Good setup for a newbie???

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

It is similar to the setup I started with, so, yes ( assuming good shape of kite and lines).

And also assuming you have had some good lessons, otherwise it is a good setup to get wrapped around a tree with or launched into a stump!
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

SO long as the kite isn't crispy with UV or the bladders so full of pinholes that the kite is half deflated after a half-hour, it looks like a great deal. Quick test, pump up to pressure, seal off struts, wait 10 or 15 minutes, open strut seal clips, if you can hear a little puff, then there is a leak somewhere. Might not be serious anyway even if its a slow leak, might be easy to fix.

I'll add to advice to take lessons if you haven't, so you don't end up hurting yourself or others. It will cost as much as the kite, but hey.
expeditionbc

Post by expeditionbc »

thanks for the advice.
I inflated the kite and left in the garage all afternoon and all looking good!!
So i have officially joined the ranks as a kook.

I have taken 2 days of lessons while in Cancun (1 day beach flying and 1 day body dragging). I tried to contact Strong but it seems they may be closed for the season. Does anyone do local lessons over the winter months??
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

I am an intermediate kiter - there are others who are more experienced, so my be braver than me.

I would not consider trying to kite in in the winter here with the conditions we have, unless you are very proficient.

The kite schools are all closed for the winter (and relocated to the Baja). If you can get to Laventana you will find them, and the best winter conditions.

In the meantime .... watch youtube videos, do crosstraining and wait for the schools to open at Nitinat in May.
Digital427

Lessons

Post by Digital427 »

I'm looking at my crystal ball ..... and .... i see a trip to Baja in your future!
expeditionbc

Post by expeditionbc »

haha...mind reader
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

You won't regret it .. warm, sandy beach - when / if you get washed downwind, you just walk back up the beach after the self rescue.