Greater Victoria Windsports Society @ Clover Point

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
RIG_RAGE

Greater Victoria Windsports Society @ Clover Point

Post by RIG_RAGE »

Morning All,

Quick Update on the Clover Point Option 2 consultation.
Gerald, Ruth, Andres and myself have officially started the Greater Victoria Windsports Society to act as an an advocating body for our community in the CRD. Obviously an easy decision - given what is happening at Clover Point and Squamish right now. This society can serve to advocate for all of us, at any of our local beaches. (Island View, Willows, Pat Bay...) More to come as we progress through official registration.

Regarding Clover Point:
I met with the project lead from Parks yesterday. He's a great guy and intends to help our community thrive along Dallas Road with a particular focus on the Point right now.
We are being given 2 access points, through the split rail fence, to transit to and from the water on the East side. This is the best they could do to accommodate us while addressing the safety concerns of the public at large.
They will keep the area from the Westerly boat ramp to the grass clear of obstructions for safe transit to and from the water.
They are open to providing us with self launch fixtures. I've heard a couple ideas but feel free to PM me if you have any. Keep lawn mowers, children and dogs in mind.
They are installing a washroom with a hot shower by the Pump Station for us to warm up after a self rescue from the Bay. Although you may have to co-shower with the homeless.
They will keep signage to the bare minimum for us, as required by bylaw. Sounds like just the handicap parking stalls require above ground poles and all others can be painted on the ground.
We are working on a storage locker fixture to secure our extra gear while we're on the water.

This is all interim infrastructure before the City goes out for Public consultation in 2023 to develop a more permanent plan. Some of those potential plans include retuning Clover Point to the natural Clover field it was named after when Cook landed here (I haven't fact checked this historical reference).

We will continue to advocate through these interim plans and into the official consultations.

We'll keep you posted
Josh
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Josh: kudos to you for stepping up as a leader and spokesperson. It is one thing to complain on social media, a whole 'nother to actually get actively involved. Good job.

I am really impressed by the immediate improvements ... hot showers and storage lockers are both super. Seems unlikely they'd be able to make this entirely kite friendly, as just one group of many stakeholders. But having it designed with awareness of needs will at least help to avoid inadvertent impediments.

Beyond that, kiters will make do ... as when the wind is blowing, kiters always find a way to get kites in the air. It won't be perfect, but I expect it'll be an improvement from launching amidst parked cars and flying a kite while weaving through moving cars and pedestrians.
RIG_RAGE

Post by RIG_RAGE »

Good Morning All!
Here's the update on the Clover Point Option B plan and the formation of the Greater Victoria Windsports Society
Clover Point:
We were given access to the project lead and brought forth our ideas to a very welcoming municipal staff. They plan to accommodate our safety and access concerns, while still addressing their concerns for the public at large, within the scope of the council approved plan. A few key points include
- designated self launch locations
- a lower profile fencing- larger transit areas for us through the fencing
- limiting the number of parking signs and other hazardous obstructions
- installing hot showers and washrooms

Greater Victoria Windsports Society:
-Above is the best outcome we could have asked for given our current influence as a loosely organized community. To build on our position we have officially registered the Greater Victoria Windsports Society.
-This not for profit society of volunteers can act as a liaison for windsports participants across the region. From Island View and Pat Bay, to more tenuous spots like the Cook St and Willows Beaches, protecting safe access and promoting the region for all windsports users are the primary objectives.
-We also plan on tying into Tourism Victoria and other local groups to galvanize our presence and ensure our interests are considered before more changes are made at a government level. I think we can all agree that the changes being proposed at the Spit in Squamish would be devastating to that community and that it would be equally unfortunate for us to lose access to any of our local beaches.
- Looking further ahead at local tourism ties, the Society can also act as a host for future events like the GKA Pro Tour
-2023 is the year we are preparing for. City Council and Parks will be going out to the public for consultation on the future Clover Point plan. It is important that we organize ourselves by then and increase our membership by as many as possible.
What can you do now?:
- First and foremost, just keep doing what you do. Enjoy every windy day at all of our local beaches.
- Continue to be an upstanding liaison for the windsports community
- Continue showing the public what an amazing and inclusive community we are.
- We will be looking for someone to design a very simple website so if you know anyone in the community, have them reach out to me. Bro deal appreciated.
- We will be looking for membership in the coming months so PLEASE start spreading the word to your friends, family, businesses, spectators, anyone who participates in, or benefits from any windsport in the Greater Victoria Region.
- The board, which is all volunteer and will be regularly elected by the members, will take care of the initial costs to start this not-for-profit Society.
- We will be canvassing for sponsorships and/or have to charge a small annual fee for membership to cover the operating costs starting next year.
-This is where word of mouth comes in. The more members we have, the lower our membership costs will be and the more significant our influence will be across the region.
The effort of building this Society is an investment in protecting our, and future generations' use of the beaches in the area. We appreciate all of your help.

Thank You!
Greater Victoria Windsports Society
Ruth, Andres, Gerald & Josh
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

Thanks for your work guys! Any chance we could lobby for a weather station and webcam?
RIG_RAGE

Post by RIG_RAGE »

Couldn't hurt to ask. We'll make an inquiry.
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

bigwavedave.ca is critical for windsports in the region. I've spent decades sailing, more recently windsurfing, and the whole time I've used bigwavedave.ca for forecasts, webcams, and latest reports. I've tried other sources, like Environment Canada, windy.com, wunderground, etc., but almost always this site provides the most accurate information in a more practical way.
A lots of sailors use this site regularly. RVicYC sponsors the home page.
Also, I, and many others, wouldn't even know about this discussion, and I likely wouldn't have known about "picnic point", or issues at Squamish Spit, if it wasn't for this forum.
I think it would be prudent to consider how the new Society could also contribute to bigwavedave.ca which is an essential tool and pathway to knowledge for windsport enthusiasts in the region, beginner to advanced.
This is where the traffic is and where people will get the information.

I'd gladly pay membership dues especially if it helps support this site.
RIG_RAGE

Post by RIG_RAGE »

Couldn't agree more. Big Wave Dave has created the go-to resource for wind and water users of all types around the Island Region. The goal with creating the Society is to garner influence and public attention for our community. This should hopefully lead to more attention, influence and resources for every facet of our community including Bigwavedave.ca!
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

Great to have an advocacy for the regional wind community. Thank you for doing it. Look forward to becoming a member.
Not sure about public hot showers though. :lol:
But would be good to see a designated kite area there for sure.
winddude

Post by winddude »

=D> =D> =D>
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
TonyT1000
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by TonyT1000 »

Kudos to all of you - I would be happy to pay membership dues for both the Society and a subscription to the BWD site.