Maui tips?

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
HiyoSilver

Maui tips?

Post by HiyoSilver »

Hey everyone, I’m hoping to go to Maui in April (or the fall), and searching for info here all threads are pretty old… Does anyone have any up to date tips for flights, accommodations, car and gear rental? Has anybody gone camping (tenting)? Thanks in advance!
Windjunky
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Maui tips?

Post by Windjunky »

Have camped there once at Olowalu not sure if thats spelled right, Nice clean washrooms and tentalow option is worth it up off the ground can be lots of puddles in regular tenting section. Used to use Kimos rent a car with no problems until this year they left us at the airport with no car said ours was in the shop? Didn't offer any solution or to take us to our hotel.Rental gear Kite-hi was cheaper but guy was pretty laidack and a bit hard to organize with but if going to Kanaha anyways pretty good option (kite and wing not sure about windurfing) have also rented windsurf gear from secondwind they were good but not cheap.
HiyoSilver

Post by HiyoSilver »

Thanks windjunky.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Best hack is to rent a U-Haul van and sleep in that in the U-haul car park beside Costco. Buddy from Toronto has done this twice for two weeks both times!

I have a line on a rental vehicle if you are looking.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

done the rental van myself, worked for 7 weeks quite nicely. There's better places to stay, but I considered the Kihei rental outlet parking lot too.....too noisy and no amenities :) I enjoyed quite a few in Kihei but it was stinking hot at times, Northshore is nicer.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
ozy

Post by ozy »

I’ve done AL West Maui vans and got a cargo van then went to Home Depot and put a bed in it
ozy

Post by ozy »

Good camping here also Papalaua Wayside Park