windsurf foil nose protection

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Windjunky
Website Donor
Website Donor

windsurf foil nose protection

Post by Windjunky »

Got out on the lake behind a boat with my fanatic gecko foil and managed after half hour or so to consistently get up on foil and ride around lake for as long as I wanted great way to learn the basic feeling of foiling with consistant speed etc. I then went out on Sunday only because the board was there with 7.5 meter and low wind 5- 10 knots and surprised myself how easily I got up on foil . Any way I've now got some small dings one of which I epoxied over just wondering if anyone has added nose protection or tried any of the units that go on mast base to keep mast from falling on nose. Any recommendations ? I assume shorter boards have less of these problems.
jim mckenzie

nose

Post by jim mckenzie »

My foiling experience has been almost identical to yours. I catapulted several times while sailing at first and damaged the nose a bit. Clear epoxy fixed it just fine. I find now, with more sessions, my falls are more controlled and damage is less likely so no pad for me. The boat is so much fun I'm making a smaller surf style board to use. Nice to chop up those old boards.
Windjunky
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Windjunky »

Any one tried surfbent or mast pads?
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

high density nose protectors can be applied, are super ugly and deface the board but mast pads don't do it, neither do boom pads.....if you get a good one, that nose is floating around the water or crack the whole nose. Avoidance is obviously best, if you know you are going, don't fight it, dislodge from straps and spin, going with the rig, you will spin around and get yanked but not nearly as bad...practice it, it's kinda the lead up to a forward loop if you will :lol:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Windjunky
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Windjunky »

Thanks Kus I will try that.. funny thing is I was going quite slow and not even hooked in . Probaby happened when foil came out of water and then slams nose down which I soon realized I could recover from hopefully just takes some practice . In the mean time I think ill try the surf bent or mast pad at least not as ugly as nose protector and when I improve I can just take it off.