Spare webcam-where should it go?

What's new on the website
eastside

Post by eastside »

I know somebody who has a house in the exact area,just above 1000 steps. Great view both south and north. It could be aimed to the Winchelseas. Would be a similar view as the one from Pipers webcam in terms of elevation and distance from the beach. He already has cable and probably wouldn't want that paid for. This would also mean that I on a good low tide day 1000 steps would be an option for those in need of a cardio(cardiac) workout.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Some good suggestions, thanks.
eastside wrote:I know somebody who has a house in the exact area,just above 1000 steps. Great view both south and north...
Could I get a digital photo of the view? The only problem with wide angle is seeing any detail like whitecaps on the water since everything is so small.

I'm still undecided on where to put the spare webcam, but not using it is kind of a waste. I'm going to check out the view at an apartment on the 19th floor near Beacon Hill Park and might set it up there temporarily. At least we will see something, and it won't cost us anything. We can think about where it should go permanently over the next couple of months.
bwd
Developer
Developer

New view for the Cookcam #2

Post by bwd »

On Saturday I put the Cook cam#2 in an outdoor enclosure. It is now on the porch at a condo looking at the Ogden Point Breakwater, so no more view of the flag. I seemed to get more positive comments on the Ogden Point view compared to the Beacon Hill flag view. I thought the view of the flag was mostly useless. So we can try the Ogden Point view for now. This is still a temporary location anyway, but I expect it will be there for the winter at least.

Thanks to Ari Rocklin for hosting the webcam!
Dave
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
Doppelganger

Spit bias

Post by Doppelganger »

I'm in Comox and would vote for the spit (if we're still voting). There's often a variance between Lazo and Comox winds and it would be useful to see the water. Would be willing to help too if needed.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Sure we are still voting. I'm always interested in looking into future webcam sites. The best way to help is to find a place to put the webcam (with power and internet and a willing host) and then send me a photo of the view :wink:

Also, isn't the Spit flatwater - wouldn't it be kind of hard to read from a webcam picture?

The Ogden Point webcam isn't permanent and we can always move it, but I kind of like the view.

Dave
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
colin

Post by colin »

BK has a house close to Agate Beach. I have never been there myself but I am pretty sure it is on the water...?
kite+waves=!
SMACK

Web cam...Goose Spit

Post by SMACK »

Globe Trotter's family has the best view of the spit on the planet!
Waddaya say Todd?
Chase the day, not the dollar.
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

I'll try to check out sites for Nile Creek.
Signature Block.
Johnnyman

Post by Johnnyman »

My vote would be for the ogden location, at least for now. Like to see it on a windy day and how it compares to cook. It also looks like the new ogden cam doesn't get the afternoon sun glare like cook. My 2 cents.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Can you sail out at odgen? I can visualize some crazy wall rides on the breakwater...!
Don't forget to bring a towel!
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

Some of us sailed there a few times in the early eighties before we started using Cook St. You can do it, but be ready for some awful chop from waves reflected off of the wall along the shore. The small beach at the far east end where the park starts is sailable if the tide isn't too high.
I like the new cam location btw Dave.
My other hobby is channel surfing
oldseadog

Salmon Point

Post by oldseadog »

As the upper island windsport community has been growing a great location that has been very good wind indicator north of Cape Lazo is Salmon Point. I have been testing various spots with various wind directions and Salmon point has proved reliable in NW,NE.E & SE. I have thought of approaching the Salmon Point PuB & Rv Park owner for some time now but was not sure this idea would be supported by BWD voting group. The area has a steel light tower but also the Pub roof top would be ideal. Would anyone else find the information from this site useful.
Thanks Craig
Globe

Post by Globe »

Hey Smack -
yeah I don't think that would be a problem - two options I would say:

1. mount it in the office facing the straits (which might be a better wind indicator than looking down on the flat water)

2. mount it outside facing in either direction - which would probably be a better vantage point as well.

I don't think they'd want it in their living room... I have that feeling..

this video gives an idea of the options.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YS6lgVYe8k
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

My vote is for Jordan River/Muir Creek if it is possible...

This location is much more unique than the cameras that are already up and running.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Salmon Point

Post by KUS »

oldseadog wrote:As the upper island windsport community has been growing a great location that has been very good wind indicator north of Cape Lazo is Salmon Point. I have been testing various spots with various wind directions and Salmon point has proved reliable in NW,NE.E & SE. I have thought of approaching the Salmon Point PuB & Rv Park owner for some time now but was not sure this idea would be supported by BWD voting group.
Craig- I have sailed there and concur that place ROCKS, the pub and hot tub right there with front row beach camping available in the winter.....worthy of a trip for a few days, if no wind then go skiing.....I think I must do this one shortly :twisted: http://www.salmonpoint.com/index.html
Nope for Muir, there will be violence. Cordova Bay has my vote tho :idea:
Last edited by KUS on Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.