Bonaire? Rec a good place to stay or just go to Maui or ?

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
KC7777

Bonaire? Rec a good place to stay or just go to Maui or ?

Post by KC7777 »

Hey,

Looking at maybe Bonaire for 2 weeks in early December as a combo dive and windsurf holiday? I am just getting my dive ticket and also want a good place for beginner/intermediate windsurf lessons for Dagne?

Or maybe just go to Maui?

Any suggestions on good places to stay in Bonaire?

K
Last edited by KC7777 on Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Keith. I stayed at the Hotel KonTiki near Lac Bay. It was a nice place but may be under new management relative to when I stayed there which was quite a while ago.

Lac Bay is a good place for Beginner/Intermediate learners. The water is waist to chest deep and the wind is side/on. Jibe City is a very laid back place to hang out on the beach as well. Sorobon Beach Resort is right next to Jibe City and looks nice. When I was there it was a nudist resort but it looks like that's no longer the case.
I wish my TOW was longer!
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

For a dive/windsurf (beginner/int) Bonaire is likely a better bet than Maui during December. Water will be warmer (definitely) and clearer (most likely) for diving in Bonaire, and December winds should be 12-18 in Bonaire, fickle in Maui as you know. Cayman Is or Turks & Caicos may be other choices. I've spent lots of time in rain in Maui in late Nov/Dec, and that kind of sucks for dive trips.
We windsurf - life must be good!
firstonlastoff

Post by firstonlastoff »

Another possibility; go to BigWinds this month to get the process started (warm, windy, lots of classmates), then anywhere where there is a sea breeze having a windsurfing rental shop with decent gear and good diving nearby, such as the previously suggested Caribbean sites, and I would add Belize to the list as being based on a Caye you get light sea breezes and access to world class diving and snorkelling.
frank

Post by frank »

anywhere you go in the caribe, try to nail the Christmas wind in december to january...!!
Geoffy could brief you!...but i think Tobago as more to offer as a caribe island...bucco reef is family friendly, good drift diving all around the island.and excellent family surfing at Mt-Irvine! and not touristy!

...... also, now Hawaian airlines as a saturday flight to Tahiti ($800return)...for those looking into a top of the line hawaii-moorea combo holiday...!
"I stand strong in da babylon...i'm the captain of my soul" Burning Spear
Snarfer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Snarfer »

I spent 10 days there many years ago. The dive sites are well marked and curated because it's super important for their tourism. There were over 100 as I recall and the water is warm and clear blue. I kited at Pink Beach which has offshore winds (and a rescue boat for $20). I forget where I stayed but I did have to rent a car - without it it is tough to get around.
Geoffy

Tobago

Post by Geoffy »

Yup - Tobago is super sweet. Great learner/big-gear wsurf/kite location at Pigeon Point (Bucco Reef) - which is why the big UK and German clinics are there every March. Radicalsportstobago.com. Awesome diving/snorkeling all up the Caribbean side of the Island, and for slightly more advanced divers, Speyside/Charlotteville will put you in heaven. I remember big-fish (Manta-ray) season was more around March though, but possibly anytime of year up on North - Atlantic side.

Check AirBnB, we got great deals last March. If rich - stay at Blue Waters Inn for a super-sweet romantic place.

Down-sides - hard to get to, wind is lighter than Bonaire by about 5 kts due to Venezuela's venturi effect, so expect 12-15 kts. If lucky and depending on Caribbean versus Pacific water temperatures, it can blow like stink though.
We windsurf - life must be good!
mamero

Post by mamero »

Last February my wife an I went to Tobago to windsurf and it was awesome. We considered Bonaire first but the cost of flights to Bonaire are $$$$!! For what ever reason Tobago is much cheaper than Bonaire from this part of the world. And yes, if you time it right you could maybe get in on a clinic. Peter Hart was doing a clinic while we there. If we'd known ahead of time we would have signed up for it. The week before we arrived Jem Hall was there. I still want to go to Bonaire but man, those flights!