Mexico mandatory rental car insurance

A place to discuss anything non-weather and non-wind/kitesurf related. Generally unmoderated, but rules are enforced on occasion => you can get suspended or kicked out and messages can get deleted.
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Mexico mandatory rental car insurance

Post by tempy »

Does anyone have a resource / website / other option to buy the mandatory Mexico rental car insurance ahead of time for less than the US$ 25 they charge you when you rent the car?

I have insurance for everything else except the mandated insurance they ding you with when you pick up the car and that costs as much as the car rental.

Thanks

Stephen
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

My understanding is you're stuck either buying it or dropping an insane deposit of near what the car is worth. You can provide the CDW portion which your CC will cover (but it's the rental companies option to charge said deposit if you go this route) but for sure you're in for 3rd party.

Contrast this with Peru where I rented a car for 20 days for less than $200 CAD all in. Mexico is BYOC.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

Yeah, I know, but I heard you could buy it cheaper online ahead of time, but have had trouble figuring that out. That is where the money for your kite is going!!