7.0M

General discussions about wingfoiling: equipment, tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, pump safety.
Windjunky
Website Donor
Website Donor

7.0M

Post by Windjunky »

Had so much fun last Saturday that I sold a board and have money for another wing or 2. My question is has anyone had success with a 7.0M wing ? or should I sell my 5 and get a 6 and a 4. Saturday seemed a bit overpowered on 5 (20-25knot gusts) but made it easy to get up on foil. Wanting to get out in as light as possible with 2000 cm wing and 140l board. or is money better spent on lighter 110l board for getting up in light wind?
Last edited by Windjunky on Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

I started out with Gong 7m and light wind dreams. The early Gong's were not well designed, I replaced it with an ozone 6m and found it had the same or greater low end power.

I have gone with a 4m/6m quiver. 4m works for me in 20kt-40kt (though uncomfortable at that....I am buying a 3m soon). The 6m works from 12kt to 20kt. There is some overlap in the middle where a 5m would be nice, but not enough to need one. Although once I get my 3m, if it's low end is low enough, maybe a 3/5 combo becomes realistic?

Big wings are heavy. Light wind chasing is hard work, pumping like crazy is like doing chin ups, you get gassed quick. It will be interesting to see if OR's hyper light alula wings will make the low end more achievable. It's also challenging to avoid dipping wing tips. So a 7m is definitely doable and fun to try ... but to be honest, sub 12kt for me has gone into the category of more effort than it's worth.

Boards: a smaller board will not likely help you much with light wind. The extra weight is more than offset by the loss of stability. It's nice to be able to stand there comfortably and wait for the puff that'll get you up again. However, a 140 is pretty big, probably that 110 will be your all-rounder once you're up to speed. Then maybe you get another smaller board if you want high wind ripping big jumpin' action. :-)
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

A 6.5/4.0 quiver of Slicks would be a hell of a nice setup. They are apparently very easy to keep out of the water.
Windjunky
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Windjunky »

6.5 might be a good compramise. I really like the handles on the cabrinha and would probably like the boom on the slick. Harder to find in stock maybe?

AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

Ya I watched a video with the Cabrinha wing last night and it looks pretty cool. Really stiff which they said was not as good for pumping but it looked pretty powerful.
My Slick is hopefully arriving in Canada end of May.
Windjunky
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Windjunky »

Anyone have a 7M? Nice to see one in person sometime
ootwest

Post by ootwest »

I'm liking my 6m Ozone Wasp V1 so far. Plan to get a 4m if wife/life/kids allow me to get out much on higher wind days.
Bigger wings sacrificing aspect ratio to fit the wingspan in, so I'd expect diminishing returns with size.
Windjunky
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Windjunky »

Just ordered a 6M and a 4M Cabrinha. Probably sell the 5 in the fall if I dont use it.l
GAatVic

Re:

Post by GAatVic »

ootwest wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:57 am I'm liking my 6m Ozone Wasp V1 so far. Plan to get a 4m if wife/life/kids allow me to get out much on higher wind days.
Bigger wings sacrificing aspect ratio to fit the wingspan in, so I'd expect diminishing returns with size.
Hey, I have a 4m ozone wasp v1, and being a complete beginner would likely benefit from a larger size wing. Do you want do a exchange?