Kite speed event

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy

Kite speed event

Post by SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy »

Hey all,

I want to try and get a speed event going up at Comox sometime this winter.

Any idea how we would go about doing that in terms of getting permits? Would we need to?

Any idea about how to measure speed from the land.

Kevin
Kevin

If your happiness depends on money, you will never be happy. Be content with what you have take joy in the way things are. When you realize you have all you need, the World belongs to you.
SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy

article

Post by SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy »

Kevin

If your happiness depends on money, you will never be happy. Be content with what you have take joy in the way things are. When you realize you have all you need, the World belongs to you.
GregK

Post by GregK »

New 500m speed record unofficially announced on FB - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

56.62 knots almost a full knot higher than Rob Douglas' previous record. 60's getting closer !!
Comox Kite Repair ( retired )
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

you'd probably need a radar gun from the po po...

is there enough length to get up to a good speed at the spit?
jhans

Post by jhans »

there must be a police officer that kites that could hook that up. I was wondering about the length as well. Does anyone know what the standard length is for the speed competitions?
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

500m from what I can find... and people are using GPSs' to take the speed... could do that!

GPS would need to be reset for each rider.. and we'd probably use the same one!
AC

"

Post by AC »

Sounds Dangerous
JY Kelly

Post by JY Kelly »

There's an iphone app called 'Speedometer" that will record distance and maximum speed to one decimal place.
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Guys, the Iphone app wont work at all, it is a very inaccurate app. The GPS, although better than the app, is not inaccurate enough. I thought of something, and before giving you my results I contacted those guys in the link above (the world fastest speed record guys). It turned out that what I thought would be the best to calculate the speed is the exact same of what they did. The only difference is that they have a well know mathematician to pinch out all these numbers($$$expensive$$$), as we only have a professor from Uvic but everything still should be fine.

Here is how to do it:

1: We insert 2 construction tie rod 6-7m in the water from shore,(supplied by CTK, thanks Wade by the way) and 6 construction tie rod on land (50m spacing between them).

2: Attach a Chronometer to the rod on land.

3: Attach a clear (invisible) sewing string from Rod # 1 in the water (starting point) to the chronometer which is attach to rod number 1 on land. When rider brake the string, the chrono starts.

4: Attach a long string from Rod # 2 in water that goes through rod #6,5,4,3,2 and 1 to stop the chrono when the rider brake it.

5: I get the timing, send it to the Uvic professor that Globe, Luke and Paul told me about (I really thought that you guys would have been able to do these calculations, but I guess finance and engineering math is nothing compare to distance and speed math). I send the timings to the Uvic professor, he does the math (for only $30 per calculation, I ll send him e-money but each rider need to pay me that $30 in advance) and we get the results within 1 or 2 minutes.

6: We re do the whole process for the next rider.

7: If possible, we need to know a couple of days in advance for the professor availability.

Also, I have a 2003 Wipika Airblast and a 2001 Naish AR5 to rent ($100 an hour) or to sell ($550) for people wanting to participate in this event. These kite might be old but they are the best for kite racing, you cant chickened out on these things, there is not much depower so you ll have to old your edge to the max, and you really dont want to use the safety release because there is none. These kites will push your limit to the max, making you go faster. Msg me quick if you want to buy these, kites are like cars, the old ones were build to last forever.

Here is a picture explaining the setup:
Attachments
Setup Race Comox
Setup Race Comox
Speed.jpg (449.04 KiB) Viewed 2683 times
Matthew.Schlatter

Post by Matthew.Schlatter »

If you have the time it takes and the distance then to find the speed use the equation "speed=distance/time". Just trying to save you all some money!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Matthew.Schlatter wrote:If you have the time it takes and the distance then to find the speed use the equation "speed=distance/time". Just trying to save you all some money!
:lol: well, shit, that's just plain brilliant 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

hey don't you guys have enough strings to keep track of?! :lol:
JL

Post by JL »

@ Nitwit lake we used a speed gun like the Police use ~ 20 years ago :P
Thermals are good.
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

downwind dave wrote:hey don't you guys have enough strings to keep track of?! :lol:
Nope..that's why we're called String Monkeys
these are not the pumps you are looking for....