Gordons parking issues

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Johnnyman

Post by Johnnyman »

I'm with BWD I guess he posted while I was writing my hot head reply!
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

bwd wrote:I agree that it should remain open and clear, but also that there is no real reason for it to be as wide as it is. If Kus can park his truck in there then it is too wide.
Couldn't agree more.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I LOVE YOU GUYS :D
you in particular Johnny :oops: ok, I feel much better now with my meds updated...and Dave needs to be in politics, I'd vote for ya Hollowbones :!: you overly mature (esp for a male) no-nonsense peacemaker, you

I will inquire about signage with MOT for the corner to slow traffic or at least warn of potential congestion. Those turning in driveways, give yer friggen head a shake, I haven't seen this but, man, ya gotta be asking for a T-bone disaster :roll:
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

One problem with parking at the bridge is that it reduces the amount of space for a U-turn. I've had to do a 3-pt turn there twice now, where I normally go straight round. Stopping and backing up while square to the traffic is hard on the nerves! If parking at the bridge is required, leave a space to back into while already pulled off if possible - then the turning time actually on the road is minimized. I don't believe there is a handy/safe alternative up the road further, but thats from a couple of years ago, anyone know different? Certainly a lowered speed limit along here would be sensible, if followed. "Sports bikes slow to 150".
Keen
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Keen »

not to divert attention from the issue of bad parking practices, but on a related note and in the spirit of looking for alternatives on busy days, has anyone ever driven down Blackfish road? It looks like the end of it has water access as there are no lot boundaries shown.

you can investigate here: http://www.crd.bc.ca/maps/natural/atlas.htm
turn on the orthophotos once you zoom in.
Last edited by Keen on Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

I may be mistaken, but Blackfish Rd takes you UP to a lookout, doesn't it? I didn't see a path (or road) down when I was last there.
Poultry in motion
Keen
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Keen »

yeah could be... the contours look a little 'ridgy' but i've never been there...
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

Blackfish Rd ends as a bluff lookout only. Its a great spot for checking the windlilne on sketchy wind days. There is a legal road access but the "access" is a steep/vertical bluff similiar to Cook Street but 50% higher.

Still if there were stairs or a safe track to the beach it would be "accessible".
Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

The distance form the tip of Blackfish Rd to the water edge is only 40 m, and it is quite a steep hill there. According to the map on this 40 meters you get 20 m of elevation :shock: pretty hilly if you ask me
Cancer must die!
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

In response to BWD’s excellent ideas for discussion here are some thoughts:

Clearing the E area of the beach access to allow for parking
The existing rigging area and beach access is actually a legal right of way known as “Razzo Road”. We have access because of the efforts of Giles et al in the mid-90’s after Muir Creek access got gated. The width of the right of way is 66’ of which we have only cleared about 25-30’.
So yes we could potentially double the area, but parking for only about 4-5 cars packed into one side and then potential problems of turning area inside for access for cars/trucks to park. I don’t want to think about the other potential problems with people competing for these spots.
Also we could definitely use this expanded area for rigging on busy days.

Clear a stretch of the roadside to the E of the access for parking
A good idea since there are fewer driveways/houses heading down towards Martin’s.
Would need to get BC Min of Highways involvement.

Getting a barrier built along the roadside (for safety)
The barrier (concrete barrier) would have to be placed to allow easy access for cars to come and go. Not sure how this could be accomplished without many gaps in barrier.

Look at getting the speed limit decreased along that stretch and have it policed?Definitely need traffic to slow down both ways with better signage. Local residents need to petition highways for this to happen.

Look at other sailing sites so we can spread out - Muir Creek access.
We sailed out of here in the late 1980’s and early 1990’s before the present access was opened. Before that we sailed out of the abandoned dry land sort where Martin’s and other houses now are. To bad a small park was not created there in the past. I petitioned BC Parks in 1986 about acquiring this land for this purpose but got nowhere.
For Muir Creek access we need to work with the Muir Creek Protection Society (check out their website). They have been working for years to establish a park here on Timberwest land. When I lived in Sooke I was a member, attended meetings and wrote letters to BC government. We should have somebody for the local area (Pasta Dude?) represent our windsurfing interests with the Protection Society.

Maybe we can work with the residents to improve the no parking signs near their driveways. That way we know how much space they need and there is no confusion. I'm sure the website can pay for anything that's needed.Absolutely this has to be done asap. Each driveway needs the width of the driveway plus about 5 feet or 2 metres either side for visibility of highway traffic to safely turn out onto highway. Small signs indicating the area or spray paint no parking boundary lines in the gravel (?).
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

thanks RocDoc, all excellent points. Have taken these forward today, we'll see what happens, if anything.

