Melanie Houston

Races, swaps, beer nights, clinics, etc.

Paja B

Melanie Houston

Post by Paja B »

The kite and windsurf community lost a beloved young woman last week when Melanie Houston passed away. Many of us have known Mel since she was a little girl, laughing and playing with the other kids in the wonderland of Nitinaht Lake. Mel, her father Walt, and her brother Matt were all keen sailors. Mel was kind and gentle, smart and funny, and she loved her daughter Kat and her son Hunter to the moon and back. Mel also leaves her loving mother and stepfather Trish and Philip Schatz, sister-in-law Tamara, as well as numerous aunts, uncles, and cousins. Mel will be missed forever. There is no service at this time, but her family plans a celebration of Mel’s life, at a future time TBA, on the Island.
Attachments
Melanie.jpg
Melanie.jpg (76.04 KiB) Viewed 5675 times
TomS

Melanie Houston

Post by TomS »

PB - Thanks for posting the sad news about Mel. A good picture, Mel and her brother were so young going to Nitinaht they were bathed in a dishpan and small cooler. In the early 90's windsurf days Melanie sailed across the Nitinaht lake on a 1 meter windsurf sail at age 6. My regards to the family
Every day of work takes 8 hours off your life.
Sandy Beach

Mel

Post by Sandy Beach »

Thanks for posting this and to TomS for sharing your memories of Mel and her brother, as sailing kids at Nitinat.
We have a wind community of a generation of kids growing up on that magical beach/forest/lake.
Devastating news for her family, friends and kids. So sorry to hear this.
Tragic loss.
RIP Mel.
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

What a loss indeed for the wind community and especially her family. Our hearts go out to Walt and all of her family and friends. I'll never forget watching her sail accross the lake at 6-7 years old with one hand on the boom the other hand adjusting her hair out of her face. Rest in peace Mel. :cry:
Why aren't YOU out there?
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I too remember.... bringing my 3 tiny kids to the lake with Walt's "huge" (for then) trailer and his "big" kids being a fixture there.

The little ones were so stoked to be there, taking their cues from the slightly older, seasoned campers and sailors they watched in awe!

Such a devastating loss, shattering news, I am so sorry and my heart aches
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
TonyT1000
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by TonyT1000 »

I did not know this young lady but very sorry to read this news.
My condolences and thoughts to her family.
Tony Webster.
JL

Post by JL »

Sad news. Thanks for passing this on. Stay safe out there everyone :idea:
Thermals are good.
tweezer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tweezer »

I also didn't know Melanie. Very sad news. My condolences to Melanie's family and friends. Our boys grew up in the Nitinat wonderland as well. Heartbreaking to lose one of the wonderland tribe.
MarkS
Fluffy

Mel Houston

Post by Fluffy »

Such very sad news for the wind community. My heart is broken for Walt and his family. RIP Mel ....
speedy

Post by speedy »

Our hearts and prayers go out to her family. We watched her grow up at Nitinat and will forever remember her as a smiling, freckle-faced, beautiful soul. Sleep a gentle and safe sleep Mel. Christina and Joe
Boardsportjunkie

Post by Boardsportjunkie »

Indeed sad news for sure. Growing up along side Mel and Matt windsurfing as kids was awesome. Pushing each other as kids to get better at the sport was epic to say the least. There was very few of us kids at that time in the sport as windsurfing isn't cheap. Kudos to all the parents out there past and present that put the time, effort to teach and putting up great expense to get us to where we are today. I'm sorry for your loss Walt and the rest of the Houston family. Looking forward to the celebration of life. Rest in Peace Mel
You are indeed loved and missed

Sincerely - Matt Glazewski and family