Hello and advice

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Bcarmena

Hello and advice

Post by Bcarmena »

Hi everyone. I have been lurking the BWD forums for a while. I started windsurfing in the Caribbean in the 80's when I was 13. My father, brother and I used to go out frequently and I continued to windsurf for over a decade. Most of my time was spent freeriding on an 8'4 Protech with anything from 4.8 to 6.2 sails. It was a slalom board with a single tuttle and a fairly flat bottom. It didn't carve well but it was fast and light. I stopped windsurfing for several years due to schooling and such. When I semi got back into it it was like riding a bike everything came back instantly and it was like I never stopped. The last time I was out was in Maui in 2000. I rented a Naish freeride board and whatever was semi new at the time. Compared to my Protech it was like getting out of a Prius and stepping into a Ferrari. I was floored by how well the board carved and how fast it was. Fast forward 20 years. My son is now 17 and wants to learn how to windsurf. I can feel the fire igniting inside myself again and I am genuinely ecstatic to get out again and teach him to windsurf. The excitement of getting out with him like I did with my dad years ago is amazing.

On to my dilemma. I have NO idea what is out there for equipment and what is good or bad. When I was windsurfing the boards it seemed were just rated in length. Nowadays everything is in volume. From what I have read required board size as well as sail size have gotten smaller due to advancements in design. I am happy picking up some "older" equipment but I just don't know what I am looking for. For myself I am comfortable with anything. I have no doubt I could pick it back up instantly and would prefer a fairly short board with great maneuverability. I will likely not be doing any wave boarding though. I figure likely some bay stuff and maybe a jaunt out in the Juan de Fuca on occasion. My son is fairly light and tends to pick up board sports quickly. I would likely start him off on something around 9.5' with some volume. Focus would be mainly on beach starts slowly progressing to water starts. Would be looking for something to get him familiar quickly and also something small enough where he can have some fun with something that will last a while before he has to upgrade. We are going to see if we can fast track his training. Seeing as he is 17 I don't have much more time with him and want to attempt to get him up to speed (pun intended) as quickly as possible. Thanks everyone!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Call me, I’ll pm ya :idea: advice is free, you get what you pay for lol :lol:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

What does he weigh and what is your budget?
Bcarmena

Post by Bcarmena »

He weighs right around 130. As for budget, I would like to stay around $1000 for each set of board and rigging hopefully with a handful of sails. Not really sure what stuff is worth these days though.
Bcarmena

Post by Bcarmena »

That was a nice chat Kus! Thanks for the advice!
jim mckenzie

son

Post by jim mckenzie »

Chiming in because I've been 130 lbs. for some time now. I find a 6.5 is as big as I can manage so I'd suggest that as his first sail. Then a 5.8 or so for windier sessions. Likely you'll find a 6.5 and a standard diameter mast and a skinny for the 5.8. I like a cambered (2cams is plenty) 6.5 for low winds but not necessary. 5.8 wave sail. 5 years old is fine. First board; 100 -120 litre funboard. Wide style is easier to learn on. for windier days a 75-85 litre wave board is fine.
Bcarmena

Post by Bcarmena »

That seems to be the concensus. Now I just have to find the gear. Thanks!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Hmm i never said 6.5 is your first sail....suggest 5.3/5.0 wave with mylar if you can find it
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

~5.0 to start for sure. Many adults on the Island use that as a largest size.
Bcarmena

Post by Bcarmena »

I meant concensus more for the board size, not the sail size. That I will just base on conditions.
Bcarmena

Post by Bcarmena »

I meant concensus more for the board size, not the sail size. That I will just base on conditions.
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

give kite boarding a go!!
winddude

Post by winddude »

abetanzo wrote:give kite boarding a go!!

or if you want something else for when your knees hurt but want a challenge, I hear knitting is good.

@ 130lbs probably won't even need a 5.0, 4.0 and 4.7
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
CTK

Post by CTK »

I would also suggest learning kiteboarding. Especially for your son. A few days of lessons and he will be up and riding.
Not wanting to discourage windsurfing as there is a time and place for it. But overall kiteboarding is very versatile, not very gear heavy (in relation to windsurfing) and he can be having fun with a few days of lessons as it has a quick learning curve.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

I would actually recommend WingFoiling over kiteboarding or even windsurfing :shock: Less gear, less of a learning curve, less chance of sketchy launches or landings, no lessons required. Just be aware of the sharp foil.

Get him an old sup board and get a foil box put in. Buy a foil and a 4m wing. Ideally do some boat tows to get him used to the foil.

Actual wingfoilers can comment, but that's what I would do :) You can both learn together.