Radiation leaks from Japan

A place to discuss anything non-weather and non-wind/kitesurf related. Generally unmoderated, but rules are enforced on occasion => you can get suspended or kicked out and messages can get deleted.
JL

Radiation leaks from Japan

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
voodmon
Website Donor
Website Donor

fukd us sheema

Post by voodmon »

As you know JL I have been sharing links about this on my facebook pg for sometime, I stopped eating seafood months ago. I would have thought Kuz doing what he does would have more info on this, I don't know if you caught my message board about anyone have a meter that clicks? As you probably know all the acceptable levels have been raised 10 fold and mum is the words from those in control, I even wonder about our water supply here in Victoria considering it is derived from rainfall. Basically not much we can do except stand up and demand an end to nuclear power en masse and that trend has already started. It only takes one bad accident at one plant, now 2 and this one is 100 times worse than Chernobyl.
Surfing outside of Platos cave, searching for Blue Skies.
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: fukd us sheema

Post by KUS »

voodmon wrote:I would have thought Kuz doing what he does would have more info on this
well, stopped listening to news or reading the paper or internet news years ago, too depressing, hence also totally uninformed. However, I have also not read your facebook.....mostly because I don't do facebook....for same reasons :lol:
I live on sushi, this is really gonna cramp my style...just gonna get skinnier :roll: sticking to salmon for now
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
voodmon
Website Donor
Website Donor

fishy stuff.

Post by voodmon »

I used to feel the same way about facebook esp since it is monitored just like everything else. But my consensus it that " they" cannot kick down everyone's door and shut all of the people up. How ever this new TPP agreement is about doing just that, censorship across the board, shutting anyone down that speaks up or out. The Fukushima problem is huge for mankind in general. Nuclear power is just an extremely dangerous way to boil water as we are now very much aware :shock:
ambientrax

Post by ambientrax »

maybe we will develop gills.
GWIND

Freaky

Post by GWIND »

Windsurfish has gills. ;)
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
voodmon
Website Donor
Website Donor

gills?

Post by voodmon »

Swimming in it will just make you sicker faster. This is real Gwind, not something to be laughed away, a reality check of sorts, I am thinking about Uruguay, it is safe there for now. not sure how windy though. :P
Atomic-Chomik
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Atomic-Chomik »

The Tuna tested has less radioactivity in it than a standard banana. The problem is the biomagnification over time as most these isotopes have a long half-life. The scientists in California were surprised to find any due to the tunas high metabolic rate, which does indicate higher levels than expected/reported. So the report says anyways.
voodmon
Website Donor
Website Donor

tuna

Post by voodmon »

From what I read every blue fin tested was toxic with the cesium 137 from fukushima, point is the japan current that is also bringing the debris our way also brings the water our way not just the fish, so it is affecting everything within that biosphere, kelp. everything.
ambientrax

Post by ambientrax »

Either way... I don't think any of us are going to stop riding. Maybe some of you will just start wearing dry suits, but apparently they have their risks 2... I will pack a tuna fish sandwich tomorrow before hitting the water...
Atomic-Chomik
Website Donor
Website Donor

Radiation in Tuna

Post by Atomic-Chomik »

Im certainly not saying this whole Fukashima thing isn't a disaster of potentially unbelievably horrible consequences, and being someone who abides by the Cautionary Principle when it comes to Environmental Issues, it is good to put in perspective what is really being said. Here is what Scientific America had to say. Myself, I will eat less Tuna,mostly due to biomagnification of Mercury though (and some to do with Cesium 137 lol.)
Not arguing, just discussion.

Before freaking out, though, consider just how much radiation was detected in the tuna. As more than one writer has observed, you would get a dose of radiation that's 20-fold greater from eating a banana, which has a naturally occurring potassium isotope. You don't hear much about how we all need to start monitoring exposure to a daily banana equivalent dose of radiation. Nor is anyone in a panic about potatoes, kidney beans, sunflower seeds or a host of other foods that have naturally occurring radioactive elements. And don't even mention Brazil nuts, which have five times the radioactivity of bananas.
Even if the tuna were exposed to high cesium levels off Japan, most of the radioactivity will have dissipated by the time they reach North American coastal waters, it says.

The reality is we live is a world surrounded by much greater sources of radiation than Pacific tuna. If lowering the cumulative exposure to radiation is the goal, there's probably more to be gained by not walking around with a mobile phone glued to your ear than skipping a meal of tuna.
ambientrax

Post by ambientrax »

AMEN! Martyman
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

I read the David Suzuki article claiming that Fukushima was an impending disaster for western North America and I think he's out of the ballpark on this one.

We live with background radiation and always have. A big part of my professional life is dealing with radiocarbon dating, which is based on a radioactive isotope that all living things absorb from the environment, and always have for the last 40,000 years (as far back as the radioactive half-life lets us measure). Huge amounts of c-14 might well kill you through radiation poisoning; but that would also be more than the entire earth atmosphere/sun interaction produces world-wide in a year concentrated into a suitcase sized container. The tiny traces of most radiation just aren't going to have much affect. We have longer life expectancy now than in the history of the world; yeah, don't get unnecessary CAT scans or whatever, but don't sweat the really-little stuff!

Meanwhile, four high-profile environmentalists and early whistle-blowers on climate change have been lobbying governments for MORE nuclear plants, as they are way better for global warming, despite the radiation risks http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireSt ... g-20767882
SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy

can't believe it

Post by SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy »

I ate two f'ing bananas today.

I can tell you I also ate a spoonful of tuna today and now I'm worried.

Not 1/10 000th as much as I'm worried about a west coast evac if things really hit the fan over there ... dropping fuel rods. Get a grip!

Surely we can come up with a face mask of some sort that would prevent radiation intake in the event of a large jump gone wrong or simple spray in the face.

I say screw it. I'm going to Maui Dec 7 for 25 days. Live large. Save after fukishima is over. Keep cash on hand in small denominations---preferrably five dollar bills. There is not enough cash in circulation and people will not be able to make change. Live like there will be no retirement.

Freedom 35 baby. I have four north rebels, two makos, one soul (no sorry two) and I'm planning on using all of them til the day I die. Til the bitter end when I can stand no more, whether that is in five weeks, five months, five years or 50.

Here's to the wind, the wild...the ocean...long live life on the coast.
Kevin

If your happiness depends on money, you will never be happy. Be content with what you have take joy in the way things are. When you realize you have all you need, the World belongs to you.