sail repair

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Windjunky
Website Donor
Website Donor

sail repair

Post by Windjunky »

Anyone know of a decent cheap place to have sails repaired near victoria 2 of my mast sleeves have ripped.
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

Precision Sails in Langford do the odd fix.. just make sure you talk $$$ before they do the work..

otherwise Leitch n McBride, or UK sails are in Sydney..

for the best work on the island send it to CKR Comox Kite Repair.. who also works on windsurf sails.. Greg K on here I think is his handle
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Sleeves have generally little load on them. Unless in those critical areas...get iron on patches and be done...but your sails are probably ancient so ditch em maybe, good reason to...we have tons of decent used inexpensive sails around. If you need a quiver of low dollar ones send a pm to jellyfish :idea:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Windjunky
Website Donor
Website Donor

sail repair

Post by Windjunky »

Thanks Kus just bought these severne sails i knew one was ripped but 2 more ripped when i tried to put mast in them they are ten years old but until i get a little better i will make them last for a year or two. I will try the iron on and see how that works thanks .Mostly want to make it easier to get mast all the way in they are ripping just before the reinforced section at the tip. I am looking for some skinny masts for them 400 430 .
jim mckenzie

Post by jim mckenzie »

When you insert the mast into the sleeve don't try to shove it in all the way all at once. Slide it in until it gets difficult and put it down. Go to the other end and shuffle the sleeve along the mast by letting it bunch up and insert the mast into the tip of the sleeve. Now go back to the base and pull the sleeve the rest of the way, or until you need to do it again. Once the tip is seated you can pull hard without fear of damaging the sleeve. Always check the top of the mast when you're done rigging to be sure it hasn't slipped out. I had to re rig last time because it had turned itself upside down.
Windjunky
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Windjunky »

Thanks for the advice i noticed on one of the sails which is a few years newer that severne had realized there was a problem and used a bit more reinforcement in this area and added an extra row of stiching i will have to be more careful
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

You can insert top section of the mast, then bottom keeping the lower part of the sail wrinkled in smooth folds...then insert/assemble the mast ferrule and there is zero stress on the sleeve...I always do it that way and cringe when I see people showing a full length mast into a laid out flat sail :roll: :x
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....