Wingfoiling

General discussions about wingfoiling: equipment, tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, pump safety.
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

Agree with all being said for positioning and weighting. The one other consideration seems to be that the offset position is used more by those with very large foils (wingspan & area), to be able to "balance" the foil and actually get leverage for turning/trimming and to some extent the board widths being used. I think as you drop down to smaller you move to more centered. I'm slightly off center heelside by 1-2" at most on front foot (mostly due to V strap config), and maybe 1" to toeside on back foot to counter my front. Still, I have seen prone guys on the web with small foils and straps configured in big offset positions, probably comes down to just riding preference/feel for what works for you.
So in short Grant, it just takes time on the board/foil to figure out what positions work with what combinations, keep at it, it gets better and easier!
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);
Wings:Duotone v2 Unit 4.0, 5.5m; v3 Unit 3.0
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

Just like dropping in Juan you nailed it!
Had another amazing Norte day yesterday! My longest rides by far. Swell was 6-8' and rolling and made for great rides. I didn't get the watch out but some were at least 20-30 seconds, long enough I had time to think and look around. Getting really close on tacks now. I can make them off of foil and even coming around on foil and coming off at the end on some of them. Need more practice though as the shredders make it look too easy. They don't even use the wing they just come in high speed and foil through :roll:
Wind was offshore last 2 days so didn't get Brian shredding, but I did get and epic waterstart.
https://youtu.be/upoSsHR4f9A
33L, 1080cm2 foil, 3.5m wing less than 20kn and Brian is about 70kg.
I still have a ways to go. And yes he is starting toeside to add to it.
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

I'm at sea until the 13th but I hope to get in a bunch of days practice in December. I'm no longer too worried about moderate shore breaks, if anything the wing is less worrysome there than windfoil gear which was unexpected.
My nice heavy foil might actually be easier to manage than one which floats. Also attaching the wing leash to the front of my vest and board leash to the back makes everything easier to manage.
ootwest

T-nuts & bolts

Post by ootwest »

Finally got my board & foil, from two separate shops who actually had stock, but neither came with T-nuts to attach said foil to board!
Anyone know anywhere local to get those?
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

probably not -- but let us know if you find somewhere!

Has to be online, seek out brass or stainless...they are distressingly expensive especially with shipping. Chinook sells them.
https://chinooksailing.com/products/sli ... -t-nut-8mm

Canadian source
https://www.boardsports.ca/chinook-slid ... t-8mm.html
https://www.windspirit.ca/shop/windsurf ... lt-slider/

These are cheap, arrive quick, but they will rust. Good for spares or in a pinch.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07F12HC4K/ref ... 70_TE_item

Here's new ones with a hold screw

https://www.mackiteboarding.com/stringf ... rack-nuts/

Find a better deal, please post it!
Mrnorthsouth
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Mrnorthsouth »

Pm me and you can have some of mine. I have multiple sets.
redbaron
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by redbaron »

Typically the bolts come with the foil. That being said,
Some T-nuts out there are made for mast tracks or long US boxes(ones that come with slingshot foils) will not slide into the more modern foil track boxes made futures(nuts being too wide)

I can send you the right ones for your Quatro Wing Drifter if you want.

I am getting more foil bolts and t-nuts in stock.
Windjunky
Website Donor
Website Donor

wing board

Post by Windjunky »

Just wondering from you wing guys about board size. Just ordered a new wing thought it looks pretty fun will start with sup and driftstopper fins and then to my windsurfer with foil. My question is will I outgrow a 140l fanatic sky wing after riding 130l windsurfer to start. Also will 140L get me out in lighter winds or is it better with something smaller and lighter in light winds say 95L . I have a large 2000cm foil as well as smaller ones. Weigh about 200lbs
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

I'm 200#, 110L inflatable was no problem starting off other than being rather short.
I think a similar dimension hard board would be around 95L and also no problem.
Windjunky
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Windjunky »

Thanks and does the small
board have any disadvantage/advantage in light wind or is it all foil size
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

It's mostly foil size and wing size for your given weight coupled with pumping technique for the low end to get flying. It is nice to have board volume at = or greater than your weight to be able to schlog around or get to land if very light wind. I for example have to sometimes prone paddle out to the wind line or back in if wind drops on my 75 ltr board (I'm probably 90kg in full rubber!)
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

Depends on the water state. That inflatable is quite difficult if it's very choppy and the wind dips well below 10kts.
But as ULR said its easy to prone paddle them, far easier than windsurfing or especially kite gear.
Windjunky
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Windjunky »

Thanks guys I think I will stick with bigger volume for now can probably always sell a wing board later on when its time to progress. Just saw the other wing post very informative.
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Have just been reading that 2 more of the major wing makers Ozone and Ensis are coming out with windows in their next versions. Despite what contrarians are saying about extra weight, lack of shaping etc, seems like the realization of safety in crowded conditions and the ability to look without raising the wing prior to transitions/tricks is the overall benefit. So that leaves only F-One, Takoon, and some other small companies without windows.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

windows...I tend to agree. I have only used wings with windows a few times, I found the windows are often not where I need them anyway, limited help. But they do help a little.

I am used to winging without many other riders around. When there's lots, and especially when there's kites and windsurfers, the risk of collision is much worse, as our trajectories are different. The wing blind spot is huge. Situational awareness is key....a shoulder check is a must before gybing (which is obvious in kiting, but have to get used to it for winging now).

I also had a close call with a boat at Billings Spit, did not see it coming up at speed, as it was directly downwind with my wing in the way.

Anyways, I think windows' positives are worth the negatives.