Hello!!

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
adasungar

Hello!!

Post by adasungar »

Hello all!

I am Ada, an international student from Turkey. I moved to Victoria to study at UVic. I am absolutely in love with windsurfing and being out on the water. Hoping to get out on the water as much as possible in Victoria as well. During the summers back in Turkey, I have worked as a windsurfing instructor, sharing this sport with others is arguably one of the best feelings ever...

I have only ever windsurfed in extremely flat waters, as we have no big ocean waves in Alacati or Bodrum (two major surf hubs in turkey). I am extremely excited to play around in the waves, let alone just windsurf!! I would really appreciate some guidance!!

I'm also extremely unaware of the spots and where I can get on the water, as I don't have a car I don't get to explore too much, I know about clover point but that's pretty much it :D are there things I should know about the spot? or any other spots close by?

I got some gear from marketplace to start me off, I am missing a harness and booties and gloves 😂I will be ordering them but if anyone could lend me a harness for Sunday or Monday? that would be much appreciated (will this forecast for Sunday and Monday come with rain or the main issue lightning? )

Watching the wind from my windows got my blood pumping, I hope people had fun!
Excited to get out on the chilly ocean waters!
grantmac

Re: Hello!!

Post by grantmac »

Winter wind is usually best around 150km North of Victoria although sometimes there is enough wind at Island View (waves with BIG shore break at high tide) or Willows (pretty mellow) and less frequently at Clover Pt.

Not having a car is going to make things a challenge.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Hellooooo Ada:

Welcome. I would recommend going out when other people are out:

Willows Beach
Wind: SE or W
Check Willows webcam and Discovery Island

Ross Bay
Wind: W/SW
Check Dallas Rd webcam and Trial Island and Gonzales

Island View
Wind: SE
Check IV webcam and IV weather station

Esquimalt Lagoon (ocean side)
Wind: S/SW
Check Esquimalt wind

Clover Point is not a friendly spot to sail or launch but the picnic tables are nice.

https://windisgood.com/sailing-guide.html

You can probably borrow a harness from a Wing foiler if you see one on the beach.
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

I have a spare ws. harness you are welcome to borrow Ada as a welcome! My Sprinter van is out of commission for the weekend, I'm cramming my gear into a smaller vehicle, so can't help out on transport. I'll try and remember to put in the extra harness though. I have small feet and have some booties better than bare feet but not by much. No lighting expected. Big question - do you foil?
adasungar

Post by adasungar »

grantmac wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:03 am Winter wind is usually best around 150km North of Victoria although sometimes there is enough wind at Island View (waves with BIG shore break at high tide) or Willows (pretty mellow) and less frequently at Clover Pt.

Not having a car is going to make things a challenge.
Thank you so much!

yes the no car situation is definitely not ideal 😫
adasungar

Post by adasungar »

bwd wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:11 am Hellooooo Ada:

Welcome. I would recommend going out when other people are out:

Willows Beach
Wind: SE or W
Check Willows webcam and Discovery Island

Ross Bay
Wind: W/SW
Check Dallas Rd webcam and Trial Island and Gonzales

Island View
Wind: SE
Check IV webcam and IV weather station

Esquimalt Lagoon (ocean side)
Wind: S/SW
Check Esquimalt wind

Clover Point is not a friendly spot to sail or launch but the picnic tables are nice.

https://windisgood.com/sailing-guide.html

You can probably borrow a harness from a Wing foiler if you see one on the beach.
Really glad I asked before 😂 Much appreciated, the sailing guide looks really good as well!!

Thank you so much!!
adasungar

Post by adasungar »

more force 4 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:34 pm I have a spare ws. harness you are welcome to borrow Ada as a welcome! My Sprinter van is out of commission for the weekend, I'm cramming my gear into a smaller vehicle, so can't help out on transport. I'll try and remember to put in the extra harness though. I have small feet and have some booties better than bare feet but not by much. No lighting expected. Big question - do you foil?

Thank you so much!! I am really grateful! Do you know where you will be headed? I have only been on a foil for an extremely short amount of time, I would really like to try it out more. Is it a better idea to foil near the city? i assume?
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

Sorry thought I had responded this morning, it got lost, was at Willows Beach so not too far from UVic.