Haida Gwaii to Tofino sailing spots?

Add photos, maps and directions to sailing spots on or off the Island.
Brass Munkey

Haida Gwaii to Tofino sailing spots?

Post by Brass Munkey »

Can anyone help with suggestions for windsurfing or surfing spots from Masset all the way to Tofino? I'm cruising my sailboat down from Queen Charlotte City through Gwaii Hanaas and trying to figure out places to stop and wave-sail both in Gwaii Hanaas and on the west coast of the island from San Joseph Bay to Tofino.

A few of us were talking and heard rumours about windsurfers up on north beach by rose spit near masset. Can anyone help with advice or links?
winddude

Post by winddude »

you'll find waves, but might be hard pressed to find consistent winds.

I read an article years ago, on some people doing a trip up the coast by zodiac from tofino to I think a surf camp somewhere on Nootka. No idea where the article was or the season. I think the camp they went to was Tatchu Surf Adventures.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
uddereef
Website Donor
Website Donor

Haida gwai to tofino.

Post by uddereef »

Burnett bay just south of cape caution is a nice beach with anchoring near Fox island or Miles inlet.
uddereef
Website Donor
Website Donor

Haida gwai to tofino.

Post by uddereef »

Jacobs beach at the south part of brooks penisula and anchoring at columbia cove would be nice too if south swell.
ozy

Post by ozy »

windsport did an article on nootka island . an old friend brad drummond was on it . i could get you in touch with him if you want
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Tasu Sound has great thermals, but flat water. Jacobsen Pt South Brooks/Columbia Cove
Brass Munkey

Post by Brass Munkey »

ozy wrote:windsport did an article on nootka island . an old friend brad drummond was on it . i could get you in touch with him if you want
Perfect! A couple of us were talking and someone brought that up... this is exactly what we're looking for... yes please
Brass Munkey

Re: Haida gwai to tofino.

Post by Brass Munkey »

uddereef wrote:Jacobs beach at the south part of brooks penisula and anchoring at columbia cove would be nice too if south swell.
Is there a wrap-around westerly, and a reasonable place to anchor? we're looking for wavesailing, but will take anything. Thanks for the advice, and we'll check it out on google maps.

Jacobsen point looks tucked way around some hills? Is that a thermal wind or more of a high-pressure set up?
Brass Munkey

Post by Brass Munkey »

We're looking for spots that will fire on a west swell. It seems like a lot of Vancovuer Island (Nuchatlahts, Nootka Island, Hesquiaht) needs a south swell
uddereef
Website Donor
Website Donor

Haida gwai to tofino.

Post by uddereef »

The end of brooks blows daily on nw high pressure systems.anchoring is the problem out there.unless you get dropped off.raft cove might be another option also.
Brass Munkey

Kunghit, Moresby

Post by Brass Munkey »

Can Any cruisers out there tell us about spots they've enjoyed which would give consistent winds around Moresby or Kunghit Island, southern Haida Gwaii?
redbaron
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by redbaron »

winddude wrote:I read an article years ago, on some people doing a trip up the coast by zodiac from tofino to I think a surf camp somewhere on Nootka. No idea where the article was or the season. I think the camp they went to was Tatchu Surf Adventures.
In the latest issue of Windsurfing Now magazine has a regional write up involving "Exploring British Columbia" Pretty epic remote spots :wink:
Attachments
20171204_181443.jpg
20171204_181443.jpg (691.43 KiB) Viewed 7350 times