Vancouver Island Storm Chase

Add photos, maps and directions to sailing spots on or off the Island.
redbaron
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by redbaron »

I want to start a forum about South East winds around Vancouver Island and possibilities of exploring new spots and epic conditions. :twisted:
Obviously for most of us willing and crazy enough to sail the winter months, it is safer to go to the familiar spots where there are other people and the conditions are fun and easily navigated by experienced riders.
I have a feeling that the most of the spots are already discovered, and thats way we stick to nicer launch sites and more fail safe steady wind spots like: Willows, Island View, San Pareil, Columbia, Goose Spit. (Wiki Sailing Sites)

I am more curious about the Westcoast around Tofino and port tack wave riding Spots like: North and South Chestemans, Cox Bay, Long Beach, Wick and Flo.
Im not sure how many successful attempts people had wave riding the west coast on SE winds? But I would be willing to try a few of these spot on a smaller swell day. Also It would be nice to know what the SE wind is like on the Westcoast. Its been forever since I gone there on a stormy day. It would be great to have some input.

Looking at a map N. Chest and the south end of Cox would produce clean side off. I SUp-sailed N.Chestermans once and I found the waves a little to gnarly for the SUP boards. Im thinking on a stronger wind day with a better swell direction that place could be fun on proper gear.

Also, Im sure the stars have to align perfectly (tide, swell, current, wind) for a lot of the unexplored SE spots around the Island to work well and you have to be at the right place at the right time to experience epic conditions. Unless you have a love for dangerous winter sailing, It would be hard to justify spending the time and money to explore these spots, but its would be nice to know they exist and the possibilities are there.

Cheers.
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

this winter I'd like to organize a run from the Oak Bay Golf Course to Sea Bird Point on Discovery Island then out in Haro on the inside of Beaumont and D'Arcy Island to land at Island View Beach!

could be some gnarly swell in the middle of Haro or even just in the mouth of Baynes!! if that's what you're looking for!
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

Red Baron - I appreciate your stoke, but count me out. Only got maybe 20 years left to live and I want all of them.

Winter SE on the West Coast is very gusty wind and sideshore to sideoff at most of beaches. SE at South Chesterman is onshore, but very gusty coming off the hills to the south of Cox Bay. Also big swells with big currents and if you get washed in you are fortunate. The alternative (washout out to sea) requires being rescued by Coast Guard - as has happened.

Plenty of wind and waves to chase on south/east Vancouver Island.
redbaron
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by redbaron »

Thanks Rocdoc,
I know dangers are much higher out on the westcoast, and my family and the community would not appreciate me risking what I got for fun. Most big SE days would be considered too extreme so Im out too. But in a small swell and the right wind there could be the possible epicness. Similar to Konas on Maui and south winds in Oregon it probably should be left for the pros. As a fan its always fun to know what is possible and what people have done.

Sounds like quite the adventure Abetenzo. I just looked over some nautical charts and yep! there should be some swell on the way. Plumper Passage can get up to 5kn current so depending on ebb or flood, there could be some gorge like swells. And Haro forsure. Im not sure where to find current charts for that area.
eastside

Post by eastside »

The wind coming into S. Chestermans was solid the other day but very on shore. The waves picked up with the wind too and were not as messy as Long Beach. There is usually a lot of surfers at the south end of the beach which is a problem.

I did have a good SUP sail at the north end of N . Chestermans one day and it's side off coming across the beach and not much chop. The other day the wind had too much east in it for there and it was flat at the south end of N. Chestermans, which was getting lots of wind. I have SUP sailed the south end of N. Chestermans on a se and that was sketchy as it was dead offshore so you run parallel to the waves. With more wind it would be more doable as you can more easily avoid waves, but then the wind is offshore which is a problem if you break down. Probably not much worse than breaking down at CB though.
Check out Wick Beach as it would be more side shore with the wind coming over the point. Lots of current there. I have SUP sailed there as well as Long Beach on SE. Wind direction was ok the time I did it at LB, side on.

