Windsurf Foiling Discussion

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
BigD

Gorge Windfoiling

Post by BigD »

I have a Wizard V3 130L on order, hoping to get it in the next few weeks:

Summer Goals:

https://youtu.be/WJMlcLhm3y8

Slingshot Phantasm info(not released yet):

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=ca
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

They keep banging on about shims being less efficient without addressing that shims are a tuning tool used on every race foil made.

Also a lot of statements about being "stiffest on the market" without any measurements.

Like most Slingshot stuff it's long on promotion and short on facts.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Gorge Windfoiling

Post by winddoctor »

BigD wrote:I have a Wizard V3 130L on order, hoping to get it in the next few weeks:

Summer Goals:

https://youtu.be/WJMlcLhm3y8
That guy sails like a hummingbird with ADD. Mostly in a good way. 😄
Poultry in motion
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

Greg Glazier looks like another young guy who can learn new things quickly. Doubt he's over 60.
firstonlastoff

Post by firstonlastoff »

Someone speculate. What volume of Wizard was Greg using ? ( I am referring to the video posted above by BigD ).
I am now an impostor for this Username.
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Wizard 90

Post by Bobson »

There are only 3 so pretty sure it's the 90 litre.
+ I saw another video where he says he uses a longer mast...115 or 125cm long and the 84 front wing.
Good Times,
BOBSON!!
BigD

volume

Post by BigD »

Well the sail is a 2.8 so I would guess the 90L version.

If you scroll down on this page there is a great comparison of the older 125L vs the new 114L:

https://bigwinds.com/products/2021-slin ... oil-board/

I'm hoping the 130L will have enough volume for my fat ass, I'll probably look more like a dancing bear than a hummingbird. Better start eating salads now.
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

He also crashes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHZmDxihTU8

Look at the length of the Phatasm mast!
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Wizzard

Post by Bobson »

The board is a proto I think, 4’11” and 101 litres.
Good Times,
BOBSON!!
KC7777

Foil combo boards

Post by KC7777 »

Hey,

Wondering....

I was originally hoping to get one board that could do windsurf foiling and wing foiling...with one interchangeable foil system (double track not tuttle).

Tuttle is dumb as you are stuck where the foil goes?

But I don't think that is possible? One thing I am noticing....is that windsurf foil boards mostly use tuttle, and are more rear mounted. Even the Slingshot BigD just bought, which has the two tracks system (instead of tuttle) has them placed farther back, towards the tail of the board.?

Whereas, all wing boards use two tracks, placed more forward towards the centre of the board.

Seems that a windsurf foil board has the foil mounted farther back than where you mount your foil for winging. Makes sense I guess as windsurfing you have both the mast and you on the board, and you are hanging out to the rear...winging you are standing right on top of the board.

So if you ever want to use just one board, eg for both wing and windsurf, I think it's hard to find a board right now that would do both...without buying two foils!!

Eg here is the Starboard X-Wing....the tuttle box is at the back for windsurfing and the twotrack system in front for wingfoiling. Great if you have 2 foils...a tuttle and a double track. Say you get an Armstrong wing for foiling, which is the double track to mount to the board, and get a longer fuselage and smaller front wing for windsurf foiling, I wonder how it would windsurf if you were running the windsurf foil in the track system, which is way forward?

Which is why I think you need two boards. And likely two foils?

Anyone else think of a good two in one board?....with one double track foil system. I think the board would need two A-tracks that are much longer?
Attachments
FoilXwing_main2021.jpg
FoilXwing_main2021.jpg (56.14 KiB) Viewed 3951 times
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

You can get twin track top plates for tuttle masts, but I agree a double set of tracks would work perhaps even better.
BigD

Slingshot

Post by BigD »

I know grantmac is a huge Slingshot fan :wink: so I thought I would mention the Hoverglide fuselage can be switched around (C position) to get the infinity 76 wing further forward. I usually run the 84 in C position so would have to rely on tracks all the way forward for that wing.

Would be nice to get one setup to do it all but I think once you get proficient at the wing you'll likely want a pretty small board to make it more maneuverable. Likely too small to windfoil unless you are at in the Gorge
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

Long fuselages are pretty horrible to wing with in my experience. You lose a the pumping capability. I tried it with the long Supercruiser fuselage.

But you can get the short Slingshot fuse pretty cheap.
voodmon
Website Donor
Website Donor

KC777

Post by voodmon »

I have a 2018 Fanatic Gecko 133 Foil , i bought used locally, my biggest sail is a 5.7m2 and i have the fanatic H9 foil, but have never used either, either it's too windy or i am working and i am older 65 going on 66, glad to hear that zee Blast is working for you, I would just be happy to be blasting around with the 5.7m2 on the finned Gecko! Cheers!
Surfing outside of Platos cave, searching for Blue Skies.
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

The Slingshot switch fuse and small and large fuse gives a lot of versatility, even with a tuttle.