This Year: 10

Friday September 30, 2022 Pipers Lgn, Windsurfing
     Friday September 30, 2022 Conditions TOW Toys Used:
     Pipers Lgn, Windsurfing NW 8 - 18
    Light 1ft swell
    1.50 hours Roberts 27" Race Flapper tail 27" x 9'4
    Sailworks NX2 8.2
    Fins 60 to Choose
    Sailed from 4 - 5:30PM New board, new fin, oversized sail ( for shortboarding) and all sailed tuned marginally. Such is Pipers Beachfront with its Westerly Gusts and North Wind Shadow. Returns to the beach on shortboards are unattractive so I just sail gear as it is and enjoyed sun and puffs in my short legged streamer suit. South end of Pipers was more consitently whitecappung & Hammond Bay looked steadier overall.

There was steady planing conditions on the outside if you wanted it. The back eddy current ( on a flood tide) at the reef light didn't help the inside wind but help make for flat water on the inside.

Always love sailing and hanging at Pipers regardless of conditions. Its a No Ka Oi place in Hawaii speak. Just like Pipers Pale Ale back in the 90s.

Wind Finder Backgrounder...........................................

============================================

N. Nanaimo started getting gusty at noon, quite as predicted for Pipers. I arrived at Wheatcroft Park to whitecapped conditions in most of Hammond Bay but didn't rig there despite being noticeably better than what i expected at Pipers beach.

M1 & M2 Forecasts were somewhat elusive ( if you are whitecap chasing) with 10 & 15 knot breezes trading places or out of phase with actuals. The 10am M2 forecast run for Fri ( a nowcast actually) missed the mark.

Summertime ( and drought time) there is a big local component and diaurnalism to the winds at Pipers. Our forecasts tend to miss it , seemly since Entrance Island is the model major feedstock dataset . ( And Belenas lesser so. ) In general I feel we ( and EC as firecasters) are short reliable clear air shoreside feedstock data for forecasting models for mid east island. Localized forecast interpretation and observation seems critical to making a good day of whitecap wind chasing in the mid isle area.

A drag race or day outing to Sechelt or Lasqueti always looks tempting on a summer sun breeze from Pipers. And always a return to channel crossing attempts & our BC Championships if I go way way back to fun & challenging athletic times Windsurfing.
    Propelled by Russian Dood aka Andrey Vozhakin ©2004-