Kiteboarding gear on airline flights

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
raztec

Kiteboarding gear on airline flights

Post by raztec »

Hi guys

This is probably a dumb question, but how do you guys transport a big 142cm OR Origin board on a flight to Baja.

I'm planning on heading down there for Jan and wondering how I can get all my luggage on the plane: 2 kites, board, harness etc. + other gear.

Thx
A
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Standard baggage policy is that you pay extra if a bag is more than 50lbs or oversize. Airline policies vary in their policies: most give an exclusion for oversize golf clubs, virtually all charge extra for surfboards, and then kite gear falls somehwere in between. Sometimes it's a specified exclusion, but most times it's left up to the discretion of the counter person. So be nice and smile and you may get away without fees.

For a 140-150cm board, you can fit it into a "golf style" kite bag like NSI Deceiver or equivalent. I can fit 140 mako plus 2 kites, harness, pump, wetsuit in at just under 50lbs. If you find one without wheels, you save another 5lbs for gear. Make sure it's wide enough to fit origin though, as that's a wide board.

The goal is to have the check in person think its golf (clearly excluded). Most times they just waive you through, no worries. But if they ask, the response is "yes, it's a golf bag" ... that way you haven't lied directly. Some people report including golf club and ball, so they can say "yes it's golf gear and some other stuff". And never use the phrase "kiteSURFING", it's kiteboarding, the S word will get you fees. ;-)
raztec

Post by raztec »

Thanks for the advice. Got the ION gear 2/4 golf bag and it fits all my gear with room to spare.

Alaska Airlines seems to allow water sports boards of all types without exhorbitant extra fees even if the bag is oversized.

Last question: how do you guys pack your bags so that things like the chicken loop doesn't get mangled? I've taken the fins off my board but not sure if anything else should be detached or protected when packed in checked baggage.

Thx
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

raztec wrote: Last question: how do you guys pack your bags so that things like the chicken loop doesn't get mangled? I've taken the fins off my board but not sure if anything else should be detached or protected when packed in checked baggage.

Thx
Youtube that one. Lots of packing vids there.
Poultry in motion