Cutting Carbon

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Cutting Carbon

Post by Tsawwassen »

I broke my carbon extension at this summer and was wondering if I should try and make a short one out of it. What would be the best, cleanest way to cut it? Whats the shortest it can go? Is it even worth it after a break like this or should I just scrap it?
Attachments
photo 1-3.JPG
photo 1-3.JPG (119.26 KiB) Viewed 6120 times
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Send it to Chinook and get a new one… :evil: must have 6" inserted, doesn't look like there's a lot of xtra...I would cut it so you have full round top edge not involving a setting hole...(hacksaw or fine blade rotary I guess), then coat end with epoxy....snug fit it maybe with an electrical tape wrap
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

KUS wrote:Send it to Chinook and get a new one… :evil: must have 6" inserted, doesn't look like there's a lot of xtra...I would cut it so you have full round top edge not involving a setting hole...(hacksaw or fine blade rotary I guess), then coat end with epoxy....snug fit it maybe with an electrical tape wrap
Thanks Markus! Just measured it and it would only give me 5.5" once cut so I won't bother.
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

It shouldn't break like that, right? Markus' comment makes me think that it should be a warranty claim.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Well not necessarily but chinook had some issues with their extensions and I am very disappointed they didn't do a recall...but most broke at the base. This looks like a serious dumpy wave working OR a flaw...the user would know it :idea:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

If Chinook won't warranty and you decide to cut it use a high speed wheel (Dremel etc) or else it'll just splinter.

I wonder if they would sell just a replacement tube?
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

KUS wrote: This looks like a serious dumpy wave working
You got it! A very big dumpy wave while caught in the impact zone at Crescent City. A few things went wrong... One my 4.7 takes 28CM of extension and the exposed part was slammed into the edge of my board. Not sure how but the rail came up just as the wave came down, snapped the extension as well as cracking my board. I'm glad it was the extension and not the mast!
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (158.63 KiB) Viewed 5996 times
downwind dave

Post by downwind dave »

i cut carbon hockey sticks all the time, the trick is wrap it with tape to avoid splinters, use a fine tooth saw and sand the edge to avoid slivers afterwards. also don't breathe any of the dust. but yes it will be a bit short. :wink:
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

downwind dave wrote:i cut carbon hockey sticks all the time, the trick is wrap it with tape to avoid splinters, use a fine tooth saw and sand the edge to avoid slivers afterwards. also don't breathe any of the dust. but yes it will be a bit short. :wink:
Thanks for the tips Dave. I was wondering about the dust and was thinking about wearing a mask. I looked at it again and it's going to be really short so I'm definitely not going to do it now. Thanks for everyones advice. Hope to see you on the water again soon! :D
GWIND

Cutting carbon rounds

Post by GWIND »

I have used a copper tubing cutter several times and it works well for me. Use a new cutting wheel and go slow and keep the bite pressure low. No dust.
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
gorge_r_and_d

Post by gorge_r_and_d »

tempy wrote:It shouldn't break like that, right? Markus' comment makes me think that it should be a warranty claim.
Dude that thing is ancient! At latest 2009 I'de guess? Tubes are much stronger now...