foil mount

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Atomic-Chomik
Website Donor
Website Donor

foil mount

Post by Atomic-Chomik »

I just converted my old cabrinha kiteboard and used the 4 bolt through system. I got ahold of long delrin rod from industrial paint and plastic to start. Then i drilled through the top layer of the board to the bottom(kept the bottom layer) in a diameter larger than the delrin rod. Then i cut section of the delrin to the depth of the holes and notched out those sections with grooves on the sides(for the epoxy to bond too, dremel worked great). One all prepped i mixed some epoxy with milled fibers to make a paste, filled the hole 1/3 of the way, and inserted the rods. As the bubbles rose from the creation i kept and eye on it and topped up a couple of times so the resin hardened just slightly above the level of the deck.
Once hardened, i drilled pilot holes through the board with a smaller bit. Make sure to keep it straight and lined up with the base plate holes(very important). I went through the bottom to the top for this, as the alignment with the base plate is critical.
Then, i epoxied 5 layers of 5oz cloth on the top deck, finished holes(through the delrin rods) and voila.
Day 3 and no flex of issues noted.
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

I'm going to do this with my old skim board and mount some Stringy wings!
curses - foiled again!