SSE Departure Bay

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
DB

SSE Departure Bay

Post by DB »

I see a few old topics covering this. As an intermediate windsurfer (my water starts are meh), I was looking at doing more during SSE winds. Normally I am on NW NNW out at Myron or Eby Road since I like the consistent side-shore there in the mornings compared to the stronger NNW at Pipers (and no windshadow).

Was cycling past Departure Bay today and noticed the SSE was white-capping a bit, while Entrance Island was showing 15-18kts. So it seemed close to 15kts in the Bay. Is it too gusty/inconsistent to be worthwhile? I was keen on trying it since it looked quite flat - I'm not up for heavy swells like CB. Was considering either Nanoose or Departure Bay. Since there used to be a windsurf shack there in the 80s I thought it may be worth it, unless that was more for beginners (which I am close to).

Comments appreciated.

Side note I see that there's a new station "Bluebill" on the north side of Nanoose - nice to have since Ballenas Islands seems to be down.

DB
DB

Post by DB »

Sorry meant to say SSE was showing at Entrance, Gabriola ENE, but in the Bay it seemed to be coming in directly E.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

That day winds were definitely east which is less common. To my knowledge yes DB is gusty and not really sailable...at least water start practice there would be super frustrating....some local folks could chime in.
Swells at CB or SP are nothing usually when winds are that low, your waterstarts will love SP sand and swells/waves actually make water starting easier....time on/in the water, waiting around for perfect conditions on a perfect beach just delays your progress and makes you even rustier so...c’mon go to SP today :idea: :!: Make a day of it, you won’t be alone either so have a fellow sailor keep you in their sights
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
eastside

Post by eastside »

Sometimes you can get good southeast winds at Myron rd in Lantzville or if you want to carry your gear down from the Blueback access. But I’d say go to Sans Pareil. Windy, safe and usually a crowd.

Ask any windsurfer how to water start and you will get lots of advice. Maybe too much. There are not many of us around anymore so we like to encourage any fellow traveller.
Last edited by eastside on Sat May 16, 2020 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB

Post by DB »

Thanks KUS - needed that!
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

During a rare light to moderate easterly, Departure Bay can be fun to cruise around on a big board, but it is less amenable to windsurfing during stronger winds, specifically if you want to practice waterstarts. One place I found great for waterstart practice when I was learning was IN the lagoon at Pipers, but you must time it for high tide (and strong winds of course). The best wind direction for being in the lagoon is SE (fewer upwind obstructions), but NW works too. There are obvious benefits of the lagoon including easy access to amenities (great rigging area, bathrooms, fresh water tap) and no chance of being blown into the Strait. The bottom is mostly sand. Plus the water can be almost tropically warm if the tide has come in over sun-heated sand (no wetsuit needed) :D
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Yeah forgot about THAT place, 4J, good thinking!!
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Not sure if this is useful for current conditions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-udQfmF ... e=youtu.be
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

That is an awesome find, Dave! Can you add it to the "other" cams?