I think this time of year is good for exploring as the weather is still warm and the southeasts are often stronger on the west coast than here, like yesterday. When it is snowing in the passes and raining cats and dogs my motivation to head west is severely reduced.
Last edited by eastside on Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
uddereef
Website Donor
Website Donor

Vancouver island storm chase

Post by uddereef »

For epic ness on the eastside I would think off Campbell river (cape mudge) on big southeasters with a flooding tide,it won't get any better with those swells and standing waves. Oh yeah, countless boaters have drowned out there. Jesse,that is only a half hour north of where you are at. Just saying.
Joostio
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Joostio »

I work in Campbell River and just south of Erickson road by the Shell station there is a spot that reminds me of CB. But farther out depending on the tide and current there are Gorge like swells. There is another spot a bit farther south of CR that looks good too but by the Shell station looks really good. Also there is parking and place to rig there.
ToesideT

Post by ToesideT »

50 40 19 x 126 53 40. Epic
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

The holy grail is N chesty on a moderate SE with some decent west swell. The setup is just like a NW at southy with south swell but your chances for swell are much higher. Only ever seen that happen once, freezing cold and no gear. Personally I'm not concerned with offshore wind on a beach break, you'll have no problem making it back, just might have to ditch your rig worst case, but then no one is suggesting going out in 40 knots. Wick is too messed up with current to likely be good for windsurfing, once you get that far down it turns to tippy mush.

After seeing Fran's photos this weekend my big question is Sombrio on a SE!
Don't forget to bring a towel!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

SChesterman my first time sailing there, the pylons were a huge drag but waves were awesome, wind gusty but who cares...on a moderate tide N chesterman bar is guarding the exit so pretty darn safe I am thinking. It was close to 26 kn but light in the break 50% which was a bit frustrating, with higher winds should be awesome.
Sailed off Salmon point marina been meaning to do that again for years, huge swells but no point break but pub and beachside hot tub counts for something

Keep dreaming about lawn point west of port Alice too if anyone's into a road trip got an empty water view of inlet condo there, bring yer own couch :) and 4x4

Ps: Fran or his/her photos must not really exist cuz they aren't posted
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

Well Jesse if you wanted to see what Tofino looks like on a moderate SE you should go out there for the next two days.

I'd go but unless Red Bull will pay my current salary you are on your own brah!
Give'R
redbaron
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by redbaron »

I wish I could be out in Tofino now to see the set up. Could get interesting with the swell on Wednesday.
For epic ness on the eastside I would think off Campbell river (cape mudge) on big southeasters with a flooding tide,it won't get any better with those swells and standing waves. Oh yeah, countless boaters have drowned out there. Jesse,that is only a half hour north of where you are at. Just saying.
This might be the ultimate extreme spot. I looked at the current charts for Seymor Narrows and flood tides get up to 11kn @ 165'. I would see what that looks like on a 30-40kn SE :twisted:
Sailed off Salmon point marina been meaning to do that again for years, huge swells but no point break but pub and beachside hot tub counts for something
I always figured Salmon point would be good on a NW too. I seen it in the winter on a Bute outflow and seem pretty steady and sunny! Hot tub + pub definitely counts for something.

Sombrio would be a bit of a hike, but might be worth it.
jim mckenzie

Post by jim mckenzie »

although when the pros storm chase they do bring along a few jetskis and a helicopter or two. Seems like a lot of trouble if it wasn't necessary.
uddereef
Website Donor
Website Donor

Storm chase Vancouver island

Post by uddereef »

Jesse, Seymour narrows is probably about 5-10 miles north of Cape Mudge, just south of Cape Mudge would be where you want to go, with the big se fetch and a good flooding tide, it would be the ultimate combo, fisherman are always talking about this Cape. Joositio is talking a good launch, just not sure how far out you have to go, probably no different distancewise than Columbia beach.
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

How about a little farther away, Haida Gwaii looks like the place to be. Anyone ever sail up there?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 10.38.25 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 10.38.25 AM.png (220.68 KiB) Viewed 8077 times