GPS Tracking how to's

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Cwsox5150

GPS Tracking how to's

Post by Cwsox5150 »

Just got a Huawei GT2 Pro smart watch. Lot's of cool features on it. Just wondering how most of you do your sailing logs. So far from what I can tell I have to put the watch in outdoor run mode which gives me the option to look at speed, distance and gps track, its the only mode ive seen so far that looks like it would be compatible for windsurfing. Does anyone have one of these watches or have any more insight. Never done a sailing log before but definitely would like to start punching in the data.
tweezer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: GPS Tracking how to's

Post by tweezer »

I don't know anything about the GT2, but any mode that will record GPS coords every 1 or 2 seconds will work. I expect an outdoor run or cycle mode would do that. (The manual I found online didn't indicate the differences between run, walk, or cycle modes.) Then export your track to a gpx file and upload it to bwd. The bwd code will calculate your stats!
Cwsox5150

Post by Cwsox5150 »

Hey good sir, thank you so much for the response. Ive been messing with all the modes, for on the water it seems like the only one that does sort of what is needed is Snowboarding or Ski'ing. I tried those today, snowboarding mode didnt seem to catch the distance properly and Ski mode somehow exited itself and went back to the main watch so I am not sure yet, will definitely keep trying. I don't have my phone on me while sailing tho so I don't know if that makes a difference. The watch runs off blue tooth there is no network attached to the watch. Thanks for the info man, I keep seeing all the awesome sailing logs and its pretty cool. Was cool to see my max speed today for the first time ever tho! Lagoon on the ocean side was pissy so didn't get much of a chance to try the watch out sadly.
tweezer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tweezer »

The manual indicated you could use the watch to collect GPS data without your phone. Apple watch is the same. I can start and stop data logging without my phone and it syncs to the phone when back in range.
Happy logging!
Mark
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Bobson »

My Polar Ignite is the same as Twizzlers. It updates GPS coordinates every 1 second. It also saves the data in the watch until I get back to my phone and then updates the data back to the Polar Flow App. I then log my session via "Submit a Sailing Log". Then I upload my GPS data to the BWD site via "submit a GPS Track" and use my GPX data. I do the GPS track download and upload via my home computer as I can find/save the data easier as I'm not as knowledgeable on saving files to my phone.

If still confused, I can walk you though the steps I take once you've figured out your watches app.

Ding!!
Good Times,
BOBSON!!
slake
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by slake »

I did take a peek here - https://windisgood.com/safety.html#how- ... -gps-track but am unable to answer the following: do people generally upload tracks that cover the whole day? That's how I recorded sessions on my watch. Just paused the watch the couple of times I'd come in for a break, so I have a track for the whole day. Or is each time out on the water a separate track? The latter seems too complicated. Looking at other tracks I'm not sure but think some folks just do the full day (and some might not).
tweezer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tweezer »

I just pause and upload a day's worth. Less juggling of gpx files! Also the track is matched to a log by date but not time of day, so multiple logs and tracks on the same day is a bit more work to match up the sailing log IDs. Can be done, but more juggling!
Cheers,
Mark
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

tweezer wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:56 am I just pause and upload a day's worth. Less juggling of gpx files! Also the track is matched to a log by date but not time of day, so multiple logs and tracks on the same day is a bit more work to match up the sailing log IDs. Can be done, but more juggling!
Cheers,
Mark
... and also of note, your "sessions" count is only day based, so no matter how many you do in 1 day, your sessions total increment +1/day.
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);
Wings:Duotone v2 Unit 4.0, 5.5m; v3 Unit 3.0
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

anyone use iphone for gps tracks? I just replaced my old one using points and wondering what app to use. Any settings that help it not accidentally stop recording, or whatever? Do you wear it under wetsuit or just in front of the wetsuit sleeve?
My last early generation iwatch got waterlogged eventually and I had been wearing it under wetsuit. This was prior to bwd gps upload ability.
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

nvm found the other threads.
Wear under wetsuit.
I turned off the feature that activates screen when you raise your arm.
Used Strava (had to pay, prob not worth it)
Found that if you log into Strava on browser you can “crop” it and remove the drive home when you forget.
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Bobson »

Hey AJ, just the regular (non-pay also known as free) Strava account works and is what I use. When I download my Polar watch info to my phone (by pressing 1 button) it automatically uploads to Strava. I then Submit my GPX track to the BWD site. It takes about 5 mins from start to finish.
Good Times,
BOBSON!!
tweezer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tweezer »

I use the https://waterspeedapp.com/ app on either my watch or phone. It has lots of water sport features built-in and can export a gpx for import to bwd. I pay $17 a year for it. The export feature is a paid feature. Full guide is here: https://windisgood.com/forums/topic/10245.html
Highrocker
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Highrocker »

20230415_160126a.jpg
My budget system consists of an old Garmin Forerunner 220 bought used. The captured tracks are uploaded to the free https://connect.garmin.com site. I then export a GPX file from Connect and upload the file to BWD for expert processing. About a 5min long procedure. Not a perfect solution since the watch is optimized for running. However, most of the failures were due to the user being an occasional dumbass.
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Bobson »

H-Rock Dood, I think you're sweet, hot-pink GPS tracker isn't working properly..... you are ripping out there but by looking at your tracks it says you are slug-slow and kind of 'drunk driver' ish, all over the place. :lol: just kidding. I am always 'smilier' with you out on the water with me. Keep it up!!
Good Times,
BOBSON!!
Highrocker
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Highrocker »

230401 008a.jpg
BobO, you know I'm very comfortable with my gentler side! BTW, my drunken monkey foiling technique is likely because I don't tighten any of my foil/mast/base set screws. I'm too terrified of corrosive welding of parts.....