Potential sponsor

What's new on the website
bwd
Developer
Developer

Potential sponsor

Post by bwd »

So Sooke Harbour Resort & Marina are interested in sponsoring the Gordon's Beach webcam. They are also interested in running a contest/fundraiser where you could win a 2-night discovery experience getaway at their resort. They would give away one trip every week for a four week period.

Does anyone think this is a good idea or have any problems with this? Thanks for the input, it's just the first real non-sailing sponsor and I'm wondering if that's the direction we want to go... Also timing wise I guess it might be good to wait a few months before another fundraiser?
thanks
Dave
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
GWIND

sponsors

Post by GWIND »

Reel them in Dave, sponsors are good. Tourism business sound like a great fit to me. GW
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Perfect time of year to attract people to that kind of prize. A weekend away in the fall, winter is probably less appealing.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
duckbill

sponsor/fundraiser/contest

Post by duckbill »

no problem running ongoing contest/ fundraisers, just don't let things get too complicated.......keep it simple.
like a duck to water
Martin

Post by Martin »

Hi bwd,

Don't see a downside.
They probably have quite a few sportfisher(s)(man)(persons) as their customers. So the water/weather connection is there.
Sponsers are good!

m
eastside

Post by eastside »

The fishing connection is a natural. Maybe some of them will donate some money too.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

also - this time of year the site probably sees the most visitors, and thus, potentional donators for a big prize like that.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

Maybe good - but be careful of expectations, if they have some sense of value for their donation and the fundraisers do not match, what's the downside, and is it a sponsored webcam (as in paid on an ongoing basis including thru the winter) or is their sponsorship based on giving the 4 getaway experiences. Good opportunity, you just don't want unreasoable expectations to get someone tweaked. Will they expect you to market their place actively?
We windsurf - life must be good!
JL

Post by JL »

Seems to me the Comox & Cow. Bay cams are sponsored by outside interests with no problems ... Whatever works best for you Dave . 8)
Thermals are good.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Go for it!
Its all about the adventure and stoke!
Wavos Rancheros

Post by Wavos Rancheros »

I think Dave might be suggesting that it would bring non-sailing traffic to the web site in a way that might require some changes to keep them interested in between all the sailing chat and posts, and this could change the feel for all the regulars....or am I reaching here Dave?
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I know it's ultimately my choice, but I wanted to get some opinions since this is turning into more of a community website (a good thing!). I should have clarified that all they want to do is put a small logo on the Gordons webcam pages for a monthly fee and also, maybe, hold a fundraiser/giveaway. There has been no talk of a new webcam, and if there was I would make sure they paid for it (like the CowBay webcam).
Wavos Rancheros wrote:I think Dave might be suggesting that it would bring non-sailing traffic to the web site in a way that might require some changes to keep them interested in between all the sailing chat and posts, and this could change the feel for all the regulars....or am I reaching here Dave?
Yes that was the main reason that I posted the question. The logo on the webcam page is no big deal but the fundraiser would be more involved and actively promoting their resort and perhaps bringing in more non-sailing traffic. I'm still not sure about the fundraiser part.

I am going to meet with them this weekend so I'll let you know how it turns out.

thanks
Dave
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
downwind dave

Post by downwind dave »

it might be refreshing to get some forum discussion going about scones, wine or bedsheet thread counts. :twisted:
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

once you have this feedback from them I do believe a committee retreat is in order to further discuss and belabor the merits of or potential consequences resulting from adopting a regular sponsor of this type.

I propose a meeting of the grandma candle order be convened on the eve of June 28 at the Siuslaw River Sunflyer Conference Center at 8p.m. Chants and coveralls optional. A Pabst Blue Ribbon shall be sacrificed to the windgods. :!: