Johnny Read

Races, swaps, beer nights, clinics, etc.

Martin

Post by Martin »

Marion and I only met Johnny a few times but as with everyone else on the forum, "to know him was to like him". Our deepest sympathies to his family and close friends of which we know there are many.

martin and marion
kendra

John Read

Post by kendra »

John's passing is difficult to accept and impossible to understand. It's hard to believe that such a strong individual, who's made it through more crazy mishaps than most of us can imagine (!) could leave us so unexpectedly. His creativity, enthusiasm, great friendship and especially his wonderful smile and intense stoke for life will be deeply missed and always treasured. He will continue to sail with us all in spirit, wherever we are. We miss you Johnny. Kendra and Chris
Ty1

Post by Ty1 »

I’ve been kiting with Johnny for a long time. In 2004 after recovering from injury Johnny met me at the Airport in the Dominican to welcome me with a huge smile and beer. While there Johnny watched over me trying to ensure I would take it easy my first few days back to the sport. This sad news is hard to believe, nothing stops Johnny. He will be truly missed. Cannonball!
arturo

Post by arturo »

The sun shone down on the ocean so wild and the waves carried Johnny to a place in the sky,He was riding in the sun ,jumping so high that he could feel the heat and the beat of his life so full and down he would float to that liquid bliss and rise again with a laugh to launch the big air ,juices overflowing and capture the moment in eternitys eye
icurumba
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by icurumba »

I know this was mentioned already but here’s more,…
In the windsurfing years (mid 80’s to 2000) John would position himself well up wind of the pack, aligning himself at the perfect angle for an “attack”. Once locked in on a down wind target,( another windsurfer) he would bear off at incredible speed, and hunt down his prey. To the unsuspecting windsurfer it was over fast. With his spray in your eyes, and your sail jerking from his dirty air, you where usually swimming before you caught a glimpse of him. The last thing you would hear as he sped away was his laugh.
In kiting, it got even more interesting. The attacks moved into 3D. Quick to merge his huge jumps with proven surface attack techniques, John brought the game to a whole new level – dive bombing.
Like a Japanese zero diving out of the sun, his sneak attacks became even more hilarious and spectacular,…always followed by his laugh. I always tried to “attack “back, and catch him off guard… but it was useless as John was THE king of this game.

For me, having John on the water was always the highlight. Windsurfing, kiting, won’t be the same without him.
Condolences to his family.
lori

Post by lori »

To Our Friend John,

Some knew you well and some maybe not,
Life is just like that we don't give it much thought.

Dominican days and joys of the past,
Who would know those days wouldn't last.

Left here behind to know you are gone,
Thinking of life.. and what is beyond.

With eyes of blue like the sea that you love,
May your spirit fly high to watch from above.

Lori
Galeltic

Post by Galeltic »

today i surfed this site to look for S'up and i saw word of johnny read as i was curious what story and big shocking hit my soul say impossible cuz he is strong guy and i never forget him cuz first time i saw him look alike cork quickly pop out of champage bottle when he kited to jumped too high alike 40 fts at nitinaht and i was shocked to see him as big guy at high air
then i met him and i told him that i called his nickname Jumbo elephant then he asked why and i explained then we laughed lots and he gave me nice cold beer and chatted for awhile
he must miss us on earth when he watch us at water but he would be happy resting in peace :?
EvanOR

Post by EvanOR »

Wow, I am almost find this hard to believe, and I am really shocked and saddened. Johnny was a great guy and a real inspiration. I'll never forget the glory days when he was first learning to cannonball and he scared the hell out of someone at least once a session.. :shock: . More than anything, I won't forget the genuine, never ending stoke for life in his eyes and his huge smile, and I'll aways remember him racing down the steps at Cook Street because he was just that pumped to get on the water each and every time.

Take a lesson from Johnny and live life to the fullest and on your own terms as he did...

Johnny, when I blast under the Golden Gate tomorrow and head towards the open Pacific I'll be looking Northward and thinking of you, my friend.
Ocean Rodeo, US Sales
Hyperflex wetsuits, US Sales

San Francisco, California
frenchman

Johnny

Post by frenchman »

I remember Johnny from back in the day's when he used to make windsurfing sails in his basement in Cadboro Bay! The man was always trying to invent or tweak something. Always full of ideas and passion, and the biggest smile. We will miss you Johnny.
Patrick
shelley buchanan

Post by shelley buchanan »

Oh Johnny,
You are loved and will be missed by many. I feel honoured to have had the privilage to watch you dance through life.
Fromdancing on the beaches, to dancing on the water, to dancing above and beyond the water. It has been a pleasure.
My friend, be well, be safe, and until next time aloha.
For Gordon and family, my toughts and prayers are with you. I thank you for sharing this amazing human being. Shelley B
sunshine

Post by sunshine »

This will take me a long time to accept. He lived nextdoor to me on Michigan Street in James Bay. He came over for dinner a few months ago. Joe and I were going to his place to look at his photos of D.R. next week. God, I miss him. Tears are falling from my eyes as I speak. I was a colleague of John's at the Parks Department and so enjoyed his laughter and ability to help others. I only knew him for a few years but I will always hold him close. And I am sure everyone else will too.

I have a little poem for him:

John has decided not to stay
One of our favourite persons has gone away
John so enjoyed life with all of his friends
But here is where it sadly ends.
Only God knows exactly where he went
John assures us here
'twas time well spent.

May you fly with the birds my friend - we at the Parks Department will all miss you so terribly much. And as Cathie said, 'We will meet you there'.
Love you so much, Lee Stempski and of course, Joe Lachmund.
TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

WHAT? I have been away and was checking the forecasts for the next couple of days and the first thing that I see is that awesome picture of John and couldn't help but think that was so John. My mind immediately had countless Johnny Reid moments running through it. Then I see these posts. What happened?

Some thoughts of John that I wanted to share.

I remember a day sailing with John at the lake many years ago. It was a 5.0, kind of boring day and we were all just sailing back and forth. Then John hits the water with his classic sail and started ripping it up. Slashing the port waves like he was charging down the line in Maui. I caught up to him and for the rest of the day we slashed every piece of chop that we could find. That day changed the way I looked at sailing at the lake. He was so full of energy it was infectious.

My favorite power move at Cook St comes from watching John's patented downwind full speed port jumps. I still to this day charge downwind and do downwind port jumps because of John. I promise to pull at least one of these off everytime time I sail at Cook St John.

The kiting and windsurfing world has lost a true wind soldier.

-Mark
Give'R
windsurf247

Johnny

Post by windsurf247 »

I'm with you Mark. Just checking in to see what's going on and see John's big grin on the home page. Brings lots of crazy memories to mind and then I saw this thread. :shock: :shock:

My jaw was agape for nearly an hour as I read through all the posts and pics. What a tragic loss. His passion for life was evident in everything he did. Everybody knew Johnny, or at least knew of him. He was a true local legend whose memory will not soon be forgotten.

Many thanks for the good times, the inspiration, and contagious energy you always seemed to exude. You will be missed by all.

Our condolences to John's family and friends.

Rob and Sandra
Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

I just learned about John.

What a shocker! My deepest sympathy to the family.

As Mark said his energy was infectious. His cannonball jumps were high and hilarious. His welcoming was always worm and sincere. We'll miss you John.

Go big. Fly high.
Cancer must die!
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

After the reception, myself and others will be heading down to Cook St. to paddle out and celebrate Johnny's life. He was a true friend and WaterMan and this was one of his homes. All are welcome.

Trevor McRae