BWD Oregon Coast Pan-Windsport Meth Free Wave Camp 2019

Races, swaps, beer nights, clinics, etc.

C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

S9 – windsurf – Cape Sebastian (2019 June 19)

Early. Got on it early at the Cape with Jesse and East Coast Peter, but not early enough (loaded from the start). Flattened the sail and sailed as long as I could. Caught a couple of memorable rides. Sailed for a while and then came in to rerig to 4.0 but by the time I got to the van it was full hate and continuing to ramp up so decided to head down to watch the finals instead of taking round two as a beat down (Tsawwassen opted for the beat down). I was `the person` today.

Gallery (if you want to view as a slideshow, hit the "slide show" icon top right - it looks like a screen)
Last edited by C36 on Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

S10 – windsurf – Cape Sebastian (2019 June 20)

Gusty, Early morning session in small swell and gusty wind. Challenging to make work. Heather was working on catching waves and nailing it! Tsawwasswen did a crazy areal 360 off the lip. Off to “The Rock” for a look-see.

Gallery (if you want to view as a slideshow, hit the "slide show" icon top right - it looks like a screen)

S11 – windsurf – Pistol River (2019 June 20)

The Rock. The Rock was open for business again following the event finals being run. Casual evening 3.4/74 cool down at `The Rock`. As I was walking to the water I asked Jesse how his session was: “One minute you love it, then you hate it, and then you love it again – standard Pistol River”. Haunted house was in effect (especially at the outer sand bar), but the swell looked to be about half the size of what the event was run in over the last few days. Wind ampted up just as we took to the water and in the end it was Duncan Coombs, the Boss, Johnny, Tsawwassen and I on the water. Duncan Coombs said it was “windy” as he left the water (and he has seen some wind). Crazy windy in town. Dinner at the Thai food truck!

nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

On route. Even brought Windsurf gear just in case I want to tickle my fancy.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

S12 – windsurf – Cape Sebastian (2019 June 21)

Similar. Similar to yesterday morning. Decided to mix it up and wore my winter suit to take advantage of the `therapeutic` benefits of the XCEL lining. East Coast Peter and I got on it early (again), this time while it was still light. There was some slog n` ride and in the really light stuff it made for some wet pivot gybes and a few missed target waves. The good news was there was still some background south swell rolling through to provide some nice surprises and a few smiles. Two shared party waves with East Coast Peter (one intentional – on the south section of the wave and the second he rolled off his wave in a lull and I bottom turned around him). We chatted and he was all smiles and good with both. The rest of the crew joined in and Heather’s/Tony’s heat today was hotly contested (both stepping it up again). When I went up the hill to film it started to crank! It was an adventure carrying my gear off the beach. Fun to share the morning session stoke!

S13 – windsurf – Pistol River (2019 June 21)

Easy-Pesy. Evening cool down at the rock while Tsawwassen and Luke were taking another high-wind session at the Cape. Wind at The Rock looked more than 4.0 but not 3.4, so I went to just-enough power (3.4). Was able to get off the beach, keep moving around, and stay above The Rock, but not enough power get to get to where you wanted to be all of the time (which put me in a couple of rather uncomfortable spots, but all ended well). Good exercise in sailing efficiently. No haunted house today. Much nicer side-on wind/wave angle today. Cut the session short as wind felt a little spooky. $10 bar-b-que ribs (full side) and a pound of potatoe salad from McKay`s annual customer appreciation day for dinner. Nice of Peter and Rhonda to host us to a social at their beachside holiday house. Happy to get a bonus free night camping at the Indian River RV Park.

Last edited by C36 on Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

S14 – windsurf – Cape Sebastian (2019 June 22)

Swivel Seats. Santa Cruz Rob was on it early and putting on a wave 360 clinic. East Coast Peter and I were the next two out. Waves were just above Dana’s wave minimum (but well above mine as I don’t have one). Wind ramped up quickly and I opted for smaller gear (4.0/74). Sounds like the main reason Nanmoo came south was to warrantee his swivel seats and a session at the Cape was just a bonus. Johnny had so much fun at The Rock yesterday he was saving himself for a repeat afternoon session there, until he wasn`t. After he took to the water at the Cape he seemed to be enjoying practicing his tacks in front of Little Shark Island. Rhonda took to the water when the nuclear mid-day hate showed up. Saw a skink amongst the rocks. Jesse cooked his lunch inside the vanborghini. Tsawwassen just couldn’t drive away today so he extended his stay by one day.

S15 – windsurf – Pistol River (2019 June 22)

Bombs. After a quick look-see at the south jetty (too light and side-off), Peter G and I went down to The Rock and debated sail sizes – he choose 4.5 and choose 4.0 – with him being MUCH larger than I we figure one of us was wrong. But it turns out there was a third option – we were both right! Just as we were taking to the water Jesse was coming off with a bruised nose and nose imprint in his sail (loop gone wrong) – glad he is OK. We were both happy with our choices and the funhouse conditions lasted until about 5 pm when someone flipped the Haunted House switch and the bombs started to roll through. I was forced for punch out over the outside bar through one logo high wave with a roof (I thought I was done, but made it and was very relieved to see no reinforcements following it up). Ran away from another sluffing monster on the next ride in and rode a couple of cleaner bombs. Burritos and seasoned pork street tacos for dinner. Fun session!

