Road to Nitinat - May 1, 2011

Add photos, maps and directions to sailing spots on or off the Island.
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Road to Nitinat - May 1, 2011

Post by Bobson »

The road (Youbou side) to Nitinat was great. One sink hole just past 1/2 way point on way in, any long trailers or low riderz beware. Other than that one issue it was 9/10. Campsite is pretty well how it was summer. Nothing hugely out of place except that only 2 people were there and it amazing! Warm(ish) and steady 15-18kts. Water was chilly(ish) had to wear a wetsuit(3/2), although coulda wore the shorty.....it woulda been cool.
Good Times,
BOBSON!!
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Any newbies that don't know Bobson - he has his own metabolism and heat generation. His conditions translate to at least 5/3 and a hoodie and boots for normal people :!: :!: :roll:

Sounds great - especially considering that it wasn't sunny on the east coast. Sounds like a Nat weekend is in order - if I can get over this stupid flu!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

don't forget, you can throw at least 'extreme' caution to the wind :lol: :oops: when you sail on boards others would use for going fishing or go for a paddle :D

thx for the report Bobbleson, glad to see you back at it :wink:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Stammy

Post by Stammy »

Anybody hear if this discussion on paving road to Nitinaht has gained any traction?

http://www.cowichanvalleycitizen.com/cv ... t-1.661050
Moderate Wind Mateo

Post by Moderate Wind Mateo »

It won't happen because it is primarily a forest service road, and If it was paved the back road logging trucks couldn't use it. Also keep in mind that all that land is owned by Island timberlands so what they want is what they do
TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

They did pave from Lake Cowichan to Renfrew. I guess you can't take those giant logging trucks on that road? I haven't seen one just lots of regular sized ones.
Give'R
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Moderate Wind Mateo wrote:It won't happen because it is primarily a forest service road, and If it was paved the back road logging trucks couldn't use it. Also keep in mind that all that land is owned by Island timberlands so what they want is what they do
Partially true. Forest Service roads are on Crown lands. Crown land starts just after the end of the lake. So the section from Youbou to there is a private resource road owned by TimberWest (generally speaking Island Timberlands operates mostly north of the Nanaimo River Watershed Divide with Timberwest operating south of that). After that it is a public Forest Service road. In the image Orange is Private land, Pink is Crown land, and blank is unstatused Crown land. As Dave notes the road to Renfrew was paved and is still an active hauling road, as are many paved routes through the interior. I imagine Timberwest would have no problem if the Ministry wanted to take over that section of private road and pave what is essentially a public thoroughfare. It would save them the liability and pain of grading it.

By the way, I was out there a couple weeks ago, and even though there has been little rain and they are hauling out of Heather and beyond, the road is shocking, just shocking, in Winter.
Attachments
cow.JPG
cow.JPG (56.1 KiB) Viewed 7338 times
Don't forget to bring a towel!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

you guys are all getting way off the topic, the road to Nitinat in may 2011. your thoughts and feelings. i recall it was pretty bumpy but not too dusty.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

downwind dave wrote:you guys are all getting way off the topic, the road to Nitinat in may 2011. your thoughts and feelings. i recall it was pretty bumpy but not too dusty.
and more importantly, May is only three short months away 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Snarfer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Snarfer »

I'm with Kus - positive focus - 3 months is short. Can hardly wait.
Moderate Wind Mateo

Post by Moderate Wind Mateo »

So am I the only one who actually enjoys driving on a gravel road??
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Moderate Wind Mateo wrote:So am I the only one who actually enjoys driving on a gravel road??
Maybe it's the hundreds of dollars spent on CV joints, new shocks, tires, the paint chips, the repaired frames, and the near death experiences etc that has some less than stoked about that particular little gravel road.
Poultry in motion
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

road to Nitinat

Post by Bobson »

Now that I have RBG :shock: again, I'm hoping for April...maybe Easter again..??
Good Times,
BOBSON!!
Stammy

Post by Stammy »

Hey Nanmoo, any way you can explain what all the different colours of that map mean.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

It's in the post above the map.

Unstatused crown means it has never been properly surveyed or subdivided, but in all likelihood is crown land.
Don't forget to bring a towel!