Kite self rescue

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
TonyT1000
Website Donor
Website Donor

Kite self rescue

Post by TonyT1000 »

For those that might need a refresher (!) here is an excellent vid summarizing key steps for self rescue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze0a24YKN6I

Especially the last part about being able to create a sail with the kite.

Being able to do this efficiently creates less hassle/concern on shore and is less disruptive to those of us who are paddling or sailing downwind of Clover Point.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Kite self rescue

Post by KUS »

TonyT1000 wrote:...Especially the last part about being able to create a sail with the kite.
Being able to do this efficiently creates less hassle/concern on shore and is less disruptive to those of us who are paddling or sailing downwind of Clover Point.
anyone kiting at cook, never mind Klover (both at least! intermediate spots) should be WELL beyond this learning marker...i think i learned this hour 1? But yeah, good refresher and decent vid
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Thanks for that Tony it's good to review. I have never
Managed one without getting at least one loose wrap around a leg I couldnt release till the beach. I'll have to concentrate on keeping the loose stuff all on one side like the video shows.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Getting wrapped up lines is potentially life-threatening, and is quite avoidable by staying upwind and wrapping the lines before they have any slack. Good to practice this in shallow water in a non-emergency situation. Get it dialed before it's a problem.

I was part of the TeeKay trainer kite learning regimen, which most kiters say is a waste of time, but I think presents a safe and comprehensive way to learn to kite, if you're willing to take your time and slow down the process. I had practiced self rescues a half dozen times with the 2m kite and full size bar before I ever used a full size kite.....exact same process, just easy and no danger.

The other thing is learning to kite post-lessons in a spot with no rescue....you learn to be efficient in self-rescuing once you've done it a bunch of days in a row. Interesting to talk to the squamish rescue folks about the attitude there, you've paid your fee, expect the rescue service, there's no need to learn to be self-reliant. Is it similar at Nitinat? No jetski at Gordons. :-)
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

The kelp at G IS a problem for this...pretty easy to swim away from drifting lines normally. I've done a few self rescues and have actually managed to go upwind a little doing the drag flying the wing
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
CTK

Post by CTK »

john...Have you never been to Nat?
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
JEmerson

Post by JEmerson »

Glad I could give a demonstration! Surprisingly hard to travel downwind. Any tips on that?
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

If you couldn't make it downwind it's probably because there was a ton of current the other way. Only option then is to try and dump it on the leading edge for a bit and hope that gives you a bit more ommmph, then alternate that position and the one in the picture to get back to shore. Normally you have the other problem.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
JEmerson

Post by JEmerson »

I actually did try that twice. It would either roll over, could maybe hold the center strut. I have used my board as a rudder between my legs to help drive up wind and gained lots of ground that way.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

JEmerson wrote:I actually did try that twice. It would either roll over, could maybe hold the center strut. I have used my board as a rudder between my legs to help drive up wind and gained lots of ground that way.
Looked like you were doing fine. Goal isn't to get downwind, it's to get to shore anywhere as quickly and safely as possible, without wrecking any gear! As nanmoo says, normally the problem is long the long shame-walk back upwind, so consider yourself lucky. 8)

By the way: if you haven't already, a kite leash on the back of your harness can be used to clip onto your board, so that you have free hands to deal with kite. Less risk of getting separated from your board if chaos happens.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

JDS do you have the spare leash attached to a back ring and dangling permanently, or do you keep it in a pouch or clipped on but wrapped around your waist to keep it out of the way till you have to swim?
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

more force 4 wrote:JDS do you have the spare leash attached to a back ring and dangling permanently, or do you keep it in a pouch or clipped on but wrapped around your waist to keep it out of the way till you have to swim?
Permanently attached and dangling ... seems to be a standard feature of the local crew, probably because of how common self-rescue is in these fickle wind spots.

Another tip: if you go this route, attach the part of the leash with the quick-release to your harness loop, then attach the other end to the top of that quick release. You want to clip that other end to your board and have the quick release on your harness....for the reason that in the worst case scenario, where something goes terribly wrong, you need to be able to release.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I don't like extra lines hanging off me but can appreciate the idea so instead I just use my bar leash to do the same. Once you are wrapping lines its in the way anyways so I just un-clip it and then use it as John describes.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

JEmerson wrote:I actually did try that twice. It would either roll over, could maybe hold the center strut. I have used my board as a rudder between my legs to help drive up wind and gained lots of ground that way.
Try Hooking the front bridle lines into your hook, lie on your back and throw your feet up on the leading edge. If that doesn't work then you are more special than I thought. Don't do this if it's nuking obviously.