Foil Placement relative to feet placement

General discussions about wingfoiling: equipment, tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, pump safety.
Windjunky

Foil Placement relative to feet placement

Post by Windjunky »

Just got a new board and wondering about setup. My old board the foil was all the way to the back and rear foot strap was all the way forward. This board is a bit smaller(same brand board)but rear strap is possible to move further forward. So my question is do you guys think if you have the adjustability would you want foil mast as far forward as possible to reduce swing weight . I've never had any adjustabilty before now. I know I'll have to play with it and figure out what feels best but if you have the option of moving foil relative to feet placement wondering what you guys think.
smartang

Re: Foil Placement relative to feet placement

Post by smartang »

Are you using the same foil? If your old foil was all the way back and still able to provide enough lift for you to stand where you wanted (not awkwardly toward the back of the board), then the same foil on a smaller board will have too much lift. Consider a smaller stabilizer.

#1 rule of foil placement - figure out where your front foot needs to be for optimal takeoff. I build all my boards around this point. Place the foil where it will counter balance your front foot under full load, with your back foot directly over the mast. Test this by either high speed or steep swell. But all brands are different. Rider weight, fuselage length, stabilizer angle and size can have a huge effect on where the foil goes as well.

In general a rear strap should put your foot on the trailing edge of the mast or just behind it. But unless you're jumping I'd ditch the rear strap. And even then I only put my foot in the rear strap to jump. The rest of the time I use it similar to a kicktail.
Windjunky

Post by Windjunky »

But if its balanced and you can move both feet and foil simultaneously forward or back would you ride more forward on the board or more back or is the board itself dictating where you end up balanced. Hard to describe what I am meaning. I really like back foot strap for riding swell but seem to be the only one.
smartang

Post by smartang »

My board is 4'10x21 and -35-40L less than my weight so there's really only 1 place my front foot could go. Any further back and it'll shoot out from under me trying to takeoff. Any further forward and I'll sink the nose. I'd say you want your feet as far forward as possible without sinking the nose on takeoff to minimize swing weight.

You're brave to ride both feet in straps in swell. Too risky on wipeouts for me. Also adds a step to changing stance.
Windjunky

Post by Windjunky »

Yeah I suppose on a much smaller board there is not much area to give that option
smartang

Post by smartang »

Ok, I see you're on axis 1150. That's a big foil, and axis is known for high front foot pressure. You'll probably always have to be at the back of the board unless you switch to axis advance fuse and a much smaller foil.