEAR.
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Tbrown. Sorry that you found the directions confusing. I put waypoints in, the bridge trestles, so people confirm that they were on the right track. When you drove for 20 min past the end of Cowichan Lake and didn't cross the first bridge that should have tipped you off. Try again. I'm sure you will find the lake.

Nanmoo. I don't see how the directions are complicated but whatever.

FOLO. I got a kick out of your suggestion. Drive to Youbou and follow the cloud of dust!

As an aside I would not trust Google Maps directions when it comes to logging roads.

Happy sailing all.

Mike
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I just mean that all the bridge shots are more then what is required since you can't really miss them if you're on the right road. But you're right, they would act as good confirmation of that.

In another thread there's a GPS file, that would be as fool proof as things could get.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
tbrown

Post by tbrown »

mortontoemike wrote:Tbrown. Sorry that you found the directions confusing.
No, this wasn't your fault. This was my lack of prep, and over-trust of my phone. If I had printed off your instructions I would have been fine. (or even copied the PDF to my phone.)

Add this to the many stories of idiots blindly following their GPS :(
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

could also use a map and compass? no?