Wingfoiling Progression

General discussions about wingfoiling: equipment, tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, pump safety.
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

juandesooka wrote: I have left mine for a month or more. Only danger to bladder I can see might be if over-inflated, but that would more likely be a problem while riding.
Thanks, I let out a bit of air.
slake
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by slake »

Update on my progress since getting gear: I've had no luck organizing a boat tow with my 110 L Fanatic + Armstrong HS1850 (have zero foil experience prior to this). I stubbornly go out anytime there is wind on a lake. Generally drive to various upwind drop off points and have an hour session before arriving at a downwind spot to take out. Have seen winds between 5-35 kts on the 5 m Echo, and sometimes during the same session :shock:. I ride a snowboard normal and getting up "goofy" (ie. starboard tack / wing on the port side) is more of a challenge, as is balance/foiling in that direction. My first session on the lake I could barely stay on my knees, then progressed to being on my knees, then to standing up, then pumping wing/board, and eventually on the foil here/there for 5-10 seconds. It's not pretty but going in the right direction (still a lot of flailing after 10x out). Still think foil experience behind a boat would be useful. Balance is not easy without a steady breeze. Until I'm foiling consistently in a lake I don't see much reason to jumping into waves.

On the wing side of things I did stick a sUP WINDer on an old iSUP (Slingshot recommends against this). Prepped the iSUP with 220 grit sand paper, cleaned with acetone, and then 3 coats of Clifton's urethane adhesive. Did not do a perfect fin box install as there are bubbles at either end, but it is lined up, and it's been out for 3 sessions and seems quite solid. It appeases the other half who won't go on the foil board but wants some fun on the water. Plus makes her more happy for the current upwind drives.

There were a couple of puffs today so I went out, wiped out at speed, the board turned upside down, and the canopy touched the foil (see photo), canopy lost. Result was a 2 inch long hole. I stopped at that point rather than keeping on, and possibly opening up that hole. Question: what is the best way to deal with a hole of that size? Saw upthread winddoctor talking about asking Paul Betts for a "rewards punch card" for wing repairs. :lol: Can a hole this size just be taped by myself or is a pro-repair is better? If DIY is fine then tuck tape? Spinnaker tape? What exactly is done in a repair anyhow?

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_9761.jpg
IMG_9761.jpg (210.97 KiB) Viewed 2428 times
Last edited by slake on Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

When I put a hole like that in mine, I tried tucktape as I would on a windsurf sail but realized its different, kite material, and it didn’t stick very well. But I carefully taped from both sides anyways and it actually did stay on after 2 sessions since, one in big wind, so I would say a tape for that kind of tear is ok, as long as you don’t mind the look. I don’t. Also I used blue tucktape which is supposed to be even stickier.
Its pretty thin material and would be easy to sew as well. I’ll try to sew a patch on mine if the tucktape fails and let you know how it goes.
monicavi

Post by monicavi »

Sail cloth repair aka ripstop tape extending a couple inches past the tear on both sides and sewn with a 3 step zig zag and uv nylon thread all around. I would do that for old gear but new stuff better to contact comox kite repair. The nylon ripstop both sides and from both directions should get you through a few sessions if you don't want to repair right away.
slake
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by slake »

I noticed in the little baggy that comes with the wing is a small square of repair tape. I'll cut a couple of oval patches out of that and stick one on each side. Should cover it by about an inch on each side.
smartang

Post by smartang »

Slake. Contact Ole at Zensports.ca if you're around the Sproat lake area for a tow. He's probably the most experienced action sports instructor on the island with a big jet ski and jaws style rescue sled. Jet ski is far more efficient than a boat for foil tow since there's no prop or big boat to turn around and much less turbulent water for getting up. The ski is big enough for three people if your partner wants to give it a go as well.

For the goofy start, it's just a matter of your stabilizer muscles adapting to it. It will click all at once, but medium wind for a constant wing pull and smoother water will help a lot. My water start on in switch stance is still completely different from regular stance. More of a standing straight light double leg hop. Almost just enough to go up onto my tippy toes. Rather than an aggressive crouching pump that gets me up a couple knots earlier in regular stance. There should be almost no need for a downwinder anymore, you should be able to keep yourself upwind kneefoiling and or standing taxiing waiting for a puff.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Smartang, do you know if they do efoil rentals? I see zen sports port alberni is a dealer and you can demo test them. That looks so much fun for calm water! I expect its like test driving a Lamborghini, you probably need a note from your banker saying you have the financial resources to actually buy one :roll: But I'd be willing to spend a fair bit to rent one for an hour or two!
smartang

