9%

Total votes: 22

bwd
Developer
Developer

BWD v2.0

Post by bwd »

Here's something we've been working on: https://windisgood.com/

Two years in the making and the first major update since the site launched in 2002! There are a lot of changes, and yes I hate change too, but hopefully you will like it once you get used to it. Don't worry, it still has the same cheesy graphics and confusing navigation and... I hope you like blue.

I wanted people to check things out first before I make it live.

Known issues:
  • - login issues (you likely won't stay logged in)
    - forum search broken
    - activities need to be changed over windsurf-> wing, windsurf->windfoil
Make sure that you login to see all of the available features. Note: this is a beta/test version of the site, so anything posted in the forum and sailing log will be lost when the final sync is done with bigwavedave.ca. You can post sailing logs etc., just make sure you also post them on bigwavedave.ca for now as well. GPS tracks can be posted and will not be deleted.

Many, many thanks to the following for the 100's of hours spent on the new site:

RainX (aka Marc) for the work spent on updating the sailing log to work with the new forum

Tweezer (aka Mark) for the awesome GPS track stats, sailing guide and many of the plots

Keen (aka Anthony) for the amazing Wind Alerts and Wind Map

Here is a list of some of the new features:
  • - see current wind conditions, comments, forum posts, sailing logs on the side bar on each page. Move the modules around on a desktop.
    - post comments on each page.
    - upload GPS Tracks and view track stats (top speed, number of turns etc), Top Ten challenge.
    - subscribe to post notifications (sailing logs, forum posts, comments).
    - subscribe to Wind Alerts!
    - updated wind stats and wind archive.
    - many extra sailing log stats.
    - extra sports added to the Sailing Log (finally).
    - new 'Quick Look' model plots with current condition trend.
    - new Sailing Guide (formerly the 'Wiki') with sailing spots, webcams, weather stations and overlays.
    new full site search.
    - new 'Quick' Private Message system with better notifications, in addition to the forum PMs.
    - users can post articles - weather, tips, gear reviews, travel blogs etc.
Comments and suggestions are encouraged.
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

I, for one, like change. And I think it is very well done. Good job everyone.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Good job y'all!

I really like the main page: more push notifications, "at a glance" for the key things most people are looking for.

Looks like a bunch of new toys to get used to (GPS tracks) and some stuff to push friendly competition. Winging added to logs <gasp>

One small thing that may be me-specific but I bring up in case a larger issue: my login doesn't work on new site. I also tried logging in to regular page to make sure I have password right.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Thanks for the comments...Well the new site crashed already...damn. Glad I didn't switch it over live.
themorb

Post by themorb »

Looks great but I also cannot log in. One suggestion -- I preferred the arrows with different lengths on the wind maps instead of the new Beaufort scale thingies. They seem a bit hard to interpret at quick glance.

Love the quick look forecast!

In the spirit of equality, if you are splitting wind surfing and wind foiling, you could add a category for kite foiling...? What about wing-schlogging with a centreboard? The combinations are endless...
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

kite foiling is there as an activity, just no logs with that selected.
windsurf
kite
windfoil
kitefoil
wing

The wind vanes do take some getting used to.

I need to look into why the site is crashing. Hoping it will be < 2 more years to resolve. Argh.
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

I'd like to change my vote to the Tweezer option.
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

I like it, I'll just wait for the switch (plus I'm at sea anyway).
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

WINGING added to logs! I am shocked, just shocked. Did this get approved by Nanmoo? Does WINGING really have a future?? ...still shocked :lol:
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);6'6 BP(116lt);
Wings:Duotone v2 Unit 4.0, 5.5m; v3 Unit 3.0
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

UnusuallyLargeRobin wrote:WINGING added to logs! I am shocked, just shocked. Did this get approved by Nanmoo? Does WINGING really have a future?? ...still shocked :lol:
Why am I being picked on? I don't think I've said anything of the sort.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

nanmoo wrote:
UnusuallyLargeRobin wrote:WINGING added to logs! I am shocked, just shocked. Did this get approved by Nanmoo? Does WINGING really have a future?? ...still shocked :lol:
Why am I being picked on? I don't think I've said anything of the sort.
Ohh Moo, was just a short year ago :P :D http://www.bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?&p=52841 "It's an alternative but I really doubt it will stand as a sport on it's own for people who don't already Kite or WS. My guess is unlike BMX/Skateboard/Rollerblade you won't see a third tribe at the Liquid skatepark."

....it's okay we know you've joined the club! :wink:
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);6'6 BP(116lt);
Wings:Duotone v2 Unit 4.0, 5.5m; v3 Unit 3.0
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu
TonyT1000
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by TonyT1000 »

Exciting stuff Dave - looks good. Honestly I have no idea how to vote but I go for the Tweezer option too.
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

I like it a lot. Will take some time to figure out where to find particular forums etc. I don't mind the wind indicators too much, I'm used to them from Canadian and US government weather apps.You can read the speed to the nearest 5 knots directly; the old graduated arrows you had to hover over to get an actual number. They do take up less screen room but it was always visually striking to see an arrow crossing the whole screen during storms. The flowing wind animation you get on Windy I like even better but I'm sure not easily available.

Bugs: on my system (Microsoft Edge browser) the 24 hour graphs wont scroll so I can't see Trial Island, for instance. I tried every way I could think of to get the window to stay open while I tried to scroll.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I stand by that statement. 90% of the people doing it already WSurf or Kite. It will persist as another option, just like adding a foil to your Wsurf or Kite board does.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
Keen
Developer
Developer

Post by Keen »

Mf4 are you using the newer Chromium based Edge or the old one?
I tried on my system (new Edge) and it was ok but I used the mouse wheel to move the window down but keeping the mouse over the menu as I did so.
more force 4 wrote:I like it a lot. Will take some time to figure out where to find particular forums etc. I don't mind the wind indicators too much, I'm used to them from Canadian and US government weather apps.You can read the speed to the nearest 5 knots directly; the old graduated arrows you had to hover over to get an actual number. They do take up less screen room but it was always visually striking to see an arrow crossing the whole screen during storms. The flowing wind animation you get on Windy I like even better but I'm sure not easily available.

Bugs: on my system (Microsoft Edge browser) the 24 hour graphs wont scroll so I can't see Trial Island, for instance. I tried every way I could think of to get the window to stay open while I tried to scroll.