Last edited by C36 on Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

S16 – windsurf – Cape Sebastian (2019 June 23)

Solo. Had the Cape to myself after Tsawwasasen decided to head north for Bandon and beyond with Redbaron, just me and the Pelicans (first time I have seen them do a PSC fly-by at the Cape). Always sad when the crew starts to break apart. Waves were better than expected and got about an hour in before my gear (4.5/92) started to feel too big. Luke, Rhonda and Heather all came out to play just as I was leaving the water. Moo followed and ejected his kite when about 20 minutes later when the wind really started to amp up. Fun way to start the day!

S17 – windsurf – Pistol River (2019 June 23)

Happy Hour. Peter G (5.4), I took (4.0), Johnny (3.7), and Heather (3.1) went down to The Rock for an evening cool down session after Peter G mentioned that the South Jetty was lighter than yesterday (too light). Funhouse water and fairly solid wind made for playful session with both riding and jumping. Johnny was able to reduce neck rash with DYI combo of plastic bag and sandwich grease – big relief. Heather had another successful launch at The Rock but suffered a minor shoulder injury. Dinner and three slices of pie to share at the Porthole. Great way to end the day!

Last edited by C36 on Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

S18 – SUP – Cape Sebastian (2019 June 24)

Glass. Day got off to a strange start – I almost left my phone charging at the breakfast restaurant and almost left my groceries behind at the store (either I am really relaxed or have ‘beach brain’). I arrived at the Cape around 8 am to find NW flow on the outside, but south flow at the beach and glassy waves. Even more interesting were the four surfers catching rides on the clean right just north of the island with the natural tunnel in it. Quick look-see at Myer’s Beach and Secret Beach, then back to the Cape. I grabbed my SUP and went out for a try with mixed results – spooky shadow and seal in cove kept me out of the cove (turned out to be a rock just below the surface), south end of Cape was soft but closing out, middle of was dumping. Sorry I didn’t commit to the cove. I may try again tomorrow.

S19 – windsurf – Cape Sebastian (2019 June 24)

Micro-Wave-Sailing. NW wind finally filled into Cape around 12 noon. Nanmoo was first on it and I followed. It was a Cape effect day – no wind in town. Wind got gustier, waves harder to find and limited return on effort so called it. Russ showed up with film crew in tow. Dana took to the water too. Hood River Mike scored high wave count but punched his right hand through his sail and pounded his sternum on his boom when he hit a double-up trough on the inside that stopped him cold (he seemed shock up but OK). Glad to get one more farewell session in at the Cape but wasn’t what I had hoped for.

S20 – windsurf – Pistol River (2019 June 24)

Light. Lighter than expected. Kites out and locals leaving the water in the spooky wind. Johnny and I rigged (4.5/92 for me) and there was enough wind to get out and SUP-sail style wave ride in. A few rides but then called it to avoid ending my day with a long swim. Johnny and Heather headed south and Tony and I headed back into Gold Beach for dinner at The Barnacle. Sad to see them go, but happy to have shared the time together.

Last edited by C36 on Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winddude

Post by winddude »

great pics! Heading down to Oregon on Saturday, mostly for the hood, but packing the thick suit so I might head to the coast.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Have you seen the swell cast that week....
winddude

Post by winddude »

You're assuming I plan things, lol. Most of it's too far away, Sunday - Tuesday 2-5ft at 20secs+, with 30+ knts, k, I may be there on the weekend.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Rode the Whiskey Run trails near Bandon today. They are amazing. Best flow trails I've ridden. Short laps, amazing up tracks, bob sled like downtracks. The kind of stuff you'd love after a few days sailing. Something for everyone. Bring a bike.
C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

S21 – SUP – Agate Beach (2019 June 25)

Roadside Attraction. Day started with a power outage that included Brookings, Gold Beach, and Port Orford, Stopped for a quick SUP at Agate Beach in Newport as a `good-bye` to the Oregon Coast. As I stepped onto the beach the surf instructor said, “There are lots of REALY fun waves out there today!”, The Northwest 3’ swell at five seconds made for some really great clean waves that were easy to catch and smack. One smooth open right sticks in my mind. Twelve days in with ten spent on the coast it was hard to say good-bye, but glad I made the stop, got wet and caught a few waves.

S22 – windsurf – Swell City (2019 June 25)

Breath. I saw the last planing ride at The Hatchery as I drove by. Took to the water at Swell City in just a breath of wind (to take a dip in the river and to keep the streak alive more than for the conditions). Forecast was really weak for today so hoping for more tomorrow. $10 spaghetti dinner at Pietros that included salad bar and bread sticks.

DEDICATION

This year`s pictures and text are dedicated to those who couldn`t come or had to cut their trips cut short, including Chris, Yuma, and Trudy.

S23 – windsurf – Swell City (2019 June 26)

Rain. Running errands for Tsawwassen and shopping in town. Then off to the river. Better than yesterday – some planing, jumping and gybing, but sub-par. Still better than Squamish with some shape to the water. Windance Thai food truck for dinner then went to see the sold-out showing of the Sarah Hauser film Girl on Wave at Andrew`s Pizza Place. Ended the day with a campfire at Tucker Park (that is how cool and damp it was) – odd.

S24 – windsurf – Swell City (2019 June 27)

Pulse. Caught the mid-afternoon power hour. Rain drop kisses again today (but sun to the east). There were four others out today, so the conditions must have been better. Under and over wind, but powered most of the time. One over-rotated push loop on port. That was fun!

Last edited by C36 on Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:31 pm, edited 10 times in total.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Need. More. Photos. Withdrawal.
Poultry in motion
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

winddoctor wrote:Need. More. Photos. Withdrawal.
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

Good Times!!