Spare webcam-where should it go?

What's new on the website
bwd
Developer
Developer

Spare webcam-where should it go?

Post by bwd »

I have a spare webcam sitting at home with a fixed lens (no zoom). It was ordered by mistake when I got the Pipers webcam. It's a bit of a waste to not use it so I'm open to suggestions if someone has any ideas. I'm a bit stretched out for money, so hopefully we can find a place for it that doesn't need their entire monthly internet paid for. Some suggestions are:

- Comox Spit
- another Cook street view
- San Pareil (Nanoose)

Here's a view we could have from someone I know in a condo near Dallas Road. I'm not sure how useful it would be, unless it was a streaming video camera, which it's not:

I'm open to suggestions. Hopefully we can find a place that requires minimal work and cost to me. Oh and Nitinaht is not an option unfortunately.
thanks
dave
Last edited by bwd on Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Cordova for the winter NE? 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

If there is interest from others, I can ask some family friends on Sebastian Rd. in Lantzville (on the waterfront). Post here or PM me if you think this is a worthy location (best in NW winds), and you'd like me to inquire about locating a webcam there.

I have no photos, but this is the point about 1km west of Myron Rd. http://www.bigwavedave.ca/wiki/index.php/Myron_Road

From my informal poll last June, it seemed that Comox Spit was the next most popular location for a webcam...http://www.bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2570...anyone know of a potential host there?
G-Daddy

Webcam at Spit

Post by G-Daddy »

My mother-in-law lives above the spit.... not in the houses immediately above but over on the other side of the road (the end of Stafford Rd.).

Very good view of the whole area from her deck. She may be willing to have a webcam mounted, depending on what would be involved. I can send a photo of the view if you are interested.
windsurf247

camera

Post by windsurf247 »

How bout the Point Roberts customs station so we can watch Kus getting worked :shock:
Is there a possibilty of another IV location?? Perhaps a bit closer? Trailer Cam?? :lol:
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

How about Jordan River, that world class surf location about to be no more! Maybe we should draw attention to it instead of trying to pretend it doesn't exist in hopes that no one will ever want to go there (or save it!). Ya right. :twisted:
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);
Wings:Duotone v2 Unit 4.0, 5.5m; v3 Unit 3.0
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu
jeamer

Post by jeamer »

I second, third, ...... etc a Cordova Bay cam! I would do the door to door if we don't know anyone on the bay. There is a restaurant that would probably love to promo their buisiness, much like the Cow bay pub. I think there's a sevvy type convenience store as well.

Cam would be good for better judgement of SE swells (no I'm not being selfish at all :) ) as the cam at IV's large distance away makes it difficult to accurately tell the size.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I believe Grant Mac has an aunt living on the beach there?? 8)

A much underrated place for N, NE and SE in winter, in summer we could move it to Pat Bay? or some such summer place :P
Wish less, sail more!!

colin

Post by colin »

beacon hill cam, i have wanted one on that flag for a while
kite+waves=!
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

I know I'm biased toward San Pareil because I live here, but it sure would be nice to not have to walk ( half a block ) all the way to the beach every time I need an update on the conditions. Last time I asked the owner of the waterfront house if we could put a cam there, she said yes. High speed is there already! Could be good for NW and SE. If running a cable to a tree is an option the cam could be right next to the water. It's nice to have all the cams but unless there going to be next to the water you may as well just look at latest reports, know what I mean?????
Why aren't YOU out there?
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

We tend to kite San Pareil (south end of Parksville, not quite Nanoose) in Summer for Southeast, and very rarely NW. Summer NW is really Lantzville to Nanaimo. I've seen nice waves there when NW does hit but it usually only lasts an hour or two.
Signature Block.
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

Was that a yes for the cam in San Pareil or were you just trying to correct me Mattdog. For the record I've had many excellent NW days at this spot and when it's good the swell can be 4' to 6', but you do need to be quick on the draw to sail that wind here. The summer NW does get stronger progressively towards Nanaimo, but not always. On another note, if there is a westerly, which happens quite often in spring to the end of summer, San Pareil offers pretty much the only launch in the area for that wind direction at the northern most beach access.
Why aren't YOU out there?
Barb W

extra cam

Post by Barb W »

I think either san pariel or sebastion rd would be great.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

well, I figure the best places for cams are where you cannot really tell what is going on given the local wind readings. Kook is one such place as is Island view. That's why I suggested Cordova.
Can you not get a sense of SPareil or Sebastian from the CB cam or Entrance/Sisters/Ballenas? :?:
Anyway, I suppose in fairness and since Comox Spit won the last survey, maybe it should go there. Bit of a drive for Dave tho :? :P
Last edited by KUS on Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wish less, sail more!!

Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

San Pareil is actually a pretty decent point break on a strong NW - rare for the Island. But only three or four people would benefit from a web cam. The NW wind is just way too fleeting there.
Signature Block.