Cook St "Thieves" on the lookout

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Teabag

Cook St "Thieves" on the lookout

Post by Teabag »

I might be wrong on this, but I think that there are homeless people looking to score value items / are on the look out at cook st.

-If you are by yourself kiting at cook st, maybe just bring 1 kite and 1 board, and do not leave your car keys in your kite bag (keys might be safer on top, just be discreet wherever you hide them, because if they see where you hide your car keys, well, good bye value items in your car) Unless there is a bunch of kiters kiting already, then all good.

Long story short:

- 1100-1245: Suspicious man hanging out on the beach asking me "when I go out on the water" (with fake enthusiasm/interest towards watching the sport) Wanted to go kiting, but had strong impression he would have checked my bags once on the water, so I kept beach clean up/raking and telling him there is not enough wind. (but it was cranking and I was itching to go, from 1220 anyway)

- 1255-1320: 3 kiters on the water, I stayed on beach because a different "suspicious man" is now sitting near our gear, and also asked me when I am going out. Fake enthusiasm / small comments/interest about the sport and taking pictures (would not be surprise if his phone was a plastic demo phone, i.e not a real one or functioning one). The way he was holding his phone to "take pictures of kiters" was just so f### fake.

- 1320-1340: This 2nd suspicious guy leave after seeing I was not going on the water to join the others. I think he knew the non verbal communication, that I knew he wanted to steal our stuff. Marty and Jill arrive, I told them about a suspicious man, Marty says:
- Is it these guys?
- I look down the beach (I thought he was gone), and yes, the 2nd suspicious guy was now with a 3rd one (different from the 1st one at 1100-1300. Cant say for sure they were homeless, but sure looked like it)
More kiters showed up with their friends which meant our gear was safe. So finally went on the water.

Maybe we will see this happening more often due to the shutdown of the stolen bike business shop in beacon hill park. It would make sense that they are looking into new ways to make money.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=beacon+hill+p ... 5-1&ia=web

If they were "on the look out", hopefully they received a strong message from yesterday, that it will be hard to steal from us.

Just be careful.

And if they were not homeless people on the lookout for shinny items, well that makes me a paranoiac, judgemental asshole, sorry about that. If this is the case, instant karma paid his due: I missed a good hour and half of strong wind because of it! :) :) :)
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

yup, they used to watch us hiding our keys from the bushes up top.... :evil: had to relocate my vehicle once cuz I was sure one guy saw me hide the key, picked another spot later....grrrr
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

kinda surprised stuff doesn't get stolen more often down there.

watching you hide your key for the rental car is a classic in hawaii and mexico. There's really only a few standard hiding spots, easy pickings.

I have a combo key safe that attaches to the trailer hitch pin. One of these realtor lockboxes would work too.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B085PVGJVG/ref ... s9dHJ1ZQ==
TonyT1000
Website Donor
Website Donor

Good to know

Post by TonyT1000 »

Good to get an update on this. Thanks. Might be something that the increasingly popular RBFC crew may need to pay attention to. I have taken to leaving my board bag, car keys, etc on the beach while on the water. May need to reevaluate that.
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

IMO no need to worry at all if there is already 1 or 2 kiter on the water. Especially on week end or after work week days.

Yesterday there was 2 group of women sun bathing near launch area. If there was not another kiter present I would have asked them if they stay longer, and explaining the situation. (if they stay for an hour or two and can make sure no stranger check your stuff you know you are safe because they ll make sure nobody check your bag). A lot more honest people out there.

Might do San De Fuca trick with the padlock thing, very good idea.
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

From Johns post on the BWD Message Board, Thr. July 23, from the description of where it was found sounds like it was stolen and stashed, check your gear people are you missing a kite?

"Juandesooka: Core 7m kite found in the bushes at cook st... "
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1798951 ... 837195889/
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);
Wings:Duotone v2 Unit 4.0, 5.5m; v3 Unit 3.0
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu