Camping/kiting for the 2 months on the island..where to go??

Add photos, maps and directions to sailing spots on or off the Island.
Ferguson

Post by Ferguson »

Hi
Myself, from Scotland, and my wife from Denmark have just finished our 9 month working stint and are ready to reward ourslves with some summer kiting. Heard from local kiters here that the island is where its at...so thats where we're headed. Wondering where anyone would suggest going for an 8week kite session - would like to stay put somewhere in our camper - use our scooter to get around, so all advice appreciated - read quite a bit about Nitnat and Campbell river, my worries are:

Having to pay for camping every night at Nitnat?
Nitnat being overrun with kids on beach/ kiters off?
Campbell river not being as strong/reliable wind as Nitnat?

We are both confident kiters with a decent ability level..so wheres best to chill for the next 2 months??

Many thanks in advance
Dougie
(wingers need not reply)
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

What is a winger?
Don't forget to bring a towel!
duckbill

kiting

Post by duckbill »

nitnat is the most reliable for kiting in summer
Kids are allowed everywhere
its hard to find free camping on the island
like a duck to water
JL

Post by JL »

http://www.bigwavedave.ca/wiki/index.php/Sailing_Guide You might enjoy the http://www.juandefucamarinetrail.com/ as a diversion ... Gordons beach (Tugwell creek) is a great July spot ... It's possible to camp in the hills of Sooke discretly 8)
Thermals are good.
Ferguson

Post by Ferguson »

A winger is a Scottish word for someone who complains and moans all the time...seen a few of them on here...like all forums! :)

Yea reliable wind is our no.1 priority so maybe Nitnat is the best option

Come on folks, someone must know a good insiders tip?......

I know your gonna want the low down on secret camp and kite spots in Scotland & Denmark soon enough :lol:
pow+pow

Post by pow+pow »

worked for 9 months and cant afford some minimal camping fees? kids a problem? WINGER!!!!!!
downwind dave

Post by downwind dave »

i think your nuts to want a single spot, there is so much to check out on the island, from the lakes to the straits to the west coast... anyway if its cheap n kid free you want Nimpkish is your spot.. take lots of groceries and DEET.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I know a great place in northern Scotland :idea: you might need some beefy tires for your scooter tho
SMACK

Post by SMACK »

Hang your hat at Nimpkish lake and call err good. Ask around, you'll find it
:)
Chase the day, not the dollar.
Ferguson

Post by Ferguson »

Thanks to all who have given some good advice and tips, can anyone quantify just how bad the 'worst' bit of the road to Nitnat is...we have a '77 Econoline :roll:

MESSAGE TO POW+POW:
have you ever actually kitesurfed? ...if you have you would know that Kids and kites dont work well on the same beach...I've seen some insanely dangerous launch areas full of families! Oh yea and have you ever worked minimum wage in canada - $8 an hour before tax!! NO we haven't saved much money and certainly can afford to spend $1200 on camping for 2 months! :cry:
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

ferguson,

A couple of notes for you. Beaches are crowded regardless if there are kids or not. It is YOUR responsibility to ensure when you are about to launch and land (and your launcher/lander)that it is safe at that moment to do so. With that said...Nitinaht has few children on the beach within the launch zone of where you are supposed to launch and land. It is a large area with more than enough room. Should there be someone on the beach a polite (or not so polite if need be) word would resolve the situation. As for camping fees, well the other fella is right, not alot of places on the island that are a free lunch, however creativity has worked well for others in the past.

I will say that there are more and more people using the kiting areas (more kiters now) so it is even more important for all users of the water to be courteous, observant and respect the advise of the locals when they offer it.

Cheers and enjoy your summer

Dale
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
AC

Bleep

Post by AC »

Go South!!
GWIND

NITNAT

Post by GWIND »

GO to Nitnat- you got to say U was there, can be very good there. The road can be smooth or real bumpy. Go slow it's only over an hour on gravel. It's a pretty flat road just potholes are a problem. Just ignore everyone, well except me. this week should be hot.
AC

Post by AC »

Kennedy Lake can be good, sometimes you get a thermal between the lakes, Good fishing, even caught some nice cray fish in there.
Its free. but the locals can be unpredictable.
At least when you pay a Small fee there is a good chance you will be safe, and maybe even have a life guard present.
pow+pow

Post by pow+pow »

dougie there is no "beach" at nitnat so there are no kids or for that matter anyone swimming or frolicking...too cold and salty...there is a launching area along the water...it is 10 bucks per car/family a day...nitnat is done sept 10 the road is fine...see ya there
johnny