Vancouver Island Storm Chase

Add photos, maps and directions to sailing spots on or off the Island.
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

I've always wished I had gear with me whenever I've worked on Haida Gwaii. I believe its the windiest coastal place in terms of average wind speeds on the east or west coasts - averages year-round at 9 m/sec for offshore Rose Spit. There's been a few discussions here, e.g., http://www.bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/viewto ... ight=haida
downwind dave

Post by downwind dave »

great spot if you like sailing all alone. ive been stuck in sandspit a few times by the wind.

thought i'd add this photo to the thread, its of Cox bay in December 06, big SE about 60 kts. the same storm that felled all the trees west of Port Alberni and closed the road for a day. You can basically see the whole bay closes right out.
redbaron
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by redbaron »

Gnarly photos. :P
Redbull guys would be all over that.
Blackie

Post by Blackie »

There's a couple of blog posts about the wind and riding in Haida here:
http://blakesbig-badblog.blogspot.ca/20 ... -east.html
and here:
http://blakesbig-badblog.blogspot.ca/20 ... eason.html

It looks amazing. Hope to go there when I unretire...
winddude

Post by winddude »

Ec's forecast is looking pretty good for hadia gwaii for the next few. One day ill have to ride there!

Hopefully some wind comes with the swells forecasted this coming turkey weekend.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
redbaron
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by redbaron »

winddude wrote:Hopefully some wind comes with the swells forecasted this coming turkey weekend.
Careful about jinxing the wind :!:

Ya Haida Gwai would be one of the final frontiers for windsurfing/kiting. Too bad it so pricy to get to.
redbaron
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by redbaron »

Has anyone seen the set up for wind at Raft Cove or San Joseph Bay or other North Island spots?
uddereef
Website Donor
Website Donor

Vancouver island storm chase

Post by uddereef »

Jesse, First Nations have a surf camp on Nootka island, kind of like long beach with no people, more wind up north island for sure. Windboard magazine ran an article on it , with a few pros going there a few years back.getting there is the challenge.
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

Was just at San Joseph bay last year. There was a private campground close to the parking lot for the trail to San Joseph Bay. There is a boat launch at this campground so you could take your gear by boat wherever you want from there. No wind in the bay when we were there so not sure what wind direction works. Never made it to Raft Cove but that might be a better bet.
Why aren't YOU out there?
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Tatchu adventures on Nootka is like solo sports in San Carlos... Better show up with $$$. Jesse has actually been and surfed off Nootka though.

Raft is a hell of a walk with gear. Boat required. I'm thinking vargus or Nootka are the best accessible bets, or a boat to brooks if you're going all out. Either way, a lot of $$$ for an uncertain outcome, IMHO probably just better spent heading to Pistol or Waddell or even PSC.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
fisher

raft cove

Post by fisher »

last year we canoed into Raft with a mountain of gear . It was supposed to blow NW but we never saw it on the beach . Did see wolves on the paddle out though .
redbaron
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by redbaron »

One of these days I will have to ask Tatchu on Nootka what the wind is like, but after chatting with guys who surf, it sounds like it has the same sort of fog that Long Beach gets on NW winds. So hard to justify just bringing wind gear. Surfing there is epic though! I would say strong SE and storm conditions would be stupid carnage and not worth it.

San Joseph bay interests me on the SE. It is way more protected from the open sea and when I was there 8 years ago on a windless weekend it looked like nice clean waist high longboard rollers coming in. I would imagine waves would be finicky. And camping out would be freaken wet during a SE, but if it sets up right, it could be fun. :P Boating in from the camp would be the best option. Saves the 2 hour hike with gear plus on calm days you can explore other surf breaks north.

On land wildlife out in these spots is definitely guaranteed. It just adds to the extremity of the sport and the search on the coast. When I was on Nootka I was 100 ft away from a mother black bear and 2 cubs once or twice a day walking to the beach and on the next beach north, I saw the biggest cougar prints EVER! So sticking to the Oregon and Cali coast isn't such a bad Idea. Way more wind and shark aren't that scary right?

Could be a storm coming in next thurs/fri....
dunkinguy

N. Island spots

Post by dunkinguy »

I've hiked to both Raft and San Jo several times. Neither are great for windboarding. San Jo is magic but would be too gusty on SE I would think. Raft would be epic hike with kit. I know it has been sailed on NW. I think it may be kind of off shore. I really don't think you can beat LB and S. Chestermans for NW. I've sailed LB couple times on big SE and it is pretty messy but doable. Did have one epic 5.7 day on N. Chestermans on what I think was a SW. Not sure? It was seriously side off fun though.
Love The Hate!
redbaron
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by redbaron »

West coast is calling for a storm! Looks a little too gnarly for me and wet. If any one is out there be sure to take photos.

Friday morning might be epic for cape mudge. Big tide change. Gale SE. Depends how wet and miserable it is, I might see what it looks like, but chances are I will be sticking with the spit or airforce beach.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Cape Verde Vickey sailed north chestermans today in 40+ knots and mast high waves.... Alone, with no booties or hood. Kind of puts us all to shame doesn't it? She said she sailed nearly 4 hours.
Don't forget to bring a towel!