thank goodness it was only gear that was destroyed

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
duckbill

thank goodness it was only gear that was destroyed

Post by duckbill »

pics from sunday
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (259.58 KiB) Viewed 6444 times
unnamed (1).jpg
unnamed (1).jpg (257.63 KiB) Viewed 6444 times
like a duck to water
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

David M sails hardcore :!: ….and as evidenced by these and the POW :idea: glad you are still with us, Dave :o
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
bwd
Developer
Developer

Summary

Post by bwd »

DavidM is a legend and the nicest guy you will ever meet. It is an honour to be his friend and I am so glad he didn't get hurt. Props to him for thinking fast :wink:
Kus: Can't wait for DavidM's log!! Hope you bought a lottery ticket bud! - Sunday July 19, 1:11PM

Scarlet: Did DM, my neighbour, have a lucky escape? - Sunday July 19, 2:25PM

Uddereef: Yes.very lucky.had the presence of mind to dive down below props. - Sunday July 19, 3:15PM

Scarlet: Holy Cats! - Sunday July 19, 3:32PM

Uddereef: David said good thing they were twin props,he dove between them. - Sunday July 19, 3:33PM

Scarlet: What an ugly experience - Sunday July 19, 4:16PM

Redbaron: Crazy! Glad you are ok DM. The pic of the rig says a lot. - Sunday July 19, 4:40PM

Grantmac: Those pictures are nightmare fuel! - Sunday July 19, 5:08PM

Bwd: Such a scary incident... glad you are okay David!! I have sail tape (this is not the time for bad jokes). - Sunday July 19, 5:22PM

Davidm: Thanks everyone. Still in disbelief I still have all my body parts. Last thought before the duck dive was will I get my legs deep enough! Scream the prop drive passing was scary and I was waiting for some pain or becoming fish feed. Fortunately I got deep enough and didn't pop up too soon.24 - 28' motor yacht at 15 to 20 knts directly overhead. - Sunday July 19, 5:37PM

Davidm: Only guessing it was a trim screw. - Sunday July 19, 5:40PM

Rvanderbyl: That's why I don't sail there anymore...Too risky. I don't understand how they ran you over. Waves too big? Didn't see you? Wtf! - Sunday July 19, 5:56PM

Grantmac: Anyone get the registration on the boat? Did they even stop? - Sunday July 19, 6:14PM

Winddude: yikes, glad you're alright! I hope that boater stopped, that's serious, and that driver shouldn't be boating anymore. - Sunday July 19, 6:38PM

Davidm: Boater stopped, pulled me in to where I swim in, offered to pay for my gear,. Called me later to see that I was ok. No hard feelings by me. Just happy to be here. - Sunday July 19, 7:24PM

Ajspencer: Wow.. amazing. Lucky it was you and not some small skiff with dad and daughter fishing or something. I guess they learned their lesson... Good job getting down far enough! - Sunday July 19, 7:39PM

Planitprofit: I was kiteboarding at Pipers Lagoon Sunday July 19, lost my unmarked white Ocean Rodeo twin tip board north of Hudson Rocks Ecological Reserve ... it may end on New Castle or Gabriola Island, possibly get picked up by a boat ... if it makes it through the ferry lanes ... here is to hope ... I sure miss Nitinat and all it has to offer ... - Sunday July 19, 8:21PM

Kus: You are the other story... - Sunday July 19, 8:29PM

Davidm: Kiters sort of part of my story too. Early on I sailed into a hole and couldn't water start for a while. There was swell so I might of been concealed for a bit at times. I was the only one out at the time as Mark (1st out had come in down wind as there was not sufficient wind for his sail size at the time. So no other windsurf traffic on the water other than me down in the water. The boater said he was watching for the kiters way down wind with kites down and didn't see me. No furnther discussion by me, move to forum topic please. - Sunday July 19, 8:44PM

http://www.bigwavedave.ca/gallery/displ ... ?pid=24840
http://www.bigwavedave.ca/gallery/displ ... ?pid=24839
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

In all the years kiting and surfing, I can't recall another story of someone successfully diving under a boat like this. Very scary. Especially with how buoyant neoprene is, diving down deep enough, big yikes. Glad you are ok.
JL

Post by JL »

Feel free to add this hazard to the 'wiki'. :twisted:
Thermals are good.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

juandesooka wrote:In all the years kiting and surfing, I can't recall another story of someone successfully diving under a boat like this. Very scary. Especially with how buoyant neoprene is, diving down deep enough, big yikes. Glad you are ok.
.... and from the sounds of it not exactly a small vessel where you only need to get a foot down! :shock:
Don't forget to bring a towel!
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

grantmac

Post by grantmac »

They aren't exactly puttering along are they?
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

That video makes me feel nauseous, the recklessness is off-the-scale.

If it had been a dead-head, they'd have holed the boat or tore the motor off, and the Coast Guard would have dealt with them. If David hadn't dove deep enough, we'd be talking about a group member in the past tense.

They stopped, apologized, helped out, did the right thing. Does that reasonably end it? Or do authorities need to be involved? Dunno. Feels like that driver is getting off pretty light for something this serious. They need to have some sleepless nights playing this over in their head, how close they came to killing someone. :x
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

At first blush I totally agree. But on the flipside its par for the course and the risk we take essentially swimming at times in traffic lanes. As DM said there was little on the water to indicate his presence and in a following sea your visibility is challenging at best. People do in fact hit dead heads all the time and people in this situation have no special rights or provisions of vision than that of a log. I'd say it's a stark reminder to those of us who have sailed the Columbia that we need to be aware of both vessels big and small even when we are at home spots with little traffic. If you're in the water a boat may have no idea they are bearing down on you.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
uddereef
Website Donor
Website Donor

At least it was only gear

Post by uddereef »

The bottom line is that couple were not paying attention.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: At least it was only gear

Post by juandesooka »

uddereef wrote:The bottom line is that couple were not paying attention.
And, ultimately, maybe just a few inches from criminal negligence causing death.

A swimmer bobbing along would be one thing, quite another to just not notice a big white and yellow board with a big blue sail attached, while ripping along in wind swells at 30mph. That's quite far from par for the course IMHO.
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

Ya I'd have to agree with JDS. It's called seamanship. Don't be going a speed that's going to drive a deadhead through a hull if you can't see that well.
Those kinds of waves needs someone on the throttle paying close attention.
Looks like they're really slamming into the waves. Landlubbers I reckon. ;)
Ya, I'd assume they're having some sleepless nights but who knows. Just so lucky DavidM is secretly a superhero.
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

Obviously Superman tights under that wetsuit.
duckbill

Post by duckbill »

i have been in the water and envisioned what it would be like if a boat didnt see me in the water, and if i could dive fast enough and deep enough to survive, David proved it can be done. Thanks Dave , i still don't want to test it though. I am truly thankful you came out unscathed. I always look forward to seeing you on the beach.
like a duck to water