Wingfoil to share

General discussions about wingfoiling: equipment, tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, pump safety.
Slingshot wingfoil

Wingfoil to share

Post by Slingshot wingfoil »

I have a 2019 Slingshot wing foil to share. I'm learning and live in Duncan. Give me a shout at 778 674 0335
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

nice, welcome to the club. I have a Gong 7m, yet to be used after selling my 5m and upgrading.

Unusually Large Robin has a 4m Duotone I believe. And Chris G in Vancouver has one as well. That's about it for the wing crowd so far.

will keep you posted if I ever get up to CB or IV for some wind. This time of year JDF / Gordons are not really dependable options. I figure it'll be more a spring thing at gordons for me.
elt

Post by elt »

juandesooka wrote:nice, welcome to the club. I have a Gong 7m, yet to be used after selling my 5m and upgrading.

Unusually Large Robin has a 4m Duotone I believe. And Chris G in Vancouver has one as well. That's about it for the wing crowd so far.

will keep you posted if I ever get up to CB or IV for some wind. This time of year JDF / Gordons are not really dependable options. I figure it'll be more a spring thing at gordons for me.

Please let us know your thoughts on the 7m, especially in comparison to your smaller wingfoil. Thanks!
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

elt wrote:
juandesooka wrote:nice, welcome to the club. I have a Gong 7m, yet to be used after selling my 5m and upgrading.

Please let us know your thoughts on the 7m, especially in comparison to your smaller wingfoil. Thanks!
Will do. Have had it 2 weeks, not even out of the bag yet <sigh>

My hope is it will unlock the 10-15kt wind range for foiling fun. Though I hear Gong is rated towards the bottom in low-end power -- other brands are reported to have more powerful wings relative to size. Gong is releasing a "pro" version this month that is supposed to be more powerful, I assume will copy these other designs.
elt

Post by elt »

juandesooka wrote:
elt wrote:

Will do. Have had it 2 weeks, not even out of the bag yet <sigh>

My hope is it will unlock the 10-15kt wind range for foiling fun. Though I hear Gong is rated towards the bottom in low-end power -- other brands are reported to have more powerful wings relative to size. Gong is releasing a "pro" version this month that is supposed to be more powerful, I assume will copy these other designs.
That 10-15kts is the magic range as far as I'm concerned. I'm curious to know how it goes.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

wing review

Post by juandesooka »

Helpful and informative review:
https://reefwarriors.wordpress.com/2019 ... miqXMjiZ2Q

From a windsurf foiler, so gives both perspectives.

This part is kinda bad news for my hopes n dreams, as downwind swell riding is what I am hoping for. His explanation of the logistical problem make sense, when riding downwind, there's nothing to hold up the wing. Doh.

"One of the appealing things of Wingy to me of course was riding swell (oh and I rode lots of swell with it!).&#128521; One negative thing I found was the lack of stability in the whole process. It’s hard enough to foil surf alone and then you add a flapping wing throwing you off balance all the time, that sure doesn’t make it easy.&#128530; When catching swell heading up-wind or side-shore it’s cool to just let the Wingy go neutral and ride the swell up wind. That’s fun stuff! Now if you want to ride a swell downwind, that has the same problem as kite surf foiling. You are now going with the wind matching it’s speed, which means the wing loses it’s lift and falls out of the air. So you literally have to hold the wingy up over your head and try to foil surf at the same time.&#128547; Not any fun and a very frustrating experience. The only time I could downwind foil surf on the wing was in 25-35kts+ where you had lots of wind keeping that wing in the air. So my conclusion of Wing foiling in the surf is- if you want to leisurely ride some swell upwind it works great, otherwise you need lots of wind to ride downwind. Side off conditions, for the lucky few in this world, are the best for the Wingy. Side off conditions work much better to be able ride a wave any way you want and they are best for keeping the wing flying.&#128077;"
elt

Re: wing review

Post by elt »

juandesooka wrote:Helpful and informative review:
https://reefwarriors.wordpress.com/2019 ... miqXMjiZ2Q

From a windsurf foiler, so gives both perspectives.

This part is kinda bad news for my hopes n dreams, as downwind swell riding is what I am hoping for. His explanation of the logistical problem make sense, when riding downwind, there's nothing to hold up the wing. Doh.

"One of the appealing things of Wingy to me of course was riding swell (oh and I rode lots of swell with it!).&#128521; One negative thing I found was the lack of stability in the whole process. It’s hard enough to foil surf alone and then you add a flapping wing throwing you off balance all the time, that sure doesn’t make it easy.&#128530; When catching swell heading up-wind or side-shore it’s cool to just let the Wingy go neutral and ride the swell up wind. That’s fun stuff! Now if you want to ride a swell downwind, that has the same problem as kite surf foiling. You are now going with the wind matching it’s speed, which means the wing loses it’s lift and falls out of the air. So you literally have to hold the wingy up over your head and try to foil surf at the same time.&#128547; Not any fun and a very frustrating experience. The only time I could downwind foil surf on the wing was in 25-35kts+ where you had lots of wind keeping that wing in the air. So my conclusion of Wing foiling in the surf is- if you want to leisurely ride some swell upwind it works great, otherwise you need lots of wind to ride downwind. Side off conditions, for the lucky few in this world, are the best for the Wingy. Side off conditions work much better to be able ride a wave any way you want and they are best for keeping the wing flying.&#128077;"
It's an interesting review for sure, as a windfoiler I love going downwind even in light wind. Where I sail in Vancouver though, it's so rare we get foilable swell without corresponding wind that I doubt this issue he describes of not having wind to keep the wing in the air would be much of a problem at all. Instead it would likely just be a slow slog back to where I started, something I'm quite familiar with when the wind drops to 3 knots.
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

JDS, do you use the 7m wing much? If so, what was wind range?
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

AJSpencer wrote:JDS, do you use the 7m wing much? If so, what was wind range?
The 7m has moved along but my ozone 6m has the same power and I use it constantly. Anything below 20kt. I hate being under powered with the wing.

Funny to go back in time and read posts from days gone by. That post on downwind wave riding is spot on.
Windjunky

7m

Post by Windjunky »

Also wondering about a 7M not for swell but just riding flat on low wind days now that my wing tips aren't catching all the time.
Is this too big to handle?
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Once you get used to it, the wing tip thing isn't much of a factor for a 6m or 7m. Bigger wing does buy you a few knots at the bottom end. Light wind winging is hard work though. Start doing chin ups :-)
smartang

Post by smartang »

I have no problem with my higher aspect fone swing 6m. I think the key to it is the lighter weight. The swing also likes to float at 45 degrees keeping the wing tips higher. I think a big clunky 7m with 8 handles would take more wind to get going, just like the 16m kites from 15 years ago.