WHEN TO KITE AND WHEN TO NOT

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy

MOre.....

Post by SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy »

I am glad this discussion is happening. Really.

I would like to illustrate by an example of something that happened yesterday at Nitinaht.....a new kiter on very old gear, being taught by a well meaning relative, ejected after getting yarded downwind. His kite while airborn hit another kiter's lines. It didn't cause any chaos luckily, and hit the water. It could have fallen on the kiter's head causing the kiter to lose control, or the bar could have become entwined with that kiter's lines causing a major and potentially fatal kitemare should that kite have again become powered.

I learned to kite in rural nova scotia. at the time there was no one offering lessons. I winged it. I then lived in Africa where there was no one offering lessons. I winged it again, nearly killing myself and several small children on a beach. It's not something I'm proud of. Infact it kept me away from the water for 3 years. Back at it, I decided to get lessons and it was the best thing I ever did. Now I'm going to take another one cause I'm starting to jump.

KUS is right about an accident threatening all of our beach access. More important though is the consequence for the family that loses a child due to negligence. Some of the comments levied may seem a little harsh, and we don't want to be unwelcoming to new people seeking entrance to the sport. However, kiting is an extremely technical and risky sport. Please take lessons. There is no substitute and no short cut here. The money you invest in lessons will pay dividends in terms of you keeping your gear intact, your body intact and others safe.

Good luck and see you at the beach.
Kevin

If your happiness depends on money, you will never be happy. Be content with what you have take joy in the way things are. When you realize you have all you need, the World belongs to you.
duckbill

Post by duckbill »

if i wanted to get into windsurfing for the first time, I would spend a week in maui, with an instructor, and after that week i would have saved years of trial, error, and frustration. Instruction = lots of smiles and miles on the water. Save your time, spend your money, nurture your soul.
like a duck to water
eastside

Post by eastside »

So when are we signing up for the Jem Hall wavecamp in San Carlos Duckbill? Take a lesson, get a dvd, ask some questions....we are lucky cause our "pros" are approachable and will help with your questions, but they can't be expected to replace profession instruction, especially in kiting. You can "waste" years floundering around trying to figure it out yourself.
ambientrax

Post by ambientrax »

hmmmm...more wind
Last edited by ambientrax on Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

It's good that you are a quick learner but.....u obviously don't get it... :roll: Let's just hope we don't read about you
JL

Post by JL »

OR he took a lesson(s) ?! 8)
Thermals are good.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

know the eject mantra blindfolded
Last edited by KUS on Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
57palm

newbie kiters

Post by 57palm »

Hey guys Reuben here, I just feel I should add my 2 cents to the discussion. After one great season kiting and progress greater than I would have ever expected I now find myself no longer the "new" or "beginner" kiter. It would seem that torch has been passed onto a host of new locals looking for wind as Nitnhat has now ended. As I was warned and sometimes offended by comments regarding local spots and new kiters I shall pass the torch on.

For all you new kiters GET SOME LESSONS OR HELP FROM EXPERIENCED KITERS and STAY AWAY FROM COOK ST UNTIL YOU CAN STAY UPWIND!!!!! In the last month and especially week I have witnessed several things at local beaches that could have ended up in real disasters (you know who you are). This sport is relatively safe if approached correctly but has an edge that can be downright deadly if not respected.

As some of you newbies can attest to do not be afraid to ask for help or ask questions. If you are not the type of person to do the research (reading) yourself you better be prepared to get someone to teach you, I don't care who but get some instruction.

Regarding the Cook St thing, yeah it is kiteable for newbies with some hazards to watch for (reef, cliffs NW winds, pedestrians, kelp beds, narrow hot launch etc.) but as you are thinking, the main reason for avoidance is the combination of high visibility and innocent bystanders. I am sure any of us would regret a beach closing accident all for the sake of a little impatience in learning.

I respected what the experienced kiters told me and stayed away until I had a decent handle on things. As a result I have yet to have any incidents at Cook. I did make my share of mistakes but at a location with both a lower profile and greater margin of error.

Use common sense out there, good luck,

Reuben
JL

Post by JL »

Personally I feel that 'newbies' are best using a buddy system & enjoying N. through S.E winds @ Island view ... The big advantages are the field for launching & the huge 'catchment area' created by Cordova spit (to the N.) ... Keep in mind as we move into fall that 'frontal' winds are inconsistent & watch for indications that the wind is dropping, increasing significantly or turning off shore ... A great time of year to pick up one of the fine weather books http://www.weatheroffice.pyr.ec.gc.ca/p ... ult_e.html from your local library ... Enjoy the fall kiting & play safe.

Post by blackdogvan »

I'm trying to stay a casual observer on the JR lesson story but I just wanted to make sure I had something correct in my head.

Are we talking about the same person who was being assisted by a coast guard zodiac which ended up a total write-off on the rocks in Tofino and on a separate occasion put out the power on Saltspring with a kite into powerlines?
AC

Post by AC »

Every one hurts them selves or there kites gear
at one point or another.

It is the worst when you think you, KNOW IT ALL,
and are OVER CONFIDENT, or SHOWING OFF,
Then you end up on the beach or crashing into someone.

Kite boarding has come along ways, Not only people looking
out for each other, Which is amazing,But with the growth of the
sport it is essential that people watch out for each other .
If any kite boarder sees, or is on the beach with someone
doing something wrong , There is nothing wrong and appreciated
from everyone that you will take the time to say something.
And Experienced kite boarders should state to the the persons
screwing up that there is a problem
and maybe in a nice way , They can help. But if the Person
does refuse help and proceeds to do things wrong. People
Should DO something about it.
No matter the experience of any kite boarder and someone
comes to give you advice , 'listen ' it may come in handy or save
someone or something from injury.

There No point poking, They know the mistakes they made and
maybe they will listen and learn from it. And Stop YELLING ALREADY ,Maybe they have to learn 100 things ,And Yes ,
Some will be the hard way .
I guess IKO lets just about anyone GET IKOLD certified.
if they can tell the wind direction:)
Mark

just giv'er

Post by Mark »

just giv'er.....hope to be back soon.....adding to the kaos.....later kooks!
ambientrax

Kite gear question...

Post by ambientrax »

Uhhhmmmm...kinda off topic here... so yeah, anyways... My 7m naish bolt is crap in heavy wind/gusts.....too squirly... I need a smaller kite that will handle well with gusty heavy west coast conditions... any suggestions? I only weigh 150-155 and I am looking for a very stable kite for these conditions. maybe a chaos? just wondering what some of you think.
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

I second the Storm. I am 170lb and I can ride it comfortably in 40-50kn.