The Bubble

General discussions about the weather, incoming storms and swell, complaining, why is it always so windy at night etc.

gnarf

The Bubble

Post by gnarf »

The Bubble - I’ve heard different theories about the cause like the bubble but the bubble at Gordons yesterday kinda blew my mind because it was really windy outside and I could have thrown a rock into the wind that was just offshore but along the beach there was nil zip zilch nada bubble which is crazy because the actual direction is fairly onshore where I’ve been launching this year.
Maybe it has to do with the skunk that is following me to the beach the past few times? Or is there an actual real scientific atmospheric reason for this phenomenon ?
Here is a photo of the bubble today that was there on my way home, more of a normal bubble but a bubble is a bubble :
Attachments
4010318F-4DE9-4591-8B87-01752B0D32AF.jpeg
4010318F-4DE9-4591-8B87-01752B0D32AF.jpeg (27.29 KiB) Viewed 5609 times
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

similar thing happens at cook st often.. I believe its the land causing turbulent air to push back.. rising on approach then dropping back against itself.
I'm no physics major but this seems to be what's happening.

https://www.dreamstime.com/royalty-free ... ge16563326
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Seems to be something about heat.....forms at Gordons usually in July/Aug, when temps are highest. Been a weird year so far temp-wise.

Desperate windsurfers of years gone by have tales of swimming their gear out to the wind line. Back when windsurfers cared enough to bother, but maybe one of the new foil enthusiasts with be enthusiastic enough. ;-)

For kiter, bit of a gong show to try to swim the kite out ... could be doable, but lots of possibility for carnage if something goes wrong (in particular all that kelp in the water in between shore and the windline). Need a boat and driver on call to ferry you out to the wind line, and wait for you while you kite. With snacks and beverages.
Rx
Developer
Developer

Post by Rx »

If only these gals had a boat...

KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

juandesooka wrote:Desperate windsurfers of years gone by have tales of swimming their gear out to the wind line. Back when windsurfers cared enough to bother, but maybe one of the new foil enthusiasts with be enthusiastic enough. ;-).
more like try to slog out, swim in....I don't ever recall anyone swimming out....and...if you make it out at times you are hideously overpowered if you make it out...the bubble tends to get bigger, wider as session goes along. You may slog out 100 yards but later swim in 400. Wear the thick suit, the strait is unforgiving!
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
winddude

Post by winddude »

My guess is it has something to do with the current and the water being cooler on the inside, usually where the crab traps are set the seabreeze doesn't fill in because of a high pressure section. Combined with the banana effect, winds always want to blow offshore when near the shore, it creates a larger bubble until tides change or one of the forces tips the scale and the bubble breaks. Plus you have a big wind shadow from sheringham causing additional turbulence. Wind is going to take the path of least resistance.

So probably a combination of all the theories you've heard. Either that, ghosts or a curse.

Or too many kiters and a long lasting fleet effect. :lol:
Last edited by winddude on Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
Atomic-Chomik
Website Donor
Website Donor

bubble

Post by Atomic-Chomik »

I think its Nanmoo's fault.
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

I'm reading this too and don't have anything funny to say. Bubble not funny. Bubble frustrating. Sorry I wasted your time, just like the bubble.
curses - foiled again!