Johnny Read

Races, swaps, beer nights, clinics, etc.

Mark

Post by Mark »

After a week of 'speechlessness'........which many know is very difficult for me.....I have set out on a 'VOODMON SPACE JOURNEY' tonight. This was assisted by the Sprungmann’s being told that they could not enter the Penney Farthing....as it be....I would like to thank Sr. Watson and the Harrington's for their thoughtful schemes to sneak us and our little one in (Alexander).......As their schemes ran through my head.....I thought to myself what would Johnny say for me to do.....(while the visions of Robby Scott ‘scolding’ me in his kind, polite fatherly way also rushed through my head)...... LOL….. So…. in the end… I stood proud with my ‘little family’ and decided not to re-enter the Penney Farthing…......It was during this time and at the beach today that it really dawned upon me on how many people in our ‘surfing/sailing community' were and have been a big part of my journey through life... We are a family .… and Johnny brought the family that much closer together…..
The one thing that I have difficulty accepting at this time is that 'Uncle Johnny’ will not be around to see his friends… their families…. and their children’s journeys through life ….. as we will. I also know that I/we are saddened and disappointed that we will not be able to share more time with Johnny and be a part of his adventurous life. The one thing that I do know is that John loved being a part of our lives’ as we did his!
JL

Post by JL »

In honor of John Read I shall endeavor to promote a meeting of our kiting / surfing / windsurfing community on the eighth day of the fourth month every year ... JR Day ... We love you John ... I thank all of you who / posted / spoke & showed up on this the first annual J.R. event ... Heartfelt wishes to friends & family of Graham as well ...
Thermals are good.
Snarfer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Fair Winds, John

Post by Snarfer »

I didn't know John very well but the few times I did meet him he was a friendly, jovial guy always stoked and ready to hit the water. I'm sure he's up there with Graham Norris and that they're launching each others kites as they did from time to time at Island View. I'm sorry that he is gone and wish my best to him and my thoughts are with his family and the many friends he has made over the years.
Wavos Rancheros

Missed and remembered.

Post by Wavos Rancheros »

John shared something with everyone he met. It is something that those who knew him longest appreciate the most, and it is what they share of his memory. It makes many of us wish we'd known him better, and could have known him longer. He carried the word friend in a way that was equal to everyone. He showed us all some love. Thank you John, and to all of your friends who would trade their tears for another one of your smiles.

Roger and Marina
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Wow

Thanks to everyone who had a hand in helping/organizing/participating in JR's send off----------he would have been stoked. Without dought, that was as much fun as the circumstances allowed.

Thanks to everyone involved.

Gareth
Its all about the adventure and stoke!
extremekindness Erik

What a guy!

Post by extremekindness Erik »

John! Manalive! What a radical guy!

I have just returned from a silent meditation to find that wonderful guy is no longer kiting with us.

I sure am sad to hear that. He was an awesome guy with kindness in abundance. A great kiter, a tough guy and one of the original crew, he didn't have to be friendly but he sure was.

He made me feel welcome and appreciated at Dallas. He gave me pointers, asked genuine questions, told amazing and hilarious stories and played a big part in my kiting experience. Thanks John.

He is one of my role models. The kind of person I would want to emulate when I had 30 more years added to my life. (Namely, shredding harder and boosting bigger than most people half his age, all the time with a heap of stoke) Totally a legend!

Your attitude will be carried on at beach but the community will miss you.

"Every heart that has beat strongly and cheerfully has left a hopeful impulse behind it in the world, and bettered the tradition of mankind."
Robert Stevenson

Thanks for sharing your stoke with the rest of John. Many great adventures to come.

Love,

ExtremeKindnessErik
sonicspectrum

Re: What a guy!

Post by sonicspectrum »

extremekindness Erik wrote:...he asked genuine questions...
Nothing could better sum up my impressions of Johnny. He took interest in everyone around him. I have found myself really regretting not having taken more time to know him better, outside of kiting. Reading his poems today and hearing them read by Frankie, seeing his drawings, I never knew such a gregarious and direct man could have such a soft and introspective soul.

Johnny has likely taught us all many lessons on life and kindness, openness and honesty. The most significant lessons I am going to take from his passing is to more honestly express interest in other's lives and beliefs and to value every moment we have together as it could be the last.

Thank-you Johnny,

John Z
shelley buchanan

Post by shelley buchanan »

Hey Johnny,
Somewhere between here and there.
Hugs from the heart,
Always a part,
You, me,
Land and sea.
Smile it looks good on you.
From all of us
We miss you
Shelley B
Wavos Rancheros

Video Links

Post by Wavos Rancheros »

Glad I was able to share the videos I have of John on Youtube with everyone. Here they are in the highest quality I can manage to get on the Web.

Laying Out the Lines

http://oceankayaker.ca/080406jr/lotl2.html

Kiting Nitinat 2003

http://oceankayaker.ca/080406jr/Lotl.html

If the slide show that we viewed at the service is available I would be happy to convert it for web viewing.

Roger (Wavos Rancheros) 412-2607

John's Dream
http://www.bigwavedave.ca/gallery/displ ... =19&pos=77
Iggy

Early Days at Nitinat

Post by Iggy »

John talking about the early days at Nitinat when a full house was a dozen people.
I remember them well John...sometimes like yesterday... wish you were here to reminisce about the old days my friend... we all miss you.

Posted by Johnny Read May 2006

Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:45 am Post subject: Beautiful Nitinaht Discovered by windseekers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back in the early 80's when windsurfing was growing in popularity in leaps and bounds. Sailors were continually searching for new spots to sail. The wind sometimes carried to their ears, information of new spots to explore. Nitinaht Lake was one of these area's. At this time, only a small group of sailors ventured off to explore, there were only a handfull then. Not the numbers that exist today. Grinding, on a dirt road, seeking wind. Just how much wind could there be?And why there? Could it be, that this place, inhabited by a peacefull people from long ago. Be a constant source of steady wind. These early windseekers,after hours of travel, on a hellish road. Come to a large body of water. Greeted by these friendly people called the Ditidaht, with open arms. The forest surrounding the lake,astounding beauty. And.....Wind...Lots of wind. These windseekers created a unspoken pact with the Ditidaht people to preserve and protect the site out of respect and awe. To this day these people have welcomed us without hesitation. The numbers of folks arriving now to witness the beauty of their land has much increased. And so has thier hospitality. Times are changing,the world is too! Let us as a whole, try to keep Nitinaht as the Ditidaht people have for so long. respect it's wonder, and its spender. I have always felt a soothing presence,a melding of sorts. I hope everyone can. And allways will.

Post by Mike P »

I've been away from the community, and do not really know what to say . First Graham now Johnny. Both friends of mine, and easy to solicite smiles.

God Bless
Mike
Mike
mudboss

nitnaht ceremony concept

Post by mudboss »

is it possible to divide the ashes of the happy scotsman and float them on a piece of driftwood from the creek upwind into the lake, some of us sailing, some of us standing in the shallow river giving him a beautiful floatonto a spiritual lake he loved so much. a proper burial at sea . a piper in the shallows would make for a powerful moment for all of us
mudboss

Post by mudboss »

by divide i meant half at cook st half at nitnaht. piper referred to bag piper thanks
sherry

Post by sherry »

April 2, 2008
6 years have gone by fast
remembering JR today
JL

Post by JL »

8) I can still hear the ' Hah Hah' :P Apr. 8 is Tuesday. Any Ideas :?: :idea: Shepard's Pie: http://www.pennyfarthingpub.com/
Thermals are good.