Old growth logging near Nitinaht

A place to discuss anything non-weather and non-wind/kitesurf related. Generally unmoderated, but rules are enforced on occasion => you can get suspended or kicked out and messages can get deleted.
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Old growth logging near Nitinaht

Post by AJSpencer »

“ fairycreekblockade Rampant logging continues near Nitinaht Lake. The RCMP has been in the area and we are looking to increase our numbers across all blockades especially in the Caycuse. Read our handbook, come self-sufficient. Stay for as long as you can. #oldgrowthlogging”

thankful for these folks blockading. Less than 3% of tall old growth forest left in BC. Enough is enough. Sustainable 2nd, 3rd growth only. Ridiculous to cut down these ancient forests now.
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

Totally agree, no reason to be cutting old growth or exporting logs with the wood market this hot.
ECarey

Post by ECarey »

Thanks for posting this, AJSpencer. This issue definitely needs more attention to protect what is still standing
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

That response by the union rep speaking on behalf of forest workers was so incredibly lame… “They are just going to fall down and rot if we don’t harvest them…” What a moron :roll:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

I think it was a The Nature of Things episode I saw where some researcher from UVic was sampling some of the moss growing 100'+ on the limbs of the old growth branches, and in a clump of moss there was something like 200+ different species of insects and mites. It's so diverse. And I mean, cmon, look at the state of the world right now.
I was so naive/ignorant even just a few years ago I had assumed logging of old growth had ended decades ago. I thought those famous old growth trees near Port Renfew were protected. So a while back when it popped up in the news I was shocked, and mad. And I haven't even been out toward Nitinaht before. But the thought of those forests being logged and possibly my kids or grandkids not even being able to see them is really disturbing. Those forests are what the BC Coast is all about, to me, and the diversity that comes with them.
Just appalling its still going on.
Those protesting, such as the Rainforest Flying Squad, has many of the original members who blockaded and protested in the 1990's which led to the Carmanah Walbran Provincial Park SE of Nitinaht. And I think there's even more likelihood the effort to get in the way and protect these old growths now will lead to another protected Provincial Park.
I'm not anti-logging at all. To me it isn't about that. But I'm passionately 100% for keeping the remaining old growth in BC, and Canada for that matter, for the diversity, marvel, and beauty of those giants, and wish we had more of it still to protect/preserve.
The BC political side is a can of worms not worth bringing up, I think. I think most of us are disappointed (or worse) currently for voting for someone who said they would protect them, and now years later we're at this point. So I won't even bring up the name and start bashing because there's just no point. The last resort is this, blockading.
The court injunction on April 1 means now the blockaders can be arrested. RCMP have been up to visit a handful of times this month and it's likely a matter of time before they start cuffing people.
I am part owner of 2 businesses, I have a family/kids, and I really want to be able to travel internationally when my kids are a bit older for life experience/education for them, but a criminal record for being arrested for blockading there could put that in jeopardy. So in the meantime, I'll help spread the word and donate a bit here and there. But if the blockade reaches a point where the number of blockaders is diminishing then I won't have a choice but to go up there too. What a shame its coming to this.
For those who sit idly by because you think it is inevitable, I say the Carmanah Walbran Park is proof it isn't inevitable. So start spreading the word and helping out how you can. If we have enough people there physically in the way, a Park or protected area will ensue.
Let's not give up because we think the future is predetermined by human nature. Let's fight for what we have (left), especially here on Vancouver Island.
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

https://gofund.me/2b337bc5
For donating to the blockade.
winddude

Post by winddude »

Fuck, thats ridiculous and shouldn't be happening! But apparently everyone needs there $900000 house with zero yard, crammed in next to their neighbours that they have to take 40 year mortgages and work 12 hours day to afford.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

Logging farmed wood is fine and can be sustainable, those forest blocks are basically monocultures anyway.
The old growth is different though and keeping those trees there to fall is exactly what's needed.

What's stupid is we cut the hell out of our forests when softwood almost couldn't be given away, so now that it's a gold mine we don't have those trees to cut. I grew up in a logging town but sometimes people need to change to meet the new environment. Like the coal miners trying to keep digging even though it's the worst possible material to generate power.
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

Arrests began yesterday. Including a 68yo grandma. But it sounds like even with 30+ RCMP, they couldn’t make it past the Caycuse Bridge. They let Pacheedat elder Bill Jones through, but apparently not the press and there’s some conflict there including the arrest of a member of the media.

Hopefully there’s enough people so we can just, I don’t know, keep an old growth forest. Log somewhere else.
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

Not looking good for the Caycuse.
I didn't read all of this as I didn't have time, but I think this guy knows his stuff and gives a good realistic, scientific view:
https://thenarwhal.ca/bc-old-growth-for ... ry-merkel/
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Excellent article! It doesn’t make it any less sad just underscores our inability to act on climate change and shut foreign companies down that are raping our forests for the asian market of fine woods..... it’s the last rhino! We got a little bit of labour out of it and a little bit of economy and then it all the good stuff is shipped away and the roots of our environment have been amputated more and more.
Our place is going to burn and us with it. Our kids are going to look at this generation as the biggest failures in the history of mankind. And everyone of us, however little, is contributing. We are all hypocrites. But we can do something here, I’m torn at standing at the blockade and donating money but I see the overwhelming opposition to change. I am glad some of us have the balls to do some thing. It gives me a little glimmer of hope.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Old growth logging near Nitinaht

Post by AJSpencer »