Post by smartang »

They do efoil lessons. Jet ski with sled chase boat and efoil on the water right in front of sproat lake provincial park. Which is often glass in the earlier part of the day. I'm not 100% sure of the cost, but it's less than you'd think. And worth splitting with a buddy as it's more of a workout than I thought it would be. Especially on the smaller board and foils. Everyone should try it at least once. Unlike most other lessons, you are guaranteed fun for all ages. And 25mph with nothing to hold on to over dead glass water is a trip.
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

Time for a smaller board and shorter fuselage, having a hard time turning the hypernut it in stronger winds. Not sure if I should go down to an 80L or get something around 95L?
jim mckenzie

Slake

Post by jim mckenzie »

I have an aluminum 12' boat with a 3.5 hp motor that has been a god send to my foiling. I was windfoiling 2 summers ago and struggled, mostly chasing wind. Last summer I got behind the boat and it just made where to stand and the feel of things so easy after only a couple of sessions. Now windfoil is so much better. A wing is on it's way and I know it will be much easier for me thanks to my behind the boat experience. You only need about 10 mph to get up if your foil isn't too small. Maybe a 6 hp if you're bigger than me, which you probably are. Anyway, it's worth it and lots of fun too. Even just one two hour session could put you months ahead.
JDR

Post by JDR »

Getting back to my wing and new Gong Hipe and foil after a 3-month hiatus. I tried getting out a few times over the winter, but as someone who is new to winging and foiling, quickly realized I needed calmer conditions to sort out the basics. Between the shore pound, strong winds and chop and the fact that I switched from a SUP to a 5'3" board and foil, I found it almost impossible to even stand, so I can definitely relate to (some of) the posts in this thread. As a beginner, all of the great comments here have been really helpful. I was able to get out this past weekend at Willows with ~8-12 kts and calm conditions and I could finally get standing and traveling upwind, at least in one direction. Still haven't had enough speed to get up on foil, and I expect it will be an instant yard sale when I do, but looking forward to figuring it out this spring and summer. Agree that a tow behind a boat would be a great way to work on it separately so it is one less thing to figure out with the wing!
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

A couple years back I saw wingfoiling and its what got me going out there. As soon as I did get out there I felt that learning to wing and learning the board/foil would be too much at once so I go into windsurfing to start then windfoiling. I use a 145L Dialer still, I'm ~195lbs, and it was a few sessions to get steady on that board for me, but now it is very easy. Anyways, i felt learning to foil with the windsurf rig was probably easier than with the wing. So after about a year of windfoiling, I gave the wing a go again and was up foiling the first time, and going slightly upwind.
Now I feel that learning to foiling gybe will be easier on the wing, and once I get it down, I'll be able to bring that back over to windfoiling and progress quicker there as well.
So will see how that goes. But what I wanted to say is that I still use the 145 Dialer windfoil board for winging, and it's working fine, easy balance, rocker nose bounce so often able to save a foil-out and keep going instead of falling in, and I'm able to turn about as fast as I'll need to for probably quite a while, or indefinitely. So I'd say, for people getting into it for the first time, a higher volume board doesn't necessarily mean you won't be able to get foiling, and will be significantly easier for starting out.
But, all of the above is ultimately for flat water, or choppier areas but not wave-riding, so maybe once I get into waves I'll realize I need a smaller board, foil, etc. But it is a ton of fun just ripping around in flat water, especially once I can gybe, and I can't see myself getting bored of that for a long time, so I can't see going with bigger "gear" like this to start as a waste of money or a regret.

Would be good to hear from those who have gone from bigger boards to smaller boards what the big advantage is vs a bigger board. Mainly so you can progress into jumping? Or is it just way more fun? Get foiling in lighter winds?
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Bigger board will have you progressing SO much faster. I'm guilty of wanting to go too small too fast before each step is dialled. Smaller will be better for jumping and liveliness but a big board offers more advantages than disadvantages for the first 6 months of learning, especially in our cold air/water. I like the challenge of seeing where my small board size limit will be. 38L is still my goal for high wind/warmer weather.
Poultry in motion
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

In steady wind and warmer water you will have no problem WD. I assumed basically impossible, but found it not too bad when powered. If you already foil, surf, SUP, windsurf then it is not too much of a step.
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

Super fun day today, had my longest rides yet!
:D
Attachments
Centennialwingsurf4.jpg
Centennialwingsurf4.jpg (87.03 KiB) Viewed 2016 times