Comox Area Sailing

Add photos, maps and directions to sailing spots on or off the Island.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Hey at least he started with dude and ended with peace, can't be that mad!
Don't forget to bring a towel!
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

In my opinion, JR-style posturing and intimidation is a lame way to protect a spot that isn't so secret. Our community of Island sailors is small; G-Daddy is sharing some stoke here that realistically won't affect the pressure placed on Comox for kiting or windsurfing. First, from the south Island, the drive is too far to Comox for most people. CB is even too far most S. Island sailors and yet it offers some of the best windsurfing on the Island (oops, "secret's" out now). If CB is too far for most to drive, Comox won't suddenly be flooded by hordes of flat-water sailing aficionados in the middle of the winter (when most of the sailing is done by a rare few). The people who are kiting and sailing these spots, for the most part, have been doing so for a long time and have shared the beta with their friends. Most of us know that Comox offers some great sailing opportunities (both flat-water and waves), yet it remains a pretty under-utilized resource for wind enthusiasts. I don't think it's in danger of exploding into a Hood-River theme park. Island winter windsurfing/kiting is comprised of a pretty core group of slightly insane (in a good way) individuals.

Keep it friendly, and if you're new to a spot, respect the regulars and ask a few questions about the spot's unique aspects and etiquette.
Poultry in motion
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Is the use of the word "beta" a generational thing and that is why I am not getting it?
KJ

Post by KJ »

Seems to be a welcoming and friendly vibe at the Spit the times I have been there. Typical of the island spots I have been. I'm a valley resident for a while now but new to the scene.

G-Daddy's correct that there is a limited flatwater corridor for kiting but seeming lots of room otherwise.

Boats gone - unlikely. But would be nice! :D
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

nanmoo wrote:Is the use of the word "beta" a generational thing and that is why I am not getting it?
Jush gimme a sec while I take m'teef outta thish glash of water...

"Beta" means information. Climbers and mountaineers use the term and it has crossed over into other sports' lexicons.

( Shaking cane at Nanmoo while clutching walker) Now GIT with all your "Fly" clothes and fancy-shmancy quad-whatchamacallzits.
Poultry in motion
Globe

Post by Globe »

a few things I know about the spit...

1. Bubble effect: usually occurs in late summer/early winter and spring. Wind is visible and likely present at other spots, read: alders etc. but a "bubble" seems to form around the bay area.

2. When kiting and wind shifts out of the west this usually*** means the system is passing and is done. However, this will also happy occassionaly between mini-systems... (not the technical term), this happened on saturday. Good early in the day, died/shifted west, then returned.

3. If and when it shifts west it is possible that it could eventually turn NW... which is really bad if your on a kite. (power lines....)
I have only seen this happen once while on the water.

4. go around the outside of the spit and come back into the bay or vice versa - worthwhile trek... (however, don't do it in marginal conditions because the end of the spit is gusty and less reliable.

5. Going up wind on the outside to the reef isn't too bad - going all the way to treeisland... more difficult. Might need/want a support boat for that.

6. watch out for the (sometimes hidden) large rocks on the right hand side of the bay.

7. That's all I know. happy kiting/windsurfing!
eastside

Post by eastside »

One of the great things about kiting/windsurfing on the island is we don't have "localism". Let's keep it that way. With knowledge, respect, and discussions such as this forum it should stay that way. It is highly unlikely I would go to Comox on a regular basis but I would like to think I would be welcomed. I enjoyed reading G-Daddy's and other Comox sailors posts, and sailing logs. I hope they continue. If not for the posts, beta, discussion, webcam on this site Wild West Watersports would probably not have gone to Port Alberni. And without their facility there would be no kiting access to the harbour. It would still be a "secret" spot. The irony is that the poster was new to the area. So just when did he become a local?
waterman

Comox Sailing/Kiting Spots.

Post by waterman »

Coming from a windsurfer who I think is considered a local, ( sailed here for 25 years) I would like to say that personally that the new addition of local sailors and kiters is good, its good for the stoke and its good for the camaraderie that goes along with belonging to such a great sport. Their is more than enough room at the spit for all, and for those that think that there is not well thats your opinion and thats ok too. I think that the bottom line is that their is no place for any type of localism at any time, and most locals know the spit is only one place of many for us to enjoy :D
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

eastside wrote:One of the great things about kiting/windsurfing on the island is we don't have "localism".
Speak for yourself! Those up-island agro-locals are always snaking the best parking spots at CB!
Joostio
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Joostio »

Tree Island:

I have wondering about tree island for several years now. It has a super long sand bar potruding from the north side of it. It is ofetn windier on the outside of tree island but some days around 25kts plus it fills in on the inside too. Last week I tired to sail to Tree island, I got 2/3'ds there before the wind backed off. To get there on a good day you would need a jetski, inflatable or a comfortable larger boat. I would not venture out there in my 16 foot aluminum boat, a jet ski would be safer and allready have the wetsuit on. I have been living with Tree Island in my view for 6 years and I have the itch to sail there, how are qwe going to make this happen?

Kiters: there is another place that may be great for you flat water enthusiasts. Just south of the Denman island ferry terminal on Fanny Bay side that has a large low piece of land. The water would be flat behind it on a SE and has potential to compare to the Spit. Might be worth checking out. Its quite close to the ferry, maybe google earth it...
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I have an 8' RIB with a 8HP outboard... we could do it...
eastside

Post by eastside »

So who is Gilligan and who is the Skipper?
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

More importantly is Ginger coming?
GregK

Post by GregK »

A reminder to KITERS visiting Goose Spit on a medium or low tide and opting to ride on the outside or Bayes Sound side of the spit :

Do not launch or land your kite on the beach upwind of the spit road and power lines, because there's no downwind margin should the launch/land go sour. A kite wrapped over a dog-walker, a car, or powerline could jepordize Goose access.

Walk down to or park at the last small parking lot at the west end of the spit and walk west out in front of the cadet base. Launch & land there, as any downwind excursion will put you on military property, not parkland.

Please don't use the excuse " I never have problems launching/landing" because you might not, but the beginner who sees you taking chances with our access will think it's OK for him or her to do so as well. So please respect our local custom, nobody launches on the upwind beach at Goose.
Comox Kite Repair ( retired )
Joostio
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Joostio »

The out side is for windsurfing anyways.