Inasfar as the CRBarrier, similarly to the ferry causeway access, you can have angle parking with a lane protected by the CRB. The Rightofway extends quite far on both sides and could accommodate this as well as simply widening the stretch down toward Martins as well. I still think the north side of the highway is the best opportunity, better sight distance, space, no drainage issues and slower traffic away from the parked vehicles.

A couple large logs or rocks 3' on either side of the driveway should suffice for owners to pull out safely....adding the rock width and distance to the car coming to about 5-6'. Driveways I am aware of allow for turnaround inside the property with exception of one where they back in.

I am also very concerned about the mess and inapprorpiate removal of ALL the rip rap around the group of 4 pines on the waterfront which we will surely lose if nothing is done before winter.....the two or three token rocks left behind after the rip rap was moved/stolen is a bit of a joke....not to mention those trees will fall on the now rip rap protected house downwind :roll:

Post by 240 »

Great ideas Dave, that sounds like a great start. People who live here and have spent enough time kiting and windsurfing, know about the basic rules of respecting each other on and off the water. This parking issue can easily be resolved by talking to new comers and beginners on the beach. I find that not enough of that happens on the beach as it does on BWD. It is the same reason that people who have no clue are showing up a Cook St. and putting them selves and others at risk of getting injured or worse. Talking about this here is great, but really, talk to people you don't recognize and tell them what is up. I get that when I travel south at almost every beach along the coast, because it is the same there too. I feel we should do the same here as well. Even a simple note on there car will help.
Jordan
bwd
Developer
Developer

Re: Gordon's issues

Post by bwd »

jcpresto wrote:The issues that have been relayed to me by my Co-owners of the property which the access site divides are as follows.

1. Parking accross driveways
2. Not leaving enough space to safely leave their properties or enter their properties.
3. Trespassing on the property by cutting through the lots to get access to the beach.
4. Leaving garbage behind, ie: drink containers, fast food wrapers etc. which we have been cleaning up.

We as owners enjoy watching your skills and enjoyment of the area. We have concerns as to your safety parking on the corner, climbing on the rocks at higher tides and how to assist if there is an accident on the water.

I have read some of your ideas and will begin a discussion with the other owners. We have marked the driveways in the past with cones only to have them disappear.

No owners have given permission to turn around, Park, or enter their property.

Walking through the creek I do not see as a problem as the Tidal Boundry is the bridge. Therefore the creekbed from the bridge is considered beach.

I hope through Respect and Co-operation we can avoid more drastic measures to resolve these problems.
So it's time to bring these issues up before the Gordon's season really starts. This year we have to be a lot better at respecting the home owners private property and not blocking driveways. Most of this is common sense, but it seems that some people are still having problems with this, so in summary:

1. DO NOT block driveways. Leave at least 6ft on either side of the driveways so the residents can get in and out safely.

2. DO NOT cut through property to get to the beach. The only access to the beach from the road is through the public access, and along the creek bed. Kiters should park at the bridge and walk along the creek bed to the point to launch.

3. DO NOT turn around in driveways. Drive past the parking spot and turn around at the bridge . Better yet, park at the bridge.

4. DO NOT leave any garbage behind.

Can anyone think of anything else? Perhaps someone can add to this and print it out and we can laminate it and post it in a few places. We need to start self-policing this area better if we want to continue to have access. If you see someone new (or old) doing something wrong then please point it out to them.

There are also some good suggestions in the posts above. Maybe we can work with the residents to get the driveways marked a bit better. We should also look at alternate locations to sail. Also carpooling can help a lot. Lets try to have a good season and not piss off the residents this time.
Thanks,
Dave
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
Wavos Rancheros

past the bridge

Post by Wavos Rancheros »

I met the owners of a big hunk of the land just beyond the bridge, at a grey cup party last year, and they were very friendly and knowledgeable about the area. They would be great people to relay questions through, if any concerns/incidents get serious in future.

The main thing they wanted to relay was that there is quite a bit of space beyond the bridge, that belongs to them, which is fine for parking. It's no surprise we all want the primo parking spot next to the ws launch, but, honestly, if you lived there, how would you like to see the parking situation that arises, everytime the wind blows...? It always looks a bit crammed and dangerous, given the narrowness of the shoulder.

They also confirm that the high tide line reaches the bridge, so the banks of the creek are fair game for walkers, which should make the ideal park spot for kiters just beyond the bridge. None of the land immediately surrounding the bridge is private either, so safe to access the creek from there...

Any more thoughts on using the community to gain access through the gate at the muir creek sailing site just farther west?
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Reccomend not parking in the ditch... where Shaggy parked. Tough to make it home afterwards.
Don't forget to bring a towel!