SUP surfing

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
livetheocean

Post by livetheocean »

I'm offloading my wave SUPs now I've moved inland to the land of sailing in boardshorts... Just posted a Fanatic 8'6" AllWave (130l) and Naish Hokua 9'3" (125l) in the buy and sell. I'm 175 lbs and they are super stable to paddle but really rip when you're on a wave. and Boards are in Penticton but we can talk about getting one down to the coast or the island if you're serious. PM me if you have any Qs.
JasonD

Post by JasonD »

livetheocean:
-I've noticed that the longer board is lower in volume and the shorter board is higher in volume? What is more important? Length or volume? For me being 6'2" 215lbs, I'm wondering if the higher volume/lower length would be a easier transition from the tank? I've emailed the usedvic board person but I'll send you a pm with some questions about yours.
Thanks for all the info!!
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Width then volume. You can paddle surface area with little volume onto the surface but narrow is always tippy. But there are some thresholds: anecdotally things begin to get quite tippy under 28" wide and under 10L more than you weigh in kgs. That said, I'm 6'1" and 185 lbs before wettie and my main board is a 7'7" 92L. It's no vacation and you gotta keep your stick on the ice but good on the wave. The lowest volume I've managed to successfully ride without cheating is probably just under 80L but in boardies and much saltier water. Good luck.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
livetheocean

Post by livetheocean »

The Fanatic 8'6" is way more stable than the Naish - not just due to width but also volume distribution. The rails are super thick and boxy under the centre of the board, and the tail tapers out to a thin swallowtail for better handling on a wave, when you're standing further back and planing. On the Naish, the rails are thin throughout and the shape is designed for really burying the rail and carving big lines on a bigger, cleaner wave. At 215 lbs you'd find the Naish very tippy, I think. Even the Fanatic might be borderline, depending on what you're stepping down from. - David
JasonD

Post by JasonD »

David,

I'm transitioning down from a 10'6"x29"x4 3/8". I use a large single fin without the small side fins. With all 3, I find it doesn't turn fast enough/takes too much effort and with just the 2 small side fins makes it way too responsive while paddling. e.g.: With a single fin I'm able to paddle a few strokes on each side and keep it straight which helps getting back out past the set after a long ride inside the river mouth. With the 2 smaller fins, it responds much easier and I don't have to lean on the paddle so much on a wave but I feel with each stroke, I have to constantly change sides when getting out the back or into position. Maybe not paddle so hard??

I appreciate the honesty in your pm. I'm waiting to hear back from the usedvic person but will do more research on your Fanatic.

If I was a windsurfer, I could justify spending $1500 on a SUP and use it for 2 different activities but I'm a dangler so it would only be for winter swells out west.

I work in the CG and I'm usually away a month at a time and spend most of my time-off travelling but I'm transitioning to a shore job so I'm trying to get my winter kit sorted for the upcoming fall swells!!

So far I've learned:
-up my budget for a carbon
-practice the monkey dance finless
-shorten my paddle lenght
-width over volume

Thanks!
smartang

Post by smartang »

You should never have to switch sides when paddling. Even with no fins. You'll want to google how to paddle a low volume surf sup. Short C strokes. Reading your last post I would say you need a transition board. I'd go with the 9'3" naish, plenty of volume, but looks like a board that can hold in some pretty decent winter swell too. The added length means you won't have to worry about sinking the nose and tail while paddling. This is still a big board, but will get to the next level. Naish will also keep it's value and you should be able to sell it next year or for a similar price.
livetheocean

Post by livetheocean »

Yep, definitely no need to worry about sinking the nose of the Naish, it's got so much nose rocker you can get away with dropping in super late. Pearling can be an issue on the Fanatic as the nose is so wide and flat, so you need to be more careful about foot placement. It's insane how much more stable it feels than the Naish, though. Especially on a day when there's a bit of chop when you're waiting out back behind the rivermouth.
TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

I have a 7'6" Riviera Door that I am all but done with. It has some life left in it and I will be selling it cheap. I have bought a new board that will be here in a couple weeks.

Now I know that you said you were 215lb and I am suggesting a 7'6" board, but this might still work. It is 7'6" by 29" wide and is around 107-110 litres. It was a custom board made for the Riviera team riders when this board came out a few years back. A stock 7"6" Door is much bigger.

With the long rails the board is very stable yet still turns well. It is quite fast down the line. The board has a couple of small repairs from a crash I had a few weeks back.

https://www.seabreeze.com.au/img/photos ... 480086.jpg

Anyway if you at all interested let me now and we can talk...as I said it will be cheap because I got a good deal on it.
Give'R
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

+1 on TheLaw.

That board is very stable, so much so I borrowed it to surf in Board shorts last summer in Tofino. It's a lot like a Starboard Pocket Rocket, low rocker, fast, catches anything.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
JasonD

Post by JasonD »

Hi TheLaw! Sent you a pm. Thanks!