Windsurf foiling

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
winddude

Post by winddude »

also the rs:x foil, which is going with a 7.8, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-t86jIyBcg looks better then the current rs:x although not a crazy fan of one design racing anymore
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
KC7777

New Fanatic Gecko Foil Edition

Post by KC7777 »

Wow!

Looks nice!...Fanatic Gecko Foil specific board

Enter a new world of riding sensations with our Gecko Foil. Switching effortlessly between a Freeride Windsurfer and a Foil board, it offers everything you need to just have fun!

Following strong requests from several foil specific brands, and riders all asking for a Gecko with a Foil Box, we decided to go ahead and do it! The perfect starting point into the rapidly growing foil world, we bring you the Gecko Foil.

The Gecko Foil offers just enough area and lift in the nose to always stay above the surface in the early stages of foiling. Once you’re up and on the foil, the board keeps its smooth and comfortable character. As it comes in the original Gecko shape, the Gecko Foil remains the same easy Windsurf ‘Funboard’ if you prefer to feel the waters’ surface under your feet.

The sizes we’ve chosen for the Gecko Foil (120 & 133) have an increased length and more parallel outline, creating extra stability and planing support. Coming in our pristine and lightweight LTD construction and with plenty of performance features built in, the Gecko Foil is the perfect companion for your progression whatever setup you choose to ride.

http://www.fanatic.com/product/gecko-foil-edition/

Keith
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

The marketing clips are just too short to figure out what is going on, but it sure looked like one of them was dropping off foiling when the clip ends, and the guy initiating the jibe looks way too intense and worried! Wonder how that turned out. Gotta try a few systems to see if the hype will translate!
KC7777

Post by KC7777 »

more force 4 wrote:The marketing clips are just too short to figure out what is going on, but it sure looked like one of them was dropping off foiling when the clip ends, and the guy initiating the jibe looks way too intense and worried! Wonder how that turned out. Gotta try a few systems to see if the hype will translate!
I was thinking the same thing Morley.

I've seen vids of Robby Naish, Dale Cook and Bruce Peterson on foils and they look "tense", way more tense than when we see them on a regular windsurfer, especially during the jibe. And we don't see how the jibes end. The NSSB guys are tacking their foils, not jibing.

I think it needs a couple of seasons.....I'll wait and see. Plus it's hard to source anything with a foil as marketing is way ahead of production.

I do think we'll see foiling replace Formula. It's stupid to have a 10.0M sail with a massive boom and mast.

I like Fanatic's idea of a freeride board with a reinforced Fin box. So you could foil or freeride.

Keith
KC7777

Foil

Post by KC7777 »

Hey,

Disregard post above. Haha.

Rationale. Was in the Gorge last week. Sold some masts at Windance and had a store credit. Saw a kid on a 100L Starbord ripping on this with a 4.0M. Spending lots of time at Kootenay Lake this summer....it's breezy there. And Lambert Channel between Hornby and Denman will be perfect too. Always 10 knots there. So a foil should get me on the water. So said WTF and got me one of these...

The Slingshot windsurf foil comes with both a 24" and 32" mast. Shorter mast easier to learn on.

It's aluminum so not as fragile.

Can be mounted on power box board (I got the conversion plate) or on a Tuttle (shown in pic...tuttle piece unscrews and plate goes on to use with power box conversion plate).

I am gonna learn on this, so won't be ripping hard and the plate system looks to spread the force out. Man I hope I don't toast my nice Fanatic Freewave 116L!

It will be available for rental/demo for cheap....use your own power box or tuttle box board....all in was $1,300US....just want to recover a bit of my cost.
Contact me if interested! Should be on the island next week and early July.

Keith
C 604-997-2577
Attachments
IMG_7393.JPG
IMG_7393.JPG (136.64 KiB) Viewed 3695 times
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

COOL I hope this comes up on the used windsurfing equipment for sale soon Keith!! ;) no seriously i look foreward to hearing aboit thr learning curve for a real world older sailor. Talked to Marty at Strong Kiteboard on the weekend and hes having a windsurf foil with shorter mast for demo or rent at the Lake early August i think he said. I suspect that There will be lineups!
Edit
Omg just watched the Robby Naish video of him foiling in 6 to 10 knots "seriously underpowered " on 4.7 but still making it work. He says with a 5.7 had just need one or two pumps. I mean it's RN and has unreal skill. still I want to do that !!!! Im even willing to do the 5.7. I like the starting in footstraps right from the uphaul too.
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

It appears these things can also give some gnarly injuries ...

http://wtfbc.ca/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=22 ... 247#p27247

and the video:

http://windsurfing.tv/video/oooouuch-na ... ta-hoevel/

:shock:
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

Yes, but on the good side there is new life for the 30 year old rigs gathering mould in the back corner of the shed. Robby Naish in his video of foiling in 6 knots with a 4.7 notes that a long boom works really well with foils. Then I found this:

http://windsurfing.tv/video/foiling-30-year-old-sail/

Hilarious, the 30 year old rig is way faster than the modern one.

What did they call these rigs with a negative leech cut for higher winds - 0 battens needed?
Last edited by more force 4 on Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
downwind dave

Post by downwind dave »

looks cool! but take a tumble onto a 30 yr old sail and see what's left of it! :lol:
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

downwind dave wrote:looks cool! but take a tumble onto a 30 yr old sail and see what's left of it! :lol:
Take a tumble onto a foil with a 64 year old body and see what's left of it :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
jim mckenzie

Post by jim mckenzie »

They were called 'storm sails'; typically 35 square feet with a high clew for riding in surf. I have a 30 year old Windsurfing Hawaii cambered dacron sail that is holding up just fine. And we just got a full mistral rig like the one in the video with a Superlight that I was wondering what to do with. The pure dacron is key as it settles in and then pretty much stays softly stable for a long time, if it gets dried off after every use, for 30 years. No battens. Easy rig. Nine foot booms.
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

Hey Keith which foil did you get, the FWIND1 or 2? Have you tried it out yet? I'm thinking of getting one as well.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

KC, happy to rent the foil...I got a couple older boards I can rip the box out of ....and don't see how much more I could possibly damage my body :roll:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Riderinthestorm

Windfoil

Post by Riderinthestorm »

My uncle Peter, who owns LP composites is making Windfoils in Hood River, he is coming up in the next couple of weeks and he will stay in Nitinat. If there is interest I can ask him to bring a Demo foil or two.
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Windfoil

Post by more force 4 »

Riderinthestorm wrote:My uncle Peter, who owns LP composites is making Windfoils in Hood River, he is coming up in the next couple of weeks and he will stay in Nitinat. If there is interest I can ask him to bring a Demo foil or two.
Yes Please!!!! Love to try out a few options! We could have 4 foils to use if he brings two, Marty brings in his demo, and KC77777777 rents his. Now I wish I hadn't tossed my last powerbox board!

If the latest gen foils are as easy to learn as advertised and they will work in 10 knots, I see them really catching on where the wind doesn't blow hard. Reinvigorating and growing the sport has been promised a few times before (wide boards, SUPs come to mind) without it really happening. But this has the potential to be entirely different this time around.