Gordons parking issues

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Vik

Post by Vik »

about to head to Gordon's for my first session there since moving to Victoria....glad this was a sticky so I was aware of the issues. We'll make sure to park properly and not cause any problems... :roll:
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
JL

Post by JL »

I thought I would update this old thread. With the interest in kiting Gordons Beach I've updated the 'wiki' to help new users :P http://www.bigwavedave.ca/wiki/index.php/Gordons_Beach
Thermals are good.
windeemanic

Post by windeemanic »

I think it is good that we have actual intel from a reident. My guess is that it is non-regulars that are leaving garbage, cutting through yards, and blocking driveways. It is up to the regular kiters and windsurfers to educate the newbies. I have however seen girlfriends of kiters cutting through properties to access the beach in front of Tugwell creek. Unless you have permission, don't do it. I personally think there really is only room for 3-5 cars by the access. I have come close to taking out car doors, windsurfers, and bare butts. Do you really want to be picked up by an ambulance with nothing but your skivees on? Educate, respect, and show common sense.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Re: Gordon's issues

Post by bwd »

Saturday July 10 (yesterday) was a busy day at Gordon’s and there were complaints from the neighbours about parking in front of and too close to their driveways. I know this wasn’t intentional, but PLEASE be aware of where you park and make sure it is at least 6ft away from a driveway. There are a few fenced in driveways that are difficult to spot, especially the house right next to the windsurf launch.

Thanks!
bwd wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:41 pm So it's time to bring these issues up before the Gordon's season really starts. This year we have to be a lot better at respecting the home owners private property and not blocking driveways. Most of this is common sense, but it seems that some people are still having problems with this, so in summary:

1. DO NOT block driveways. Leave at least 6ft on either side of the driveways so the residents can get in and out safely.

2. DO NOT cut through property to get to the beach. The only access to the beach from the road is through the public access, and along the creek bed. Kiters should park at the bridge and walk along the creek bed to the point to launch.

3. DO NOT turn around in driveways. Drive past the parking spot and turn around at the bridge . Better yet, park at the bridge.

4. DO NOT leave any garbage behind.

Can anyone think of anything else? Perhaps someone can add to this and print it out and we can laminate it and post it in a few places. We need to start self-policing this area better if we want to continue to have access. If you see someone new (or old) doing something wrong then please point it out to them.

There are also some good suggestions in the posts above. Maybe we can work with the residents to get the driveways marked a bit better. We should also look at alternate locations to sail. Also carpooling can help a lot. Lets try to have a good season and not piss off the residents this time.
Thanks,
Dave
HiyoSilver

Re: Gordons parking issues

Post by HiyoSilver »

And DO park tightly, leaving